Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seat reservations coming on Acela?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2014, 5:10 pm
Original Poster

Seat reservations coming on Acela?

I'm a left coaster, but I was on Acela yesterday and saw that they had installed a little gizmo above the seat that had both a seat number on it and a small LCD display for each seat. This reminded me of the ICE (German train) where you can reserve a specific seat ahead of time. The seat is then labeled with the stations between which it is occupied so if you don't have a seat res you don't accidentally sit in a reserved seat.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 5:39 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: HH Diamond, Amtrak Exec
That "gizmo" has been there since day one of Acela. It was intended to be part of the original eTicketing system that failed to happen; not the current one. It would have indicated if the seat was occupied and where the passenger was getting off. The idea was to eliminate the more traditional seat checks. And yes, it would have been part of the assigned seating program. In fact, even though the gizmo's were never turned on, Acela First Class did for several months have assigned seating when Acela first started running.

One could pull up a diagram, much like you do on airline sites, and select your seat. If you didn't select one at the time of booking, then one was assigned for you automatically.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 5:52 pm

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
A couple weeks ago, I got a little excited when I saw those row/seat displays actually lit up...but alas, they just used the usual paper seat checks.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 9:36 am

I can see that having all seats assigned would be difficult, with people getting on and off at so many stations. But would it be difficult to have only some seats assigned? In other words, have that as an option, even if there was a small fee for it. The electronic gizmo could show the segment for which the seat was already reserved so that those with non-assigned seats could know whether or not they'd have to move later if they sat there.

Or would almost everyone want to do the assigned seat option, putting it back into too-difficult territory?

Just wondering. I've read complaints that people traveling together couldn't find seats together, etc.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by crescent2
I can see that having all seats assigned would be difficult, with people getting on and off at so many stations. But would it be difficult to have only some seats assigned? In other words, have that as an option, even if there was a small fee for it. The electronic gizmo could show the segment for which the seat was already reserved so that those with non-assigned seats could know whether or not they'd have to move later if they sat there.

Or would almost everyone want to do the assigned seat option, putting it back into too-difficult territory?

Just wondering. I've read complaints that people traveling together couldn't find seats together, etc.
It's not difficult at all. Ride the high-speed trains in China. Or Taiwan. Or France. It work, and works well around the world.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.