Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

Paying with multiple credit cards, or buying an upgrade separately?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2014, 5:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive

I have a flexible spending account through work that I'd like to use for an upcoming trip on Amtrak. I have enough in my account for the base rail fare, but I'd like to get an upgrade, which I'd have to pay for separately.

So...

(1) Can I use both the flexible spending account Visa and another credit card to buy a ticket-using 2 credit cards as payment when I initially buy the ticket? Can I do so online?

(2) Can I buy a regular ticket now and upgrade it later? If I do both parts of the transaction within a few days, the base railfare shouldn't have changed much, so would the card I use for the regular ticket (my flexible spending account Visa) be re-run as part of the upgrade?

Thanks.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by NYCommuter
I have a flexible spending account through work that I'd like to use for an upcoming trip on Amtrak. I have enough in my account for the base rail fare, but I'd like to get an upgrade, which I'd have to pay for separately.

So...

(1) Can I use both the flexible spending account Visa and another credit card to buy a ticket-using 2 credit cards as payment when I initially buy the ticket? Can I do so online?

(2) Can I buy a regular ticket now and upgrade it later? If I do both parts of the transaction within a few days, the base railfare shouldn't have changed much, so would the card I use for the regular ticket (my flexible spending account Visa) be re-run as part of the upgrade?

Thanks.
I haven't seen an option online to do a split payment on Amtrak, but then I haven't looked real close. Your best bet is to call in and speak with an agent. I would expect their system to allow such transactions.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 10:20 am
Company Representative - Amtrak

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (Select Executive)
Our reservation system presently only allows a single credit card to be charged for a given transaction. If you talk to an agent, they may be able to split the transaction for you by breaking it down into pieces and doing a ticket exchange for the second charge, but it will take them a few steps to try that and it may also depend on the agent's skill level. To answer your other question, you can definitely upgrade an already ticketed trip at a later time (and also pay any resulting difference in base rail fare when you do so).

Anthony
Old Jan 30, 2015, 10:10 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by AGR Insider
To answer your other question, you can definitely upgrade an already ticketed trip at a later time (and also pay any resulting difference in base rail fare when you do so).
But can you do it with a different credit card? I just changed an itinerary from Regional to Acela and was required to use the same credit card as the original transaction (via amtrak.com).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.