Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

Rear-facing seats coming to NE Regional

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2024, 4:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AGR WOH

https://www.amtrak.com/alert/new-sea...st-routes.html

As of March 2024, Northeast Regional trains will have "fixed seating," with half of seats facing forwards and half backwards, to reduce crew time spent rearranging seats between train runs. This affects all "greater Northeast regional" routes – not just NER but also other Amfleet trains that travel the corridor, including Carolinian, Empire, Vermonter, and Virginia trains.

Not great for those of us who sometimes get motion sickness, but don't always know when it will strike.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 9:44 am

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
Old Feb 27, 2024, 5:57 pm

Interesting that the same is not being done for Acela, even though the "flipping of the [non-table] seats" gets done there, too. Amtrak realizes that the monied, influential Acela customers would object, and their objections would count for something, unlike the peons on NER...

/s
Old Feb 27, 2024, 7:20 pm

According to the fact sheet linked here, it's coming to Acela later this year. They specifically say "the current Acela fleet" so they don't mean the Avelias.

https://media.amtrak.com/2024/02/fix...kward-seating/
Old Feb 27, 2024, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by musicalbox
According to the fact sheet linked here, it's coming to Acela later this year. They specifically say "the current Acela fleet" so they don't mean the Avelias.

https://media.amtrak.com/2024/02/fix...kward-seating/
Thanks for catching that! Now that I've read the fact sheet, it says this:

"Two of Amtrak’s upcoming fleets – our new Acela and Amtrak Airo™ trainsets, will also feature fixed seating. The current Acela fleet will transition to fixed forward and backward seating later this year"
musicalbox likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 8:27 pm

Poor phrasing on my part, I should say that I didn't mean the Avelias wouldn't have fixed seating, I just meant they're bothering to do the same to the Acelas even though they're still saying the Avelias will be coming late this year as well.

Can't decide whether I prefer it on the Regional or the Acela as someone who doesn't like to sit backwards. On the Acela you can book forward facing in advance if you buy early enough. On the Regional if you're stuck with a backwards facing seat you can move when someone gets off and not worry that someone is going to claim it at a later stop.
Old Feb 28, 2024, 9:21 am

Programs: AAdvantage, DL SkyMiles, TrueBlue, Marriott Bonvoy, Amtrak Rewards
Keystone trains have been like this for years already
lensovet and Mr. BoH like this.
Old Feb 28, 2024, 10:42 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
There used to be pedals at the base of the seats on the NE Corridor that one could rotate the seat so that it faced the other direction. The Amtrak conductors frowned on using them.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2024, 7:37 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
How much time could it take to flip the seats? This seems really lazy especially at the fares Amtrak charges (they certainly don't price like public transit) and especially in premium class
Old Feb 29, 2024, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by lrdpenn
How much time could it take to flip the seats? This seems really lazy especially at the fares Amtrak charges (they certainly don't price like public transit) and especially in premium class
Well, about 40 seat pairs in each coach or business car that get flipped (other than seats with tables), each pair of which has to be individually flipped by hand. Multiply that by the # of cars on a train, and you can see why the turn times at WAS are an hour or even two hours.
SPN Lifer and hhdl like this.
Old Feb 29, 2024, 9:57 pm

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
With four of the twenty old Acela trainsets out of service, makes sense as a way to turn trains quicker and try to add more service. Of course, this will all be moot once the Avelia Liberty is inducted and then the Airo fleet. But that is years and infrastructure projects away from completion.
Old Feb 29, 2024, 11:21 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
Originally Posted by AndyPatterson
Well, about 40 seat pairs in each coach or business car that get flipped (other than seats with tables), each pair of which has to be individually flipped by hand. Multiply that by the # of cars on a train, and you can see why the turn times at WAS are an hour or even two hours.
Let's say: ((2 seconds to flip each pair + 2 seconds to walk to the next pair) * 40 pairs + 5 seconds to walk to the next car) * 8 passenger cars = 22 minutes. This is not only pretty slow but also assumes that the work is done all by one dedicated person, not by integrating more efficiently into someone's existing workload like cleaners, which would eliminate the "walk to the next pair of seats" time is which is about half of the total time cost. It really doesn't sound that hard to me.
Old Mar 1, 2024, 2:30 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by lrdpenn
Let's say: ((2 seconds to flip each pair + 2 seconds to walk to the next pair) * 40 pairs + 5 seconds to walk to the next car) * 8 passenger cars = 22 minutes. This is not only pretty slow but also assumes that the work is done all by one dedicated person, not by integrating more efficiently into someone's existing workload like cleaners, which would eliminate the "walk to the next pair of seats" time is which is about half of the total time cost. It really doesn't sound that hard to me.
These assumed times seem grossly underestimated to me.
Old Mar 1, 2024, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by physioprof
These assumed times seem grossly underestimated to me.
I agree -- more like 30 seconds to 1 minute to flip a seat pair. These are not like commuter trains where only the seat back gets flipped with the seat base remains in place. Instead, the ENTIRE seat gets rotated 180 degrees. It's a fair amount of effort.
SPN Lifer, physioprof and paytonc like this.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 10:29 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
I just looked at a BOS-NYP Regional business class car in April: The front half is forward-facing, the rear half is rear-facing.

When they changeover the Acela F coaches later this year, let's hope the seats are better-bolted to the floor than currently, especially the singles. For example, if you're in 13A now with 12A in front of you, every time the passenger in 12A shifts in their seat, your tray table jolts and I've had my glass and tray go flying. Maybe this will help.
AndyPatterson and Mr. BoH like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.