Search

Do I need to travel to get points?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2015, 10:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA*G, TK*G, Priority Club Platinum
Do I need to travel to get points?

Hi everyone,

I'm sorry to bug you with such n00b question but I hope someone can solve that really quickly here (and I didn't find the information anywhere else):

I need to generate earning activity to prevent AGR points from expiring in a week, so I bought a non-refundable ticket for $6.50. Does anyone know if I actually have to travel to get the points? How would Amtrak verify that I was actually on the train?

Best,
petzpanz
Old Mar 15, 2015, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, you need to travel. This is verified after conductor scans your ticket and it later posts to your AGR account.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 11:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA*G, TK*G, Priority Club Platinum
Originally Posted by nerd
Yes, you need to travel. This is verified after conductor scans your ticket and it later posts to your AGR account.
Great. Checking out the burbs then.

Thanks so much for the fast response!
Old Mar 17, 2015, 11:21 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
If it's a short trip (which the ticket price implies) then you may have to be aggressive in seeking out the conductor for him/her to scan your ticket. If he/she does not scan the ticket, then your excursion will be for naught in terms of keeping your points alive.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 7:53 pm
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by fairviewroad
If it's a short trip (which the ticket price implies) then you may have to be aggressive in seeking out the conductor for him/her to scan your ticket. If he/she does not scan the ticket, then your excursion will be for naught in terms of keeping your points alive.
Very good point. Late last year I did Coliseum Airport (OAC) to Jack London Sq (OKJ) and spend basically the entire trip looking for a conductor to make sure that my ticket got scanned. He thanked me for being honest and did find it a bit weird that I would take Amtrak between those 2 places, but points are points.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 1:31 pm

Programs: AA Plat,AS MVP Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Plat, Amtrak(all routes, VIA same, AUS 90%)
Am I missing something?

I rarely take a revenue Amtrak trip, Chase AGR only. It is implied in OP's question that travel is needed to prevent expiration. This assumes no Chase AGR card. Is my assumption correct?
Old Mar 20, 2015, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by jake108
I rarely take a revenue Amtrak trip, Chase AGR only. It is implied in OP's question that travel is needed to prevent expiration. This assumes no Chase AGR card. Is my assumption correct?
No, actually the OP was asking if merely buying a ticket will earn points for the trip and the answer is no. The ticket must be "lifted" by a conductor.

Possessing a Chase AGR (no longer available) will maintain existing points until that is changed.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 3:56 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Originally Posted by jake108
Your assumption is correct. If the OP has the Chase AGR card, no travel is needed to prevent expiration under the current terms of the program.

However, if someone doesn't have the AGR card, then PAID travel is needed (in other words, award redemptions don't count).
Old Mar 21, 2015, 3:06 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM
So partner activity doesn't count?

Looks like you can earn with a number of different hotel partners.

That doesn't keep your points from expiring?
Old Mar 21, 2015, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by TommyD2
Looks like you can earn with a number of different hotel partners.

That doesn't keep your points from expiring?
No. If you don't have the Chase AGR CC then you must buy a ticket AND get it lifted by a conductor. Merely earning or burning points does not do it.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To get away from individual recitals see: https://www.amtrakguestrewards.com/faqs/index
where is says:
Will my Amtrak Guest Rewards points expire?
Amtrak Guest Rewards points expire 36 months after your last paid Amtrak trip. Redemption travel reserved with points does not constitute paid travel. If you're a current cardholder of the Amtrak Guest Rewards® MasterCard® from Chase® with an open account, your points will not expire even if you do not purchase Amtrak travel.
No partner spend, no point transfers, no award spend. Actual paid travel is the only option. Not to go against any of the T&Cs, if you know someone near a couple of stations...
Old Mar 22, 2015, 10:30 am

Programs: DL 2 MM
Originally Posted by RogerD408
No. If you don't have the Chase AGR CC then you must buy a ticket AND get it lifted by a conductor. Merely earning or burning points does not do it.
Thanks for the info.

Weird, tho.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.