Search

Acela vs. Deer [Oct 22]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2022, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Acela vs. Deer [Oct 22]

I'm on 2151 this morning, the 9:00am NYP-WAS Acela. We boarded the train just before 9:00am. but then were told that we would be slightly delated because 2151 inbound from BOS was late and that train would be taken out of service. The inbound arrived around 9:05am, passengers from the BOS train who were continuing southbound transferred to our train, and we departed about 15 minutes late.

So just out of curiosity, I asked the cafe car attendant, who had been on the BOS train, what had happed. He told me that they had hit a deer, causing some of the airbags to deploy, which required taking the train out of service. I feel bad for the deer, but also am really glad that they had an extra train sitting around NYP so that we we're only about 15 minutes late!

Last edited by Long Train Runnin; Oct 7, 2022 at 10:22 pm Reason: Fixed thread title
Old Oct 7, 2022, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Yes, having backup equipment is always helpful. Here's an old post of mine illustrating what can happen when there is no backup:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/5620291-post9.html

Old Oct 7, 2022, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by Blumie
I'm on 2151 this morning, the 9:00am NYP-WAS Acela. We boarded the train just before 9:00am. but then were told that we would be slightly delated because 2151 inbound from BOS was late and that train would be taken out of service. The inbound arrived around 9:05am, passengers from the BOS train who were continuing southbound transferred to our train, and we departed about 15 minutes late.

So just out of curiosity, I asked the cafe car attendant, who had been on the BOS train, what had happed. He told me that they had hit a deer, causing some of the airbags to deploy, which required taking the train out of service. I feel bad for the deer, but also am really glad that they had an extra train sitting around NYP so that we we're only about 15 minutes late!
Wait a minute -- there are airbags on Amtrak?! First I've heard of that! Where are they...
Old Oct 8, 2022, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by AndyPatterson
Wait a minute -- there are airbags on Amtrak?! First I've heard of that! Where are they...
Ha, I had the same question but didn’t ask. I kinda assume they’re in the conductor’s cabin up front. Or maybe he just made it up!
Old Oct 8, 2022, 5:39 pm
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
The only thing I can think of is that it messed up the air bags in the tilting mechanism that let's them take curves at higher speeds.
​​​​​​
I have been up front at the operators controls of an Acela. I can assure there are no airbags there.
Old Oct 11, 2022, 7:15 pm

Programs: B6, Amtrak, DL, AA, Marriott, Hilton
Most passenger railcars use air suspensions - they use heavy duty airbags in place of some conventional springs for better ride quality, stabilization, etc. If some of the airbags rupture, it's still safe to move the equipment, but will have to be at reduced speed due to the altered ride characteristics.
wxguy likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was on the CA Zephyr once in late December and somewhere in Iowa the train suddenly came to a halt after hitting a deer. I think they had to stop for 5 minutes for a quick inspection (of the train, not the deer) and then it was back on the road again.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 7:56 pm

Programs: Ozark Go-Getters Gold, Statler Star Silver, others from a variety of alternate timelines
Originally Posted by nerd
I was on the CA Zephyr once in late December and somewhere in Iowa the train suddenly came to a halt after hitting a deer. I think they had to stop for 5 minutes for a quick inspection (of the train, not the deer) and then it was back on the road again.
And then they announced the dinner special was venison stew.
hhdl and strickerj like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.