Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

AGR redemption: forcing DEN-MSP via SAC/PDX

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2016, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)

I guess the days of Amtrak.com offering connections in LAX and PDX on KWD-CBS searches are over...

I'm planning on redeeming one last two-zone award for DEN-MSP, but I'd like to go west first and do the CZ-CS-EB route. Amtrak.com is only offering for me to go east to CHI and then connect to a Thruway bus to MSP (yuck). At least that way, it would only be a one-zone award...

I can tease out the SAC/PDX routing if I start in SLC but not anywhere east of there.

Any ideas on how to accomplish this? It seems Amtrak is much tighter with routing rules these days...

I can book from SLC and just buy a pair of coach seats from DEN to SLC, but losing out on two meals and not moving into the room until late at night is sub-optimal.

Any secrets anyone has found to do this would be appreciated in these last few days before it no longer matters and everything is ruined...
Old Jan 21, 2016, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I called AGR today now that they're open and DEN-MSP requires a forced overnight in CHI, and she was not showing the CZ/CS/EB routing option. The forced overnight requires two separate redemptions, too.

I went ahead and booked SLC-MSP.

I then HUCA'd to see if I could extend the start of the trip to DEN. Shockingly, the agent said yes and confirmed it. So it seems that changing an existing trip may allow one to play a little looser with the routing rules.

Go forth and book before the AGR 2.0 hammer hits!
Old Jan 21, 2016, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jackal
I called AGR today now that they're open and DEN-MSP requires a forced overnight in CHI, and she was not showing the CZ/CS/EB routing option. The forced overnight requires two separate redemptions, too.

I went ahead and booked SLC-MSP.

I then HUCA'd to see ifdI could extend the start of the trip to DEN. Shockingly, the agent said yes and confirmed it. So it seems that changing an existing trip may allow one to play a little looser with the routing rules.

Go forth and book before the AGR 2.0 hammer hits!
Probably enough information right there for AGR to find your redemption transaction and fix the mistake that they made.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 11:41 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Originally Posted by nerd
Probably enough information right there for AGR to find your redemption transaction and fix the mistake that they made.
I'll have to admit I laughed out loud at this post, but I hope for jackal's sake that AGR leaves well enough alone...
Old Jan 22, 2016, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fairviewroad
I'll have to admit I laughed out loud at this post, but I hope for jackal's sake that AGR leaves well enough alone...
If y'all would stop bumping the thread...
Old Jan 22, 2016, 7:03 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

In my experience (sample size of one), AGR left alone an invalid redemption. I booked the itinerary in ignorance and innocence, and later called to tweak it. The AGR agent who took my later call put me on hold, then came back, explained why it was not a valid redemption, and said that I could leave it as is or modify it, but if I changed anything, it would need to be brought within the then-current rules. I left it unchanged and so did AGR.

If anyone cares, it was trip where I left one zone and then re-entered it.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 12:23 pm
Company Representative - Amtrak

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (Select Executive)
Don't worry, I know well who jackal is. We're glad that folks are making those final zone-based redemptions before the new structure takes effect for new, modified, and cancelled bookings tomorrow. That's why we gave about five months' notice!

Cheers,
Anthony
Old Jan 23, 2016, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AGR Insider
Don't worry, I know well who jackal is. We're glad that folks are making those final zone-based redemptions before the new structure takes effect for new, modified, and cancelled bookings tomorrow. That's why we gave about five months' notice!

Cheers,
Anthony
Aren't you supposed to be busy with implementation and supervising agents handling all these cancellations today? Pay no attention to these invalid bookings discussed here.

P.S. I know who you are, too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.