Search

Train NYC to DC [Acela]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2014, 8:10 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2 Million-miler , SPG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Train NYC to DC [Acela]

Is Asceola (Sp) fast train that much better than regional train? Any bad issues with regional train service Penn Station to Union ?
Old Apr 6, 2014, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

As FT has a dedicated Amtrak forum, you might request that a Moderator move your thread to that forum.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 9:30 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The Acela is not really a "fast train" but a "marginally faster train" (approximately 15-20 minutes faster than regional on the NYP-WAS route). But, it is much more pleasant. In Business Class (the lower of the 2 classes on Acela), the seats are nicer than regional, there is greater pitch and the entire environment is better. In First Class on Acela (the higher of the 2 classes), the seating is 2-1 (particularly nice if you are alone), there is a meal served at your seat and alcohol is included.

There are no particularly "bad" issues.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 3:07 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Aadvantage, Skymiles, Marriott, Priority Club, SPG, Amtrak, Hertz
The difference in quality is small, but the price difference is high. For leisure travel, I always book the regular regional train several months in advance to lock in a low price. If travelling for work, I book the Acela because I earn more points. On the train right now, even fully booked, it's a much more pleasant ride than a flight.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 3:53 pm

Programs: BA GfL
Originally Posted by Kay_nyc
The difference in quality is small, but the price difference is high. For leisure travel, I always book the regular regional train several months in advance to lock in a low price. If travelling for work, I book the Acela because I earn more points. On the train right now, even fully booked, it's a much more pleasant ride than a flight.
+1 on all of that. I take about 5-6 Acela RTs per month for work, but when I am paying for it, I ride Regional. The Acela seats are nicer, but for where I'm going (WIL to either NYP or WAS) the time difference is pretty minimal and the price difference is pretty large.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

consider booking business class on the std train if still available.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 7:09 pm

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by travelmad478
+1 on all of that. I take about 5-6 Acela RTs per month for work, but when I am paying for it, I ride Regional. The Acela seats are nicer, but for where I'm going (WIL to either NYP or WAS) the time difference is pretty minimal and the price difference is pretty large.
and the frequency is once the same -- i.e. once an hour

Bob H.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 7:23 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Aadvantage, Skymiles, Marriott, Priority Club, SPG, Amtrak, Hertz
Originally Posted by slawecki
I've never understood the point of the business section on the regional. It's just that that much nicer for the price difference. And the train is plenty nice on it's own. I've sat next to obese people and didn't feel like I was lacking space.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 7:54 am

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.3; en-us; HTC_T120C Build/IML74K) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

Originally Posted by Kay_nyc
I've never understood the point of the business section on the regional. It's just that that much nicer for the price difference. And the train is plenty nice on it's own. I've sat next to obese people and didn't feel like I was lacking space.
I only book Regional Business, if I expect a train to be very crowded. It improves my chances of no seatmate.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 8:31 pm

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
Originally Posted by vatraveler
I only book Regional Business, if I expect a train to be very crowded. It improves my chances of no seatmate.
Plus more leg room than in coach.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 7:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
I completely agree with this. I find booking business on the regional (rather than the standard coach) to be the "sweet spot" in terms of value. It is still cheaper than the Acela but nicer than coach on the regional.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 10:35 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Agree with the posters above, I do regional for personal travel, Acela for business travel, because it is significantly more costly. Some regionals do not originate in DC or NY, so are sometimes more off-schedule, too. FWIW, I think Acela First Class NY-DC is one of the nicest and easiest travel experiences you can have in the US, better than domestic First Class air travel except on some transcontinental flights.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by Artpen100
Agree with the posters above, I do regional for personal travel, Acela for business travel, because it is significantly more costly. Some regionals do not originate in DC or NY, so are sometimes more off-schedule, too. FWIW, I think Acela First Class NY-DC is one of the nicest and easiest travel experiences you can have in the US, better than domestic First Class air travel except on some transcontinental flights.
Acela first class is lovely! Great service, I had granola for breakfast...Unfortunately, the only time I took it, my manager followed up with me on my travel spending - an this was in at a company that seemed to not care about travel expenditures. The ticket was the only one left when I was booking, and it cost something like $700 to go from NYC to DC.

Last edited by Kay_nyc; Apr 27, 2014 at 8:09 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.