Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Downeaster Cancellations

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2014, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Downeaster Cancellations

I was scheduled to take the Downeaster in Business Class from Boston to Portland next Wednesday (late morning), but it appears that train has been cancelled (as has the 9am). It looks like my options are thruway bus service at either 8am or 2pm. Given the downgrade from Business class to bus:

Is there some kind of airline-style recompense (vouchers or points)?
Is there "original routing credit" for points?
Any other option I'm missing to get me from Boston to Portland? I don't suppose Amtrak would be willing to foot a 2 hour taxi ride or one-way car rental?
Old Jul 18, 2014, 12:34 pm

Programs: AGR
1. If Amtrak cancelled the train you can get a full refund. It should have been offered when Amtrak called you.
2. ? Is this segment paid with AGR points or part of a longer redemption ? If so, call AGR .
3. Very good bus service by Concord Coach between BOS South Station(Transportation Center) and Portland, ME(Transportation Center).There are other bus lines you can search for. Boston North station is only a mile and a half from BOS. Taxi or MBTA subway.

Last edited by dicksboat; Jul 18, 2014 at 12:44 pm Reason: Added
Old Jul 18, 2014, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

It looks like Concord is a nice option that's slightly less expensive than Amtrak's coach tickets but leaves from the much more convenient South Station (and at the same time the train was supposed to leave). Thanks for the suggestion!
Old Jul 18, 2014, 1:01 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select
In this situation I would opt for a cancellation on amtrak (for a full refund - you are in BC) and then purchase a Concord Coach ticket from BOS to portland. Concord Coach has great service and a very comfortable and clean ride up to Maine from south Station.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 1:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Concord (which runs from both Logan Airport and South Station) is faster, cleaner, cheaper and includes WiFi. Better deal than the train even if the train were running. I would take the refund and purchase the Concord ticket.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the insight everyone! I've gone ahead and cancelled the Amtrak reservation. Does Concord sell out certain times? It looks like buying the tickets at the station is easier than buying online and printing.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 4:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Yes, but they run second (and third) sections all the time. There are no reserved seats, so the fact that you purchase in advance doesn't help anyway. You simply stand in line at the gate (at South Station) or the marked position at the curn (at Logan).
Old Aug 1, 2014, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by EricTheNerd
It looks like Concord is a nice option that's slightly less expensive than Amtrak's coach tickets but leaves from the much more convenient South Station (and at the same time the train was supposed to leave). Thanks for the suggestion!
Very, very misstated.

Senior fare on Downeaster is $12.50 (half price been going on). We did a round trip in July at $12.50 each for each direction. Concord has no senior discount, much less a senior special. So, while Concord is cheaper for adults, it definitely is not cheaper for everyone all the time.

BOS is NOT ALWAYS the most convenient. If you are going to catch another train or going to the airport, it is more convenient. If not, BON may be the most convenient. It was for us.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 9:38 pm
Original Poster

I should've been more specific in that South Station was more convenient for our trip given our hotel location.

We just returned from this trip, and Concord did a good job. I should note that despite getting to the terminal 20 minutes before departure, there was quite a line for the bus (I believe this particular bus continued past Portland). We managed to get on, though I'm not sure everyone in line behind us did. I guess the lesson is to get there early!
Old Aug 2, 2014, 9:03 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Unlike Greyhound, Amtrak, or the airlines, Concord will bring another bus if the first one fills up, so that no one gets left behind.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 8:09 pm

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by diburning
Unlike Greyhound, Amtrak, or the airlines, Concord will bring another bus if the first one fills up, so that no one gets left behind.
Say what? -- for some of the east coast shuttles, such as the ones Eastern ran, they'd just pull out another plane if there was enough demand.

That said, Amtrak is constrained by the number of cars it has and the number of cars an engine can pull --- typically if they put six cars on a train, they can get by with one engine. If they add a seventh car, they have to add another engine.

Adding additional sections does happen from time to time, e.g. around Turkey day and that practice predates Amtrak.

Bob H
Old Aug 4, 2014, 11:05 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Amtrak WILL overbook. Eastern may have been an exception as that is not the mainstream procedure today. On current day airlines that have shuttles, its simply first come, first served, and anyone who misses a flight because it's overbooked will have to wait for the next one.

Amtrak will proactively add cars and/or extra trains for holidays (because they know that they can fill them and make more money) but for all other times of the year, you're SOL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.