Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

Electrical Outlets on Superliner (Texas Eagle)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2006, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MB, AGR, AA

I've searched the web and FlyerTalk, but haven't found a short, nice answer to my question of "What is the location of the one or two electrical outlets on the Superliner coach car (or the cars that I will encounter on the Texas Eagle this week)?"

Thanks in advance for anyone who can give me hints on what seat numbers to seek out when I board.

Timbeaux
Old Nov 9, 2006, 3:19 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: HH Diamond, Amtrak Exec
While I've never personally gone looking for the outlets, I've been told that they are at 19 and 55. I've also heard reports that from time to time the outlets are partially, if not fully blocked by the seats themselves. This could be especially true if you are planning to plug in a brick. So you may want to bring along a surge protector or at least a short extension cord.

Failing getting a seat next to an outlet, you should be able to recharge things in the cafe car at the outlets by the tables on the lower level. There is also an outlet in the upstairs service area, but I would ask for permission before trying to use that outlet. Some crews don't like people behind those counters, even though they aren't used except on the Empire Builder.
Old Nov 9, 2006, 6:21 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM
I would recommend a surge protector regardless. If the head end power from the locomotive drops out and comes back on, there is the possibility of a surge that may not be very friendly to electronic devices.
Old Nov 9, 2006, 7:18 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles, AGR, Club Carlson
On the lower level of each car right be the doors that lead outside there is an outlet. Although I wouldn't leave my phone charging while we pull into a station, I'm worried someone will run out the door with my phone.
Old Nov 10, 2006, 6:15 am

Programs: DELTA SM, HILTON GOLD, SPG GOLD
Don't take my word for it, but I think in the refurbished coaches, there are outlets at every seat.
Old Nov 10, 2006, 6:47 am
In Memoriam

Programs: HH Diamond, Amtrak Exec
Originally Posted by firstflyer
Don't take my word for it, but I think in the refurbished coaches, there are outlets at every seat.
You are correct, as the coaches go through the refurbishment process Amtrak is installing outlets at every seat. However at the moment those refurbs are in a minority, so the odds of your finding one aren't good.

So far, based upon what info I can find, there are only about 20 of those coaches in service out of almost 150.
Old Nov 10, 2006, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MB, AGR, AA
[QUOTE=AlanB]While I've never personally gone looking for the outlets, I've been told that they are at 19 and 55. I've also heard reports that from time to time the outlets are partially, if not fully blocked by the seats themselves. This could be especially true if you are planning to plug in a brick. So you may want to bring along a surge protector or at least a short extension cord.

Thanks AlanB! You win the prize. The outlets were located at seats 19 and 55. The one at 19 was blocked by the seat. The one at 55 is usable. I got so excited I even took pictures, but I don't see a way to add them to these posts.

At any rate, I'll be surfing the 'net (like I'm doing right now) and watching DVDs on my trip from DAL to LRK.

Timbeaux.

PS: Train 22 departed only one hour behind schedule, which doesn't really bother me. What did upset me is that both the regular Amtrak web site and the mobile phone optimized site gave me incorrect information about the status of the train. It was only when I called "Julie" that I found out it was running behind.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.