Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

What's your post-Chase AGR accrual strategy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2015, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Hey all,

Now that Chase ultimate rewards points will no longer be transferable to AGR, what's your plan for collecting AGR points? The co-branded Amtrak cards are nice for the signup bonuses, but without the 2X points on dining / travel that Chase has, their value for accruing AGR points with everyday spend is limited (1X on all purchases). What's the next best thing? SPG transfers? Some multi-step transfer between other partners and eventually to AGR?

Thanks!
Old Nov 19, 2015, 1:37 pm

Personally, I plan on riding trains.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 1:52 pm

I never had that card so my strategy is the same: put every single thing possible on the Amtrak card, including all purchases and auto-billed utilities and expenses. The only things that go on other cards are things specific to those that I have (Amazon, gas, etc.).
Old Nov 19, 2015, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by PRR GG1
What's the next best thing? SPG transfers?
With current redemption rates transfers to AGR can be an excellent value for SPG points. Given the rates in effect 1/1/2016, for my points, using SPG at Starwood properties will bring more value.

My accrual strategy for 2016? Don't bother with AGR.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I plan on not accruing more, other than whatever occasional random partner earning I need to keep the ones I have alive.

I haven't found a use for them in the time since transfers to hotel programs stopped being available to people who don't ride Amtrak much, and I'm not sure how likely I am to find a lot of use for them in the future. (Where I live, in Los Angeles, it seems easier to either drive or fly than take the train anywhere, especially given constraints I have on time off from work.)

(I never transferred from Chase anyway, but it transfer for Diners Club once or twice I think. But that's going away too.)
Old Nov 21, 2015, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by PRR GG1
Now that Chase ultimate rewards points will no longer be transferable to AGR, what's your plan for collecting AGR points? The co-branded Amtrak cards are nice for the signup bonuses, but without the 2X points on dining / travel that Chase has, their value for accruing AGR points with everyday spend is limited (1X on all purchases). What's the next best thing?
It remains to be seen whether the new BofA cards are churnable.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
I do not plan on making any special effort to earn Amtrak points in the future.

I applied for the new card, got the point bonus, and have now redeemed awards to largely complete my exploration of Amtrak's route network (with a few gaps easily filled by regular paid tickets). I plan on dumping the card soon.

Amtrak had the chance to make it easy for me to choose them by implementing a sensible same-day-change policy and improving their recognition of elite members, but instead, they completely gutted the program and made its rewards virtually worthless. So, I will not prioritize Amtrak travel and instead will choose to drive and/or fly where it makes sense to (which is more often than it makes sense to take the train). I will use what few points I have left to that end and will likely only earn and burn trifle amounts of points after that.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 4:09 pm

1000 point Milage runs thru January STM-BOS $111 Acela to try to keep S+ MDN-NHV mostly $6 for 200 pts as well, Researching Hilton Honors ways to transfer in via CITI Bank bonuses.
I say farewell on the 4th to Freedom/Sapphire transfers (closing early to make sure points post by the 7th.
I really hope we have the take 3 get one free in January before the change. I will plan on a few milage runs then.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.