Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

Diner Lite Testing To Begin Next Month

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2006, 6:55 pm
In Memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Amtrak Exec

As posted else where on the net from a NARP email:

To NARP Members, November 22, 2006--

As part of its efforts to improve the economic performance of overnight trains, and to give passengers more choices about when they can enjoy sit-down meals, Amtrak--as we have reported in our newsletter--plans to convert dining cars and lounge cars to "diner-lounges". One of the major service improvements in the converted car will be continuous sit-down meal service from 6:30 am to 11:00 pm with a wider menu variety. In some situations, Amtrak will reduce mechanical and fuel expenses by running a single food car. The exact number of such "situations" is yet to be determined and will be of great interest to NARP and most travelers on these trains.

Superliner diner conversions will happen first because they are simpler than conversions of Sightseer lounges. After NARP pressed the importance of having a "prototype" run first, Amtrak agreed to do that, although still on an aggressive schedule. Conversions of other diners (and lounges) will only happen after Amtrak gets feedback from operation of the prototype on the "Capitol Limited" during part of December and most of January. The dates shown below assume no service interruptions, and no need to pull the car due to mechanical problems. We will do our best to notify you of any deviations from the schedule shown below. Also, if you are planning to ride just to see the diner-lounge, remember that Amtrak no longer imposes a service charge for reservation changes. (If you make a change that generates a refund, you can use the refund as full-value credit towards future travel, or pay a 10% service charge to get cash.)

The prototype will operate two ways-as the single feature car on the train and as lounge on a train that also carries a diner. January dates could vary by about one day-this should be known by next week. For all trips, the plan is to turn the car (and train) the same day in Chicago; in most cases, the next round-trip follows one overnight in Washington.

SINGLE CAR OPERATION: Depart Washington--Sun Dec 10; Sat Dec 16; Thurs Jan 4; Sun Jan 7; Wed Jan 10; Sat Jan 13; Tues Jan 16; Fri Jan 19; Mon Jan 22; Thurs Jan 25; Sun Jan 28
Depart Chicago--Mon Dec 11; Sun Dec 17; Fri Jan 5; Mon Jan 8; Thurs Jan 11; Sun Jan 14; Wed Jan 17; Sat Jan 20; Tues Jan 23; Fri Jan 26; Mon Jan 29

When the car is running by itself, the sit-down meal service will be as follows:

6:30-11 AM breakfast

11:00 AM-11:00 PM "all-day" menu--primarily lunch items and a variety of new casual dining appetizer baskets, plus some breakfast "carry-over" items

5:00-9:00 PM dinner by reservation (in addition to "all-day" items)

OPERATION AS LOUNGE (next to regular diner)

Depart Washington-Tues Dec 19; Fri Dec 22; Mon Dec 25; Thurs Dec 28; Sun Dec 31
Depart Chicago-Wed Dec 20; Sat Dec 23; Tues Dec 26; Fri Dec 29; Mon Jan 1

If you are able to ride a train with this car, which is number 37000, please send me your comments, bearing in mind that production cars will be different from the prototype in many ways. Here are some of the changes Amtrak already plans.

* The all-vinyl prototype car floor has many seams; most will be eliminated.
* Tables will conform more to the shape of the seats.
* The smaller tables will be larger-big enough to hold three full meals.

* Colors will be coordinated, replacing slightly varying shades of blue.

* Curtains on the prototype are blue fabric from Superliner sleepers (vendor missed deadline for outfitting car) but are planned to be a sheer fabric in production.
* A condiment station will be added opposite the walk-up service counter
* A product display case will be added adjacent to the service counter
* Table tops, walls and ceiling coverings will be same color and pattern as the material used on the bulkhead adjacent to center service area (behind elevator enclosure)

Have a safe and happy Thanksgiving, and thank you again for your support of NARP!

--Ross B. Capon, Executive Director
Old Nov 30, 2006, 11:09 am

Programs: Alas, the Gravy Train Hath Ended...just happy to be an OW Sapphire and a ST Ivory...whatever
Is this the new plated-meal-on-plastic that I have been hearing about?
Old Nov 30, 2006, 11:49 am

Programs: Peon in all
Question

* A condiment station will be added opposite the walk-up service counter
Does this mean "serve yourself meals"? I (and I assume many others) have a problem carrying a tray of food on solid ground! I would have more trouble on a train rocking at 79 MPH!
Old Nov 30, 2006, 5:02 pm
In Memoriam
Original Poster

Originally Posted by theblakefish
Is this the new plated-meal-on-plastic that I have been hearing about?
No, the pre-plated meals was called SDS (Simplified Dining Service) and that was largely implemented by May of this year. SDS was the first step and a needed step for Diner Lite.

Diner Lite (DL) replaces two cars, the cafe car and the dining car, with one car that will in theory serve both functions now.

Both programs SDS and DL are Amtrak's answer to the Congressional mandate from last year to stem the loss of over $100 Million each year on food service. I for one believe however that, unfortunately the reduced service is going to lead to reduced revenue and will not stem the losses. Even worse, it's likely to lead to reduce ridership, which in turn will lead to reduced revenue for the entire company.
Old Nov 30, 2006, 5:08 pm
In Memoriam
Original Poster

Originally Posted by the_traveler
Does this mean "serve yourself meals"? I (and I assume many others) have a problem carrying a tray of food on solid ground! I would have more trouble on a train rocking at 79 MPH!
In typical Amtrak fashion when cutting service, Amtrak is not revealing many of the actual details of their plan. They often seem to do that when they know that their plan isn't going to make people happy, and may even been a foolish plan, so that no one can criticize things until it's already too late.

However, I believe but have not been able to confirm, that those seeking cafe service will indeed have to carry their food just like they do right now. Those however seeking sit down dining service will still be able to have an attendant bring their food.

One area that I'm very unclear on is, will there be seperate tables/seating areas for diners vs cafe patrons or will they comingle at the various tables.
Old Dec 1, 2006, 11:56 am

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, UA Prem. Ex., AAdvantage Gold
Well I will be on the Dec 10th first run of this car (PGH-CHI), so I will post my observations, I will only catch breakfast then, since dinner is served before arrival into PGH. I hope this is a good thing, but I am sure going to miss the Sightseer Lounge car.
Old Dec 1, 2006, 12:04 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, UA Prem. Ex., AAdvantage Gold
Ha noticed I will also catch #37000 from CHI-PGH the next day (Monday) Dec 11th, so I will have a complete report then since they serve dinner leaving CHI.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.