Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

Acela [business class seat assignment]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2019, 3:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: aa lifetime platinum

I am travelling soon on Acela business class ,ticketed and bought online with the app.i am going from Phily to nyc and noticed that there are no seat reservations or even a way to pay for them
is it a free for all like southwest?
i dread this only because I am somewhat disabled. I have Parkinsons and I move slowly is just about it and also balance issues trying to find a seat on a moving train may be a potential problem I am an experienced and enthusiastic traveler but reality bites and now I have to ask questions in advance.should I just not panic ? Should I bring a first aid kit.....

Last edited by marbles dad; May 17, 2019 at 3:35 am Reason: Myoclonic jerk
Old May 17, 2019, 5:03 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Assigned seating is available on the Acela F only. If you are in J, there are no assigned seats.
Old May 17, 2019, 5:31 am

I wouldn’t characterize it as a free-for-all but it is open seating. What you should do is speak with the attendant at the top of the stairs at 30th Street. That person can arrange for you to get on the train to one of the accessible seats. Acela isn’t like the regionals with slobs sleeping across two seats. So you should be able to get a seat pretty quickly.
Old May 18, 2019, 7:32 pm

Programs: AGR
There are Amtrak employees at both Philadelphia and NY Penn called RedCaps that are there too help passengers with boarding situations . Please contact Amtrak and pre arrange assistance or arrive early to do so. A RedCap can board with you too help find a seat. The RedCap can request that the conductor hold the train until he assists you onto the train. The passengers at PHL usually are allowed on the platform before the arriving trains. This allows for the boarding group to spread out on the platform and make the boarding less hectic.
uppereastsider likes this.
Old May 19, 2019, 10:00 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
Redcaps are here for people in your situation. @dicksboat's advice is spot on.

If you really want a seat, upgrade to F. That's the only way to be guaranteed one.

But business class is not a free for all. A redcap will make the situation super easy. I've seen people of all abilities travel comfortably on the Acela
Old May 21, 2019, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by uppereastsider
Redcaps are here for people in your situation. @dicksboat's advice is spot on.

If you really want a seat, upgrade to F. That's the only way to be guaranteed one.

But business class is not a free for all. A redcap will make the situation super easy. I've seen people of all abilities travel comfortably on the Acela
Every ticketed passenger on a reserved train like the Acela is guaranteed a seat, not just first class. Finding where that seat is is another matter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.