Wiki Posts
Search

Acela F question - NYP

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2014, 8:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium; Amtrak Select
Acela F question - NYP

Greetings: I am an occasional Acela traveler and am sometimes fortunate enough to ride in first. My usual route is STM to DC and when I travel alone and am in F, I like to grab one of the solo seats. If one is not available when I get on in Stamford, 90-100% of the car clears out in New York and I'm all set. But Friday I am traveling from NYP to DC at a peak time, so I'm wondering what my best strategy is for getting the seat I desire. Red cap? Have never used one... I should be at the station early in any event.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 8:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Either be at the front of the line at NYP to go down to track level when they post the track, or better yet, bypass the rush by boarding from the NJ Transit level. If you're not familiar with how to do that, go to the main hall with the big train info screen (and tons of people waiting for the track to post), then take the escalator in the middle of the hall near the train info sign down to the NJT level. Immediately in front of you will be a few train info signs - one with both NJT and Amtrak trains, and one with NJT only. Stay (very) alert for both announcements by parking yourself in front of the monitors, which usually are posted 10-15 min before departure times. A bunch of NJT riders will be doing the same as well as some in-the-know Amtrak riders. Immediately when they post the track, go to the corresponding track's stairs to the platform and board. If you do it right, the first folks will just be making down the escalator from the main Amtrak level after they've been funneled into the ticket check and narrow escalator. Note that you might be able to surmise the departure track if the train is coming in from Boston and you can find the arrival info, but they may not be ready to take passengers yet if the departure track hasn't been posted. Also note that you might see something like track 12W posted, but the 12W door may be closed on the NJT level - in this case, just use the 12E (12 East) door on the other side of the hall - no reason to panic.

I have not used red caps as I'm rarely with substantial luggage in NYC, but that's likely an option as well.

Last edited by phlwookie; Jun 24, 2014 at 9:04 pm
Old Jun 25, 2014, 2:53 am

For the red cap, if the train is originating from NYP, then the red cap is definitely going to work for the pre-board. If the train is coming from BOS, then the red cap usually works but I have witnessed some situations where it did not pre-board as early (sometimes there's some congestion to get to the tracks, there are other red caps occupying the elevator so as to wait, etc.).

If you are in F, definitely use the Club Acela (and ask for red cap in there if you wish).
Old Jun 25, 2014, 9:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Diamond, Hyatt Plat, AA Plat, SPG Plat/Lifetime Plat, Amex Plat / PRG, DClub
Acela Club is your best bet. Get track number from there (they announce there first) then do the trick described by phlwookie. Works almost every time.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by mapletree
Acela Club is your best bet. Get track number from there (they announce there first) then do the trick described by phlwookie. Works almost every time.
I've tried to do that, but they usually only announce the track a minute or two ahead of posting it on the screens outside, so by the time I gather my things and head out the door, they've already started boarding. If you do hang out in the Club Acela, be by the door and ready to go as soon as they make the verbal announcement and then you can probably beat the crowd onto the train.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium; Amtrak Select
Thanks for the advice, everyone. Used a redcap and it was calm, easy, no rushing.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 10:21 am

Programs: Independent
So if I am going from NYP to BOS on a Sunday (the 4:03 train) do I have to fight to get a single side seat? Or are there usually enough open on that section I dont have to worry?
Old Jul 9, 2014, 8:49 am

Programs: Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by Cloudship
So if I am going from NYP to BOS on a Sunday (the 4:03 train) do I have to fight to get a single side seat? Or are there usually enough open on that section I dont have to worry?
I haven't taken that particular train recently, I normally take the earlier ones. The 12 pm and the 2 pm acela's headed north are generally sold out in the FC car on Sundays and I would definitely recommend a red cap or the mezzanine boarding strategy to ensure that you are on the platform as the train pulls into the station (or shortly thereafter). If you wait with the hordes for the escalator down on the amtrak level I imagine that the single seats will probably be gone - although YMMV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.