Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amtrak Cascades Train 501 Derails Off Interstate 5 Overpass near DuPont, WA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amtrak Cascades Train 501 Derails Off Interstate 5 Overpass near DuPont, WA

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2017, 8:44 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Amtrak is going back to the future for a while and will be using the old route until PTC is installed on the 'new' one. Quotes because the ' new" line has been around a long time and one of the bridges was built in 1936 !!!

See

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...-are-in-place/

Also, to those of us old enough to remember it wasn't unusual to have two or three people in the cab of a locomotive and then ended when they did away with feather bedding

Bob H
Old Dec 24, 2017, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
From that Seattle Times link: the older route where the trains will continue to run also does NOT have that train control technology. Emphasis mine.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
I'm always concerned about media when they end up covering a subject I happen to have a significant depth and breadth of knowledge on, and I can see how far off they are. Then I get concerned about their accuracy on matters where my personal knowledge base is far shallower.
As I sent to a friend (and fellow FTer) who works for CBS News in NYC a few days ago on this exact subjecft:

If nothing else cures you of 100% trust in the media, it’s watching them report on a topic you actually know something about. (and I say that as a journalism major...)

Originally Posted by Java Titan
I'm not professional in railway, but I know when upgrading a track, one of the most important thing is to increase radius for the curve so trains don't have to slow down so much. I can't believe after hundreds millions dollars upgrade project, there is still a curve with 30 miles speed limit. Drop speed from nearby 80 miles/hour to 30 miles/hour, I think that's a horrible design, a death trap on the track.
This addresses that assertion: https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-dea...ove-1513952658

If WSJ is putting up a paywall on that article, this one touches on the same topic: https://nypost.com/2017/12/22/train-...-deadly-curve/

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
From that Seattle Times link: the older route where the trains will continue to run also does NOT have that train control technology. Emphasis mine.
Right, but it also doesn't have any 80mph stretches. Can they still speed? Sure. Could they hit an oncoming train? Possibly (but a yellow-followed-by-red signal is a little harder to miss than a small speed-restriction sign). But the chances of them accelerating to a speed where they can then hit a curve at 50mph over the rated speed and then topple off the track and a couple dozen feet down are pretty slim. The lack of PTC on the Point Defiance route is virtually a non-issue.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 2:28 pm

Programs: AA(PPro), UA, AGR, BW(Plat), HH, WoH, MB(S)
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
As far as I know, both the old route and the bypass have PTC installed. BNSF Railway completed installation between Portland and Seattle about six months ago. The bypass was constructed with PTC. The deficiency is that the locomotives and cab cars are not yet fully equipped. Until the both the ground and moving portions of the system are in place, tested and certified, PTC cannot be activated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.