Community
Wiki Posts
Search

is this illegal?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2023, 6:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta 1MM, Delta SM, United Silver, Amx Plat, Delta Amx Plat, Six-T Plat, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold
is this illegal?

Back in March (yes that's not a typo) I purchased a one way Acela from WAS-NYP. My travel plans have now changed and instead of flying out of JFK, I'm now flying out of EWR. So is it illegal if I just get off at NWK? It would cost me a few $ to formally reticket from WAS-NWK and it's not quite an even trade b/c of the small admin penalty I would incur. So is this illegal to just get off a stop or two earlier?? Thanks.
Old Aug 19, 2023, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by soxfanndc
Back in March (yes that's not a typo) I purchased a one way Acela from WAS-NYP. My travel plans have now changed and instead of flying out of JFK, I'm now flying out of EWR. So is it illegal if I just get off at NWK? It would cost me a few $ to formally reticket from WAS-NWK and it's not quite an even trade b/c of the small admin penalty I would incur. So is this illegal to just get off a stop or two earlier?? Thanks.
No. Amtrak does not prohibit point-beyond ticketing:

"Boarding Late, Leaving Early or Downgrading

"No refund or exchange credit is given if a passenger boards a train at a station beyond, or detrains at a station before, the station from or to which they were reserved, or if the passenger downgrades accommodations on the train."

https://www.amtrak.com/services/cont...onditions.html
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2023, 8:15 am

Very much unlike the airlines!

However, note that if checking bags (obviously not an issue on Acela/NER, but is an issue on the long-distance trains), you may not be able to check bags to an intermediate stop.
Old Aug 20, 2023, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AndyPatterson
Very much unlike the airlines!

However, note that if checking bags (obviously not an issue on Acela/NER, but is an issue on the long-distance trains), you may not be able to check bags to an intermediate stop.
When traveling on the Acela, it is possible to check baggage -- it just won't be transported on the train the passenger is riding, but on one of the long-distance trains instead. Short-checking could still be a problem, though.
Old Aug 20, 2023, 6:53 pm

Programs: AA, BA, NH, TP
Originally Posted by soxfanndc
Just be carful trying to exit at Newark airport - part of all train tickets (both Amtrak and New Jersey Transit) to EWR include a Air Tran supplement- your WAS-NYP will not include this.
There are manned ticket barriers at EWR so you may be charged the Air Tran supplement. If you purchase a NWK-EWR ticket on New Jersey Transit it will cost $11.25 for a 6-7 min journey. I understand that the Acela does not stop at Newark Airport.
Old Aug 20, 2023, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fatmac70
Just be carful trying to exit at Newark airport - part of all train tickets (both Amtrak and New Jersey Transit) to EWR include a Air Tran supplement- your WAS-NYP will not include this.
There are manned ticket barriers at EWR so you may be charged the Air Tran supplement. If you purchase a NWK-EWR ticket on New Jersey Transit it will cost $11.25 for a 6-7 min journey. I understand that the Acela does not stop at Newark Airport.
The Acela does not stop at EWR, which is probably why the OP is asking about disembarking at NWK. At NWK, options to get to EWR include the NJTransit rail option you mentioned; the much cheaper Route 62 bus; a taxi, Uber, or Lyft; and even Amtrak, which occasionally offers $5 fares on its evening trains (with the EWR AirTrain access fee included):

Old Aug 20, 2023, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OP: Does your particular Acela train stop at Metropark Station in NJ? And what time of day are you traveling? Those $5 Amtrak fares on evening trains are also available MET-EWR, and TRE-EWR.
Old Aug 22, 2023, 10:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta 1MM, Delta SM, United Silver, Amx Plat, Delta Amx Plat, Six-T Plat, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold
Thank you to everyone who replied. I appreciate your taking the time to do so. and to answer the question, TBH I didn't check if my train stopped at Metropark or not. I'm (a little/somewhat) familiar w/ NWK so I only looked at stopping there, and I'm travelling midafternoon/early evening. Leaving WAS at 4PM and arriving NWK around 6:27ish IIRC. Thanks again and safe travels everyone.!!!!
Old Aug 23, 2023, 8:43 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Sounds like you'll be on 2172, which does not stop at Metropark. You'd be looking at a lot of juggling of trains just to take the Acela. You'd probably be better off taking the Northeast Regional, train #178 that leaves 5 minutes after your Acela and can bring you right to EWR without having to change trains.
Old Aug 23, 2023, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

Thanks again to all who replied. I love this train community. I'm going to stick w/ my Acela plans (this is a milestone trip all the way to South Africa!!) and I'm treating myself all the way, which includes Acela FC. (Yes expectations are low but I've already taken Acela FC before so I know what to expect and I'm looking forward to it.) I want to detrain at NWK and stay in Newark. I'll make my way to EWR for my flight by the next day in due time. Thanks again to all and great to know that I can detrain at NWK with no penalty. Be well everyone!
Long Train Runnin, hi55us and nerd like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.