Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

AGR to move to revenue based redemption system?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2015, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AGR, UA, AA

As we all know, the current high value Amtrak redemptions for sleepers are fundamentally unsustainable. This is not a surprise but eliminates a big sweet spot of Amtrak. The post describes AGR moving to both earning and redemption based on price, similar to Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards. I certainly will be booking sleeper travel ASAP and consider using the AGR to Choice transfer option more often.

https://lossan.octa.net/AgendaPDF/8478.pdf
(p. 27)

Amtrak Guest Rewards 2.0 will be simplified
– Improve program relevance across the country:
– Eliminate the travel award “zone chart” by aligning redemption point requirements
with fares.
– Amtrak Guest Rewards members will be able to book, modify, and cancel reward
tickets themselves on Amtrak.com or mobile.
– Make the program more relevant and attainable to more audiences by making
both earning and redemption a function of price.

Also news on the AGR credit card:

The Amtrak Guest Rewards team will launch two new co-brand credit
card products on September 12, 2015 with a new issuing bank.
 Business Goal: Re-launch higher value AGR co-branded credit cards,
driving member engagement and long term growth in AGR revenue.
 The AGR co-brand credit card drives:
– Brand attachment- Through expanded AGR rewards and benefits, new cardholders
grow their loyalty with AGR and deepen their affinity with the Amtrak brand
– Increased Amtrak travel- Annual lifts increase by 49% and rail revenue increases by
33% after a member acquires a credit card
– Revenue- Amtrak will benefit from the partnership through a revenue share model.

Thanks to Paul Druce on Twitter for flagging this from the LOSSAN agenda.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 4:21 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Well let's hope the new CCs have some generous sign-on bonuses, as we'll likely need them.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 6:24 am

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
If dates of travel are beyond implementation date (1/2016) of new redemption guidelines (affecting zoned awards), is it possible to use AGR miles now to make a bedroom reservation for the near future, then later, after ticket issued, change the date of travel (without changing anything else)?

Last edited by ohmark; Aug 13, 2015 at 6:29 am
Old Aug 13, 2015, 6:59 am
In Memoriam

Programs: HH Diamond, Amtrak Exec
Originally Posted by ohmark
If dates of travel are beyond implementation date (1/2016) of new redemption guidelines (affecting zoned awards), is it possible to use AGR miles now to make a bedroom reservation for the near future, then later, after ticket issued, change the date of travel (without changing anything else)?
In the past anytime there was a change to the rules; any change to an already existing reservation had the new rules applied to it. Example, when Bedrooms went from 20K to 25K for a one zone, if you tried to change a reservation after the date the new rules went into effect, you have to pay the higher redemption rate.

I would expect that similar rules will be applied again, meaning you can book into next year right now. But any changes will see you having to comply with the new policies & rules.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 10:06 am

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by AlanB
I would expect that similar rules will be applied again, meaning you can book into next year right now. But any changes will see you having to comply with the new policies & rules.
Thanks, Alan. Helps me make a decision not to transfer UR points to AGR.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 10:22 am

Not only is this horrible news, but one has to be appalled by the Newspeak on those slides:
Make the program more relevant and attainable to more audiences by making both earning and redemption a function of price
More attainable, my [expletive].
Old Aug 13, 2015, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Another one hits the dust.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 10:46 am

I've transferred lots of UR point in the scare that they will be breaking up with chase!
I demand that they "push" them back to my UR account. It will allow me to hate them less
Old Aug 13, 2015, 11:10 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by beltway
Not only is this horrible news, but one has to be appalled by the Newspeak on those slides:

More attainable, my [expletive].
Just like this is only "fine tuning a well-oiled machine"

I wish marketing types wouldn't insult our intelligence with such BS. I know that will never happen but it doesn't have to stop me from being irritated with it!
Old Aug 13, 2015, 11:11 am

Ugh, this really sucks. Hopefully the new credit card bonus will be really good...looks like there will be enough time to earn the bonus and then book travel for next year before the changes go into effect. I have enough to do one long sleeper trip right now but will look at least booking a second one for late next year if possible.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 11:15 am

Programs: AGR Select+, Hilton Gold, Luv SWA, wish their points wud transfer to Amtrak.....
Burn 'em while ya got 'em!

I'll shortly be redeeming my 2016 Coast-To-Coast trip in a bedroom with my kids!

While I "understand" the reason, the "Good Ole Days" seem to be over. It was FUN while it lasted!

Hope AGR Insider keeps us posted as to status.... This thread will grow, Grow, GROW!
Old Aug 13, 2015, 11:15 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
The only thing I use my AGR points for is for the 5 pack of upgrades. I hope these new changes won't affect their 10k price
Old Aug 13, 2015, 11:26 am

Programs: AGR Select/Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum
AGRII/ New AGR Master Cards

" Turn out the lights, the parties over,
they say that all good things must end.."

Looking @ the PDF file from LOSSAN, it doesn't look good for those out in Flyovercountry going to a Mileage/Fare Based system! As was said, burn 'em if you got 'em before the point devaluation kicks in Jan of 2016!!

The new Credit Cards are most likely coming from BOA in Sept. Think I'll keep my Chase Cards, but we'll see???

I'm from Missouri on this, Show Me!!
Old Aug 13, 2015, 11:30 am

Programs: AGR Select/Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum
Originally Posted by 84fiero
Just like this is only "fine tuning a well-oiled machine"

I wish marketing types wouldn't insult our intelligence with such BS. I know that will never happen but it doesn't have to stop me from being irritated with it!
Ditto! Marketspeak is Newspeak from " 1984"!
New and improved actually means more expensive and less! Madison Avenue BS!!!
Old Aug 13, 2015, 12:01 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
I'm down to about 50,000 points and will burn them all by the end of the year!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.