Wiki Posts
Search

PHL 30th St Station to PHL Airport?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2006, 7:14 am
Original Poster

PHL 30th St Station to PHL Airport?

Hi,

Am traveling NYP to Philadelphia 30th Street Station next week, with the goal of getting to the Philadelphia Airport to meet a colleague who is flying in from Ottawa in the morning.

I saw on a web site there is a subway-esque train service from the train station to the airport, however the SEPTA website was too cryptic for me to figure out times, fares, or even what the rail line was called so I can find it at 30th St station.

Can anyone offer some advice on the transfer from Amtrak to the SEPTA to get to the Airport? Is it reliable and reasonable to do?

Mike
Old Oct 2, 2006, 7:21 am

I don't have any advice on how good the service is on the R1 line, but here's a PDF of the schedule for the line.
Old Oct 2, 2006, 7:40 am

Programs: DEN: WN or UA, AA LT Gold, VIA Preference Preferred
Originally Posted by flyingmike
Can anyone offer some advice on the transfer from Amtrak to the SEPTA to get to the Airport? Is it reliable and reasonable to do?

Mike
SEPTA heavy rail takes you from 30th St. right to the terminal at PHL. When I rode it a few years ago it stopped at each separate concourse, so you had to know which airline used which concourse. It was just like stepping out of a bus or taxi at the counters. One of the better intermodal connections, IMHO.
Old Oct 2, 2006, 8:07 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

I have taken this route one time and found it very simple. As you arrive into the Philadelphia station from Amtrak, follow the signs to the SEPTA area. You can purchase the ticket to the airport from the ticket windows - according to the SEPTA website, it will cost you $5.50 for a one-way ticket. Also, as someone mentioned, check the airport website to see which terminal you need www.phl.org.
Old Oct 2, 2006, 10:43 am
In Memoriam

Programs: HH Diamond, Amtrak Exec
The SEPTA R1 service is quite reliable and very convienent. Upon arrival at 30th Street Station in Philly, walk towards the highest gate numbers. The passageway connecting to the SEPTA boarding area is behind the odd numbered gates, I think #'s 7 & 9. It's a short walk up the ramp to the boarding area.

No need to walk outside or leave the station and plenty of places in the station to get a bite to eat if you need it. One word of caution, while the ride from 30th to the Airport is less than 50 minutes, SEPTA doesn't believe that people might ever need to use the facilities on any of their regional trains. So make sure that you're good to go in that respect or it could be an interesting 50 minute ride out to the airport.
Old Oct 2, 2006, 11:18 am

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
Originally Posted by DangerMouse
You can purchase the ticket to the airport from the ticket windows - according to the SEPTA website, it will cost you $5.50 for a one-way ticket.
It is $5.50 if you buy the ticket from the self serve kiosk or from the ticket window...an extra $1 if you buy from the conductor on board.

The train ride itself is less than 30 minutes from 30th street to the airport.

When you get off your Amtrak train, take the escalator/stairs up to the station. I think AlanB was correct stating that the Septa lines are behind the odd numbered gates...and to the left. Go up that ramp...look for the ticket window...buy your ticket...then get onto the correct platform for the R1 line to the airport. It's all VERY easy.

Last edited by bitburgr; Oct 2, 2006 at 11:27 am
Old Oct 2, 2006, 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by AlanB
One word of caution, while the ride from 30th to the Airport is less than 50 minutes, SEPTA doesn't believe that people might ever need to use the facilities on any of their regional trains. So make sure that you're good to go in that respect or it could be an interesting 50 minute ride out to the airport.
You mean 15 minutes, right?

BillJ
Old Oct 3, 2006, 4:20 am
Original Poster

Awesome. Thanks guys. The PDF schedule and route number is what I needed.

Safe travels.....Mike
Old Oct 6, 2006, 3:23 pm

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by flyingmike
Awesome. Thanks guys. The PDF schedule and route number is what I needed.

Safe travels.....Mike
The R1 is the *only* way to get to PHL from Center City Philadelphia -- I've routinely bought tickets on it and have yet to pay a penalty.

My record for a trip from and office building in Center City, Philadelphia to my house 30 minutes from DTW is 3.5 hours.

Bob H.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 12:10 pm

From Seattle to NYC

I'm thinking of taking a trip from Seattle to NYC ( want to see the view in MT) in mid Nov. Any promo code?? Should I book now or wait till later?
Old Oct 10, 2006, 8:45 am

I have used the R1 a few times now and they have yet to charge me any kind of fee for buying my ticket aboard the train.

Dan
Old Nov 4, 2012, 8:37 pm

Smile Luggage

Hi

Are you able to take luggage on the train from Philadelphia to the airport.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 9:07 pm
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by christinevendetti1
Hi

Yes, but be warned that it's not exactly easy. The trains are really designed for commuters and not so much for people with lots of luggage.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 5:52 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by christinevendetti1
Hi

Welcome to FT -- carrying luggage on the R1 is about the same as carrying it on any Amtrak train and relatively easy because in the east almost all the station platforms are high level -- i.e. you don't have to climb any steps.

If you have, for example, a roller bag and a purse, you'll do fine. If you've been on a trip where you've spent 80 days to go around the world, it's a different story.... <lol>

Bob H
Old Nov 5, 2012, 6:35 am
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by BobH
carrying luggage on the R1 is about the same as carrying it on any Amtrak train
Just don't go looking for an R1 train as they're no longer called that. It just says "Airport" now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.