Community
Wiki Posts
Search

award pricing weirdness

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2023, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta 1MM, Delta SM, United Silver, Amx Plat, Delta Amx Plat, Six-T Plat, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold
award pricing weirdness

So I'm just wondering if someone can explain this to me, I'm so curious. I'm looking at travel later this year from WAS-NYP. I just need to get to JFK for a flight so don't need all the frills, etc, just need to get there. These are ESTIMATED numbers but coach is $30 o/w and biz class is say $90 or so. I looked at burning some points (don't want to debate the "why" thanks) and the coach ticket is approx 4200 points and biz class is approx 3100 points. That's crazy that Biz class is lower. I don't "Want" biz class but to save on points I may get the ticket, I'm just curious as to why there is a difference and why biz class is so much lower in terms of points?? Thanks and safe travels! Oops, I should add this is on Amtrak regional..
Old Jan 25, 2023, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I found the same thing last October, also on the Regional WAS-NYP but I didn't end up travelling and had forgotten about it.

I wonder what the pattern is.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
I don't know the "why," soxfanndc, but I also noticed a similar discrepancy when pricing a WAS-WIL trip last Spring.

By the way, if you are planning to take the LIRR from NYP to Jamaica to catch the JFK AirTrain, I trust that you are aware of the special $5 "City Ticket" rail fare available for travel during all off-peak times on the LIRR.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 7:31 pm

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
Originally Posted by soxfanndc
So I'm just wondering if someone can explain this to me, I'm so curious. I'm looking at travel later this year from WAS-NYP. I just need to get to JFK for a flight so don't need all the frills, etc, just need to get there. These are ESTIMATED numbers but coach is $30 o/w and biz class is say $90 or so. I looked at burning some points (don't want to debate the "why" thanks) and the coach ticket is approx 4200 points and biz class is approx 3100 points. That's crazy that Biz class is lower. I don't "Want" biz class but to save on points I may get the ticket, I'm just curious as to why there is a difference and why biz class is so much lower in terms of points?? Thanks and safe travels! Oops, I should add this is on Amtrak regional..
The coach class tickets price into Saver, Value, and Flexible buckets. That $30 fare is about as low as it goes on that route and is a "Saver" fare. Unfortunately, when tickets are priced using points it is NOT done using the lowball saver fare. That is why some will lecture you on why you need to be careful using points in the NE corridor. If you compare the Value fare to the Business fare, you will see that the business fare is lower than the value fare. That is where the discrepancy comes from. This will not be true for all departures as the fares are dynamic.
Daze and hi55us like this.

Last edited by schriste; Jan 25, 2023 at 7:40 pm
Old Jan 26, 2023, 7:46 am

Agree with folks here - it happens. AND sometimes the Acela close to a regional train time could be cheaper. You just get lucky - - and if you have an upgrade coupon that's about to expire and get the Acela ticket, you now have a first class ticket (with a meal!) for the same or less than a low-ball coach set on a regional train. Enjoy it if/when it happens.
hi55us likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2023, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by soxfanndc
I've booked business twice. I love it when biz is cheaper than coach when using points.

dh
Old Jan 26, 2023, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
So answer me this...

I booked an award ticket SFC (downtown San Francisco) to EMY to LAX on the CS. I could have booked EMY/LAX, but that was more costly in cash and awards? The SFC departure is an Amtrak bus to EMY. Why is this less expensive than EMY/LAX??

dh
Old Jan 26, 2023, 10:45 pm
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dhammer53
So answer me this...

I booked an award ticket SFC (downtown San Francisco) to EMY to LAX on the CS. I could have booked EMY/LAX, but that was more costly in cash and awards? The SFC departure is an Amtrak bus to EMY. Why is this less expensive than EMY/LAX??

dh
Amtrak is just protecting their fortress hub at EMY.

I think it could be a married segment thing where the bus connection changes the fare bucket on the CS.
dhammer53, hhdl and Daze like this.
Old Jan 27, 2023, 7:58 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

It wasn't an award, but it was pricing weirdness. For a trip earlier this month, a bus from SFC to EMY followed by a bedroom on the Coast Starlight to LAX was more than $100 higher than a bedroom from OKJ to LAX on the same train on the same day. (I planned to take the ferry to Oakland and catch the Coast Starlight there, but things changed and I didn't take the trip.)
Old Jan 29, 2023, 8:01 am

Programs: UA 1K, JetBlue Mosaic
Originally Posted by Long Train Runnin
Amtrak is just protecting their fortress hub at EMY.

I think it could be a married segment thing where the bus connection changes the fare bucket on the CS.
FWIW, I reported seeing Flex fares cheaper than Value fares on SFC-EMY-FFV (Capital Corridor) with the bus connection back in July.

Flexible cheaper than Value fare?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.