Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

newbie traveling with disabled daughter

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2019, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Hello,
This will be my first time traveling on any train. I will be going to Chicago from Mpls with my daughter who has down syndrome and mobility issues. I too have problems with steps because of a bad knee. How is the train set up? Where are the bathrooms? Is it easy to get to the upper level? If not where is best place to sit on lower level? Food? Can you buy on the train, if so where? Any other advice or tips would be greatly appreciated. Also photography is my hobby, any chance of taking photos from the train? Thanks much
Old Jan 16, 2019, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by Kris22
Hello,
This will be my first time traveling on any train. I will be going to Chicago from Mpls with my daughter who has down syndrome and mobility issues. I too have problems with steps because of a bad knee. How is the train set up? Where are the bathrooms? Is it easy to get to the upper level? If not where is best place to sit on lower level? Food? Can you buy on the train, if so where? Any other advice or tips would be greatly appreciated. Also photography is my hobby, any chance of taking photos from the train? Thanks much
If your budget can handle it, I suggest reserving a lower level roomette. Your photo opportunities might be somewhat limited, but otherwise I believe this would best serve your needs. There is a FC lounge in Chicago Union Station. Early boarding should be available to you. A lav will be on the same level in the sleeper. There will be a car attendant who will be able to get your (comp) dinner from the diner, and also help with any other requirements that you might have. (The LD coaches also have attendants, but there are a lot more passengers in a coach than in a sleeper.)
Old Jan 18, 2019, 9:37 am

Programs: AGR
Also, Lower level coach seats are available on reservation which are about 20 feet from 3-4 restrooms. This Lower Level seating area tends to have senior and mobility challenged passengers. Obtaining food from the cafe area(snack bar) or diner car(meal times) would require going up and down steep stairs (with good handrails). As specified above, a handicapped person is entitled to help from the crew obtaining food service whether in sleeper or coach .
It would be best too arrange special needs in advance on the reservation and to remind the crew on boarding.
Photography is okay from the lower level windows, just 7 ft lower than the upper level windows. The lower level entry vestibule can be used for photos on both sides of the train except when people are boarding..

Last edited by dicksboat; Jan 18, 2019 at 9:51 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.