Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amtrak virgin SFO-ORD-LAX-SFO

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2014, 6:55 am

Programs: Hilton (D)
During western station stops where dwell time allows (conductors will say), take the opportunity to step off the train and take in mountain scenery without the brown-tinted safety glass between you and it.

Step away from the train and breath in cool, crisp mountain air at stops like SLC, Grand Junction, DEN, ABQ. Especially if it's early morning.

You will be exploring America at ground level. Enjoy it. Beats flyover travel IMHO.

If the Southwest Chief is on time at LAX, make traxx to the first class lounge above and to the right of the ticketing desk. Stash your luggage with the attendants and explore downtown LA for a few hours before boarding the Coast Starlight.
Old May 18, 2014, 11:22 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: RIP
Arrived Chicago a few hours late today, but well spent in the lounge car with a live concert by two guitarists^

Properly devirginized^ Great trip. More to come. Only 39 hours before the return
Old May 19, 2014, 6:33 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by skaya
Never tried a single Amtrak segment, and now I find myself on the California Zephyr Emeryville-Chicago where we will stay 2 nights before going back on the Southwest chief to LA, connecting to Coastal starlight back to Emeryville in time for graduation

We have booked 2 roomettes for a total of 4 people. Is there a way to sea car maps ala seats maps like seatguru.com to see where we are compared to dining cars etc? Should we care at all which roomettes we get?

What limitations are there on menus? Can you have multiple course from the included menu? I know no alcohol, but I guess you can bring your own?
And no internet on any of those trains with the exception of one car on the Coastal starlight?

Any advise for firsttimers?

Thanks^
The menus are multi-course and similar to what you might get in an Applebees, but the views are much better.

If you bring your own alcohol, you're limited to drinking it in your room.

Also, depending on when your going there is a possibility of a detour through Wyoming which would mean the train would run non stop between Salt Lake City and Denver.

Bob H
Old May 19, 2014, 6:35 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Thanks again for all advice.

Now stocking up for the return on Southwest Chief.

Our own alcohol worked fine in lounge and diner, if using cups brought from roomette, and behaving. It was also clearly hinted from staff. All great staff btw.

What seems customary to tip your sleeper attendant (for 2 roomettes)?
Old May 19, 2014, 6:44 pm

Programs: Marriott, Southwest, American, Delta, Amtrak,Multiple others
On your return, when you are in Kansas City you can see a great barbecue restaurant across the tracks (too bad you can't make a carry out order). If you have a chance, go into the station that is one of the few restored classic Union Stations that still serves Amtrak. Pierpont's is an excellent bar/restaurant located in the station. I can't recall the layover time in KC because that previously was my 'home' station where I boarded the train.

Have a great trip.
Old May 19, 2014, 6:46 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Armani
On your return, when you are in Kansas City you can see a great barbecue restaurant across the tracks (too bad you can't make a carry out order). If you have a chance, go into the station that is one of the few restored classic Union Stations that still serves Amtrak. Pierpont's is an excellent bar/restaurant located in the station. I can't recall the layover time in KC because that previously was my 'home' station where I boarded the train.

Have a great trip.
Thanks for the tip. Will check it out.

Last (hopefully) questions as we arrive LA at 0815 and depart on Coastal Starlight at 1010. If we misconnect, what can we expect from Amtrak? Hotel/meals/24h delay? Or any other way (on Amtraks expense) to get to SF (our destination) same day? Other train/bus etc?
Old May 19, 2014, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by skaya
Thanks for the tip. Will check it out.

Last (hopefully) questions as we arrive LA at 0815 and depart on Coastal Starlight at 1010. If we misconnect, what can we expect from Amtrak? Hotel/meals/24h delay? Or any other way (on Amtraks expense) to get to SF (our destination) same day? Other train/bus etc?
Amtrak has some bus+train combinations that can get you from LAX to EMY (or surrounding) after the scheduled departure of the Coast Starlight. If offered such a rerouting, check carefully - some bus journeys are much longer than others. Just punch your date into amtrak.com for LAX-EMY.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.