Wiki Posts
Search

Amtrak Redemption on Day of

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2016, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Amtrak Redemption on Day of

Hello,

I was going to be in NYC in March and have breakfast with family and then just call the Rewards line the day of on the way to Penn Station to use my points for the next Regional train to WAS. I think the beauty of using points is the flexibility to go on any train. Anyways, I know Amtrak rewards has gone through changes and when I do this in a couple months has anything changed where I am unable to do this the day of or something requiring me to redeem in advance and have to pick a time with the new changes?
Old Jan 13, 2016, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There have been no announcements about changes to award bookings. Everything should work the way it has in the past.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 3:42 pm

The beauty used to be that you could redeem any train at the same point value, even if it was leaving that day and thus the most expensive bucket available. Sadly, it's going to cost you a lot of points if you book it that day. Personally, I'd book sooner at a lower point value and just wait at Penn Station, but you may have tons of points to burn.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by musicalbox
The beauty used to be that you could redeem any train at the same point value, even if it was leaving that day and thus the most expensive bucket available. Sadly, it's going to cost you a lot of points if you book it that day. Personally, I'd book sooner at a lower point value and just wait at Penn Station, but you may have tons of points to burn.
That story goes both ways, though. If you were buying a ticket for 4,000 points that cost $116 or less, you were getting less value than the 2.9 cents/point that you get in the new AGR.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 7:37 am
Original Poster

I'm confused one person says there are no changes but other messages saying that the # of points are based on the value of the ticket now and its best to buy early instead the day of like before when all the trains were 4K?
Old Jan 14, 2016, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ASUDan130
I'm confused one person says there are no changes but other messages saying that the # of points are based on the value of the ticket now and its best to buy early instead the day of like before when all the trains were 4K?
There are no changes in regards to the OP's original question.

The price of award tickets is changing, now based on the actual cost rather than a flat 4,000 points.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by nerd
That story goes both ways, though. If you were buying a ticket for 4,000 points that cost $116 or less, you were getting less value than the 2.9 cents/point that you get in the new AGR.
I'm just going on my experience that for that particular trip the day of, pretty much all the fares will be over $116. I checked today for NYP-WAS as an example, and there are just two trains below that amount. But YMMV with city pair and date of travel, of course.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.