Wiki Posts
Search

What's up with the Night Owl?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2023, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, HH Diamond, peasant elsewhere
What's up with the Night Owl?

I'm looking to plan a weekend trip from BOS to WAS in April or May, and thought about taking the overnight sleeper service one way to burn some AGR points instead of paying for a hotel night. Amtrak.com shows southbound #66 as canceled and 100% full every day, but the reverse trip #67 isn't even shown as an option. The only news I can find about this route is from summer 2022 when the overnight sleeper resumed service post-pandemic. Anyone know if this is a temporary/seasonal suspension, or is the Night Owl done for good?
Old Feb 28, 2023, 3:18 pm

The sleepers were done a while ago and from what I have seen it was a permanent change. It is currently suspended BOS/NYP for overnight construction related to the Metro-North Penn Access project. Not sure how long will that will last. It is still running between NYP/WAS.
ssb2045 likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2023, 8:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, HH Diamond, peasant elsewhere
That's a bummer, but good to know
Old Mar 3, 2023, 7:18 pm

Also, an earlier related thread pointed out that while passengers were allowed to sleep in for another hour after arriving at WAS, the passengers are now unceremoniously kicked out upon arrival even if before 6 am.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2023, 1:44 pm

Programs: Starriot Platinum, DL PM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
Is this the reason there appears to be no checked baggage service to Boston South Station or is that a more permanent change? I was planning a daytime trip in June but had hoped to send a checked bag ahead to pickup on arrival.

Last edited by rtpflyer; Mar 5, 2023 at 1:49 pm
Old Mar 6, 2023, 7:44 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards Select, Maika'i Card
I don't know if I've got this quite right, but I think the southbound overnight train terminates in Roanoke and the northbound overnight train originates in Norfolk. They use a standard NEC train set, so the addition of a sleeper and baggage car would be problematic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.