Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Going cross country

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2023, 8:49 pm

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Mary2e
...Has that been your experience? Delays? (yes, I know they happen everywhere).
AMTRAK has COUNTLESS and ENDLESS delays!!!!

They have an endless list of delays.

Did you know that they run on freight lines owned by the freight carrier railways? This means that the AMTRAK trains often park in the sidings to let the long freight trains pass them by!
Old Apr 16, 2023, 8:30 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton and Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Delta Plat, United Silver, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by roberto99
Did you know that they run on freight lines owned by the freight carrier railways? This means that the AMTRAK trains often park in the sidings to let the long freight trains pass them by!
The reason that Amtrak lets the freight trains pass is because that train, going in the OPPOSITE direction, is too long for any of the sidings and there is no other way for them to pass. You will never see a freight train going in the SAME direction, pass an Amtrak train in a siding.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by zdcatc12; Apr 16, 2023 at 8:31 am Reason: Grammar
Old Apr 16, 2023, 8:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by SkyLich
Amtrak east of Chicago is like transferring to the NYC subway. Nasty equipment and staff.
Come on. Compared to Amtrak, the NYC subway has newer equipment and newer stations, and the staff is minimal so the chance of a run-in with a staff member on the NYC is relatively low. Let’s not trash-talk the NYC subway.
Old Apr 16, 2023, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by zdcatc12
The reason that Amtrak lets the freight trains pass is because that train, going in the OPPOSITE direction, is too long for any of the sidings and there is no other way for them to pass. You will never see a freight train going in the SAME direction, pass an Amtrak train in a siding.
Never thought of this but I did recently read that freight trains are getting longer and longer (with fewer crew). 2-3 miles long with some up to an incredible 5.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Never thought of this but I did recently read that freight trains are getting longer and longer (with fewer crew). 2-3 miles long with some up to an incredible 5.
Yep, it is called "Precision Scheduled Railroading" (PSR), which is arguably neither precise nor scheduled. It involves running super long trains that do not clear existing sidings in order to reduce crew starts. In theory, the "scheduled" part is supposed to keep things moving despite the non clearing trains, but it does not take much to mess that up. Canadian National originated the practice, but it has now been adopted all major railroads. CN is actually backing off the more extreme aspects of it now.

Amtrak is exercising its recently granted (2020) rights to bring actions directly to STB on passenger delay and has filed a complaint against UP for its handling of the Sunset Limited, specifically citing PSR.

Old Apr 17, 2023, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
I wonder if CN (and CP) has longer sidings.

I do see that delay of several hours are quite common on the Chicago to California runs (Southwest Chief, California Zephyr), both of which run on UP track IIRC. That said, today seems to be a really good day for punctuality (relatively speaking) for those routes + the Sunset Limited.

FWIW, employment at the U.S. railways have apparently plummeted while freight is stable or up. And there seems to be a push for single-operator trains.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 3:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by zephyr17
Yep, it is called "Precision Scheduled Railroading" (PSR), which is arguably neither precise nor scheduled. It involves running super long trains that do not clear existing sidings in order to reduce crew starts. In theory, the "scheduled" part is supposed to keep things moving despite the non clearing trains, but it does not take much to mess that up. Canadian National originated the practice, but it has now been adopted all major railroads. CN is actually backing off the more extreme aspects of it now.

Amtrak is exercising its recently granted (2020) rights to bring actions directly to STB on passenger delay and has filed a complaint against UP for its handling of the Sunset Limited, specifically citing PSR.
Spoiler

Well, that’s railroads’ sweet spot: relatively slow and very, very long trains. It means fewer locomotives have to be used, too (compared to running more but shorter trains). It maximizes profitability. It’s not done just to reduce crew sizes.

Amtrak’s Auto-Train and European railroads coupling multiple TGV units together are the same thing, sort of. Given railroads’ high overhead costs, long trains full of freight or people is how they make the most money.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
I wonder if CN (and CP) has longer sidings.

I do see that delay of several hours are quite common on the Chicago to California runs (Southwest Chief, California Zephyr), both of which run on UP track IIRC. That said, today seems to be a really good day for punctuality (relatively speaking) for those routes + the Sunset Limited.

FWIW, employment at the U.S. railways have apparently plummeted while freight is stable or up. And there seems to be a push for single-operator trains.
CN has been lengthening sidings the last few years, don't know about CP. I think they realized that too many trains longer than their sidings was a bad idea.

The Southwest Chief does not operate over UP at all. It runs on BNSF the whole way except around Albuquerque where the former Santa Fe is now owned by commuter agency NMRX (RailRunner) and the last couple miles into LA Union Station from the LA River crossing north, which are over Metrolink

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.