Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amtrak Announces Siemens as Preferred Bidder for New Equipment

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2021, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags

An April 21, 2021 Press Release:
April 21, 2021
New Fleet will Improve Safety and Enhance Customer Experience

WASHINGTON – After a competitive procurement launched in January of 2019, Amtrak has identified California-based Siemens Mobility Inc. (Siemens) as the preferred bidder to manufacture a new fleet of 83 Intercity Trainsets (ICTs), which will provide dual power in many instances and modern rail amenities to better serve all Amtrak customers. The ICTs will operate on the Northeast Corridor, Palmetto and various state-supported routes and will replace the current Amfleet I, Metroliner cab and Cascades service fleets. Accompanying the contract to manufacture the trainsets will be a long-term service agreement for technical support, spares and material supply.

“This new state-of-the-art equipment will not only provide Amtrak customers with an enjoyable and efficient travel experience, it will also enable us to improve safety, increase passenger capacity and reduce carbon emissions,” said Amtrak CEO Bill Flynn.

Amtrak has targeted summer 2021 for contract execution and notice to proceed and will spend the time between now and then continuing negotiations with Siemens for this generational procurement.
Old May 4, 2021, 10:31 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
I believe these are the same trains purchased by Brightline in Florida and the trains purchased for the midwest corridor trains. Looks promising!
Old May 5, 2021, 8:09 am

I wonder if there are plans to replace the Amfleet IIs on long distance routes.
Old May 17, 2021, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Here's a video clip of brand new Amtrak Midwest cars, apparently on their way from the Seimens factory to Amtrak's Beech Grove shop:
Old May 17, 2021, 12:14 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Those are great looking railcars!!!
timbeaux likes this.
Old May 18, 2021, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wait, they already exist in some at-least-semi-completed form? The article in the OP said the contract wouldn't even be executed until Summer 2021.
Old May 18, 2021, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bear96
Wait, they already exist in some at-least-semi-completed form? The article in the OP said the contract wouldn't even be executed until Summer 2021.
Sorry for the confusion.

The video shows Siemens-built cars that were ordered by the Illinois Dept of Transportation for the Midwest regional trains. Here's an August 2020 Railway Age article about that order: For IDOT, New Siemens Ventures My understanding is that the Amtrak order (announced in April 2021) is for the same design of Seimens car.
Old Jun 3, 2021, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Siemens is also building locomotives for VIA Rail:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.