Wiki Posts
Search

New Chicago Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2016, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott, Southwest, American, Delta, Amtrak,Multiple others
New Chicago Lounge

I read that the new passenger lounge in Chicago is opening this week. I hope someone who visits it will post a report regarding food/beverage offerings, as well as the facilities. The last time I was in Chicago, an Amtrak lounge attendant mentioned it was going to have shower facilities. Please post your experiences and impressions of the new lounge.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

More details on Amtrak's blog:

http://blog.amtrak.com/2016/06/chica...e-let-upgrade/

Amtrak travel is chock-full of perks and if you are traveling through Chicago we’ve just added a perk that’s worth upgrading for. Introducing the Chicago Metropolitan Lounge! The new lounge, which spans two floors and offers seating for 360, is available to customers who are traveling in Sleeping or Business Class and Select Plus, or Select Executive Amtrak Guest Rewards members.

Located between the Great Hall and concourse, the lounge offers customers a place to stow their carry-on bags, relax, work or even freshen up in the bathrooms that are equipped with showers.
Looks nice.

Old Jul 5, 2016, 12:37 pm

I was there yesterday for their one-week anniversary.

Wifi is much improved and I was averaging around 132 MB download and over 200 MB upload which is incredible for anywhere.

The showers were going to officially open today.

They also had bottles of wine that they were serving for free, along with a fantastic lunch spread that was put out at around 12:30. All of it was complimentary.

They called it a wine "tasting, but they were happy to give you a full class, served in those plastic wine glasses, like on the Coast Starlight.

If you wanted more, they would give you a punch card that could be validated up to 4 times. They had a nice assortment of red and white.

When I asked how long they would be offering the free wine and food, thinking it was only for the first week or two to celebrate the new opening, I was told they would be doing it for the rest of the year to encourage people to visit Chicago and ride Amtrak.

If this holds true, I'll be shocked, but that's what I was told.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 6:33 pm

Programs: AGR Select/Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum
Originally Posted by diesteldorf
I was there yesterday for their one-week anniversary.

Wifi is much improved and I was averaging around 132 MB download and over 200 MB upload which is incredible for anywhere.

The showers were going to officially open today.

They also had bottles of wine that they were serving for free, along with a fantastic lunch spread that was put out at around 12:30. All of it was complimentary.

They called it a wine "tasting, but they were happy to give you a full class, served in those plastic wine glasses, like on the Coast Starlight.

If you wanted more, they would give you a punch card that could be validated up to 4 times. They had a nice assortment of red and white.

When I asked how long they would be offering the free wine and food, thinking it was only for the first week or two to celebrate the new opening, I was told they would be doing it for the rest of the year to encourage people to visit Chicago and ride Amtrak.

If this holds true, I'll be shocked, but that's what I was told.
Thanks for the report Chris! First really good news from Amtrak in a long time during the Boardman/Beancounters cuts to appease the Know Nothing Mica-Managers on the Hill!
Old Jul 12, 2016, 5:33 pm

Programs: Amtrak
I was in the lounge on the 6th and 11th. Physically, I think it is spectacular.

But operationally, it's still Chicago. Showers are only a rumor. As for food, every once in a while, a few chips and pretzels would appear. The ice machine was not working one of the days I was there. The upstairs was closed off sometime during the afternoon, long before the evening long distance trains left.

I know it is a controversial issue, but I like it that the baggage storage is now similar to DC and NYP, rather than the former paranoia room.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 6:53 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by jobtraklite
I was in the lounge on the 6th and 11th...As for food, every once in a while, a few chips and pretzels would appear...
"I was there yesterday for their one-week anniversary. They also had bottles of wine that they were serving for free, along with a fantastic lunch spread that was put out at around 12:30. All of it was complimentary. When I asked how long they would be offering the free wine and food, thinking it was only for the first week or two to celebrate the new opening, I was told they would be doing it for the rest of the year to encourage people to visit Chicago and ride Amtrak."

Apparently the "rest of the year" lasted one week.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 4:25 pm

Programs: LT Mariott Platinum?, SPG Gold, Hilton Silver, AA Gold, Amtrak Nothing.
I was there on the 2nd day (i.e. day after the opening) early in the afternoon (about 1pm). They had a really nice assortment of sandwiches, cookies, etc. As mentioned above, they also had a free wine tasting from (I think) 11AM-2PM.

On my return (July 9th), I didn't get there until 4pm or so. There was no food out, but that may have been because they only have it during lunch hours. (My son and I were delayed overnight due to the EB being 7-8 hours late. We decided to visit the museum of art and have Gino's deep dish pizza instead of hanging out at union station.)
Old Sep 30, 2016, 10:00 am

Programs: AGR
There 2x in September...it is very nice, lots of seating options, upstairs is fantastic.
As far as refreshments trip out was no food for snacks, but just before boarding they brought out cheese and veggies, and poured small cups of wine...trip back had pretzels, trail mix but no wine or cheese for us Lakeshore Limited folks!
There is an espresso bar and coffee, plus soda fountain...
Old Sep 30, 2016, 11:36 am

I am in the lounge right now, awaiting the departure of 21 to San Antonio.

The new facility is fresh, but also highly utilitarian. Some of the furniture and fixtures appear to be of IKEA quality.

The only refreshments presently available are a variety of soft drinks and coffee/tea.

All in all, a major disappointment.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NHelle
There 2x in September...it is very nice, lots of seating options, upstairs is fantastic.
As far as refreshments trip out was no food for snacks, but just before boarding they brought out cheese and veggies, and poured small cups of wine...trip back had pretzels, trail mix but no wine or cheese for us Lakeshore Limited folks!
There is an espresso bar and coffee, plus soda fountain...
Welcome to FlyerTalk, NHelle!
Old Nov 22, 2016, 10:55 am

I will be there next week so I am looking forward to seeing the new lounge. The old one was okay but it was small. Sometimes it was standing room only.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 9:01 am

Programs: AA PLT, UA Silver, EK Gold, Hilton Diamond, Global Entry, Clear
I'll be there for the second time on 12-6 prior to boarding the CZ. The last time I was there they were still doing the wine tasting! ^
Old Dec 1, 2016, 7:37 pm

I was there today and they did the wine tasting plus had cheese and vegetables to go with the wine. I did take some pictures but can't upload them from my computer but will try to upload them when I get a chance.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 7:26 am

Nice... Were they allowing you to pour your own wine, or are they still handing out those punch card things and guarding the bottles like they're precious metal?
Old Dec 19, 2016, 8:22 am

Well I can answer my own question; they hand out a small card good for two tiny glasses of wine!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.