Wiki Posts
Search

Amtrak newbie looking for advice

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2014, 9:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MR, UR, AA, AS, HH Gold, SPG Gold, HGP, RR
Amtrak newbie looking for advice

I'll be traveling BOS to WAS with my 11 year old daughter, my sister-in-law, and my 11 year old nephew in April. It's school break week for New England public schools . Thinking of taking the train. There is an overnight that leaves BOS after 9pm and arrives at WAS about 7 am. Really affordable to book this right now using our Amex cards with the Amtrak spend $150 get $30 statement credit offer. Before we pull the trigger, I have some questions...

On an overnight leaving from BOS, will we have trouble finding seats together? It's actually Easter Sunday that we'll be leaving. How early do we need to arrive to ensure a good choice of seats? Are the coach seats comfortable enough to sleep in? We've taken a few red eyes with the kids and they've been good about sleeping on the flights. I think it's preferable to trying to keep them amused and quiet for 7+ hours and definitely better than driving!. How disruptive are the stops if you're trying to sleep?

Recommendations for where to sit? I'm assuming not much to see at night so based only on comfort/convenience/quiet.

Are there 24 hour coffee and snacks or should we bring our own?

Sorry for the long post. TIA for your input.

Last edited by SquarePeg; Jan 7, 2014 at 9:31 pm
Old Jan 8, 2014, 12:55 pm
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
In terms of getting seats together - The obvious answer is that the earlier you board, the better your chance of getting seats together, so boarding as soon as you are able to start boarding would be the best way to guarantee it.

Here's the not-so-obvious answer - I'm not sure if Easter will be a busy night for train 67 at BOS, but if you get to the station and it looks like it's busy, you can get the assistance of a RedCap. They will help you with bags/luggage if you need it, and also make sure to get you seats together. This is a free service, but a tip is generally expected.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lo2e
In terms of getting seats together - The obvious answer is that the earlier you board, the better your chance of getting seats together, so boarding as soon as you are able to start boarding would be the best way to guarantee it.

Here's the not-so-obvious answer - I'm not sure if Easter will be a busy night for train 67 at BOS, but if you get to the station and it looks like it's busy, you can get the assistance of a RedCap. They will help you with bags/luggage if you need it, and also make sure to get you seats together. This is a free service, but a tip is generally expected.
Excellent! I'm happy to tip for help getting us all situated. We'll have minimal baggage - maybe a couple of carry-ons and backpacks for the kids. Might buy a couple of cheap pillows for them to bring on the train...
Old Jan 8, 2014, 2:23 pm

I have been on this train a couple of times, but never on a holiday.
My recollection is that it gets busier from NYC south. The day I travelled it
looked pretty full south of PHL. I would think with the a red cap and/ or conductors assistance you should snag a pair of seats together out of South Station.
Yes, the seats are wider than any airliner seat and they do recline.
Enjoy the trip.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the input. The kids are almost as excited about the train as they are about going to DC. We'll fly home since we found a very nice fare on B6.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by SquarePeg
There is an overnight that leaves BOS after 9pm and arrives at WAS about 7 am.
I'm not sure I would want anybody's first experience with trains to be a 10-hr overnight. Yes, Amtrak coach sucks less than a plane, but it takes five times as long. Denver to Grand Junction via the Moffat Tunnel and Colorado River valley would be my recommendation.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 9:26 pm

Programs: AGR
Originally Posted by SquarePeg
Are there 24 hour coffee and snacks or should we bring our own?
The café car is open all the trip except for the one hour dwell time at NYP.

Last edited by dicksboat; Jan 8, 2014 at 9:29 pm Reason: spelling
Old Jan 9, 2014, 10:14 am

Spring the $$ for the Red Cap at BOS. This is a crowded train on a normal weekend anyways. Red Cap should get you early boarding and ability to choose seats.

For kids of that age, I would NOT get the 4 seats that face each other. It looks good on surface but limited recline and everyone will be bumping knees. It's better to just get 2 pairs of seats across the aisle from each other.

There's not much scenery since it's overnight and people want the car quiet. There are outlets at each seat, so bring some movies and a headphone splitter so the kids don't disturb other passengers' sleep. There also aren't curtains so eyemasks are another good idea for everyone.

Cafe does close at NYP. When it re-opens is dependent on the attendant. I've made it almost to PHL in some cases before it opens again. After that, most of the cafe tables will be taken and after BAL, it's full. Packing your own snacks wouldn't be a bad idea. You can get a good breakfast on arrival in DC.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ne52
Spring the $$ for the Red Cap at BOS. This is a crowded train on a normal weekend anyways. Red Cap should get you early boarding and ability to choose seats.

For kids of that age, I would NOT get the 4 seats that face each other. It looks good on surface but limited recline and everyone will be bumping knees. It's better to just get 2 pairs of seats across the aisle from each other.

There's not much scenery since it's overnight and people want the car quiet. There are outlets at each seat, so bring some movies and a headphone splitter so the kids don't disturb other passengers' sleep. There also aren't curtains so eyemasks are another good idea for everyone.

Cafe does close at NYP. When it re-opens is dependent on the attendant. I've made it almost to PHL in some cases before it opens again. After that, most of the cafe tables will be taken and after BAL, it's full. Packing your own snacks wouldn't be a bad idea. You can get a good breakfast on arrival in DC.
Thanks for the specific advice. I was wondering about the facing seats and curtains/shades. The kids are good (or bad depending on your perspective) about getting lost in their iPads for hours so they won't have a problem being quiet. Hopefully they'll be fast asleep by 11.

I tried searching the Amtrak site but could not find a listing of the stops and stop times for this specific train. Just curious about how much time between stops in the wee hours... can someone please point me in the right direction? I'm sure I'm missing something obvious. never mind - found it!

Last edited by SquarePeg; Jan 9, 2014 at 12:19 pm
Old Jan 9, 2014, 12:27 pm

Programs: BA GfL
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
I'm not sure I would want anybody's first experience with trains to be a 10-hr overnight.
I'd have to concur with that assessment. You're not taking a sleeper train, just a train with regular seats. While they are perfectly comfortable for sitting, the NEC Regional seats are not made for sleeping. They don't recline all that far. Maybe I am just a princess, but I cannot sleep sitting up, and if I were forced to, I would be darn grumpy the next day.

The other point to make is that sleeping on a 10-hour train ride will not be like sleeping on a 10-hour plane trip. You're constantly interrupted by loud announcements from the conductors, train stops/starts, and of course that long, wee-hours-of-the-morning halt at NYP when people will be milling around and the cleaners come through. In the daytime this wouldn't bother you; at night it could be infuriating. It would be a terrible night's sleep.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 1:48 pm

To the point above, its USUALLY pretty quiet after 10-11pm but depends on the other passengers. I normally wear headphones with a white noise app while I sleep so it's not really an issue. That being said, I try to avoid overnight coach in any possible case but ~$40 per person is tough to beat.

#67 time table is here: http://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/940/57/N...e-101413,0.pdf

There's not much to delay you at that hour. The train will probably arrive ahead of schedule at most stops and sit for a couple of minutes until the scheduled departure time. They try to avoid the PA system as much as possible during the night so most of the minor stops go unannounced. Other than NYP and WAS, most stops only last as long as it takes everyone to get on or off.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

I appreciate the reality checks about the overnight train. However, since this is an extra trip that we are squeezing in to an already busy travel year, we are hoping to keep our cost down as much as possible. We all have the week off and were going to drive it but the Amtrak fare was too good to pass up. After the Amex credit it is less than $50 pp and flight home is under $100. So much better than driving. Got a great rate at Hilton and many of the things we plan to do are free. The kids will sleep through it and the adults will get by.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 3:16 pm

I've taken that overnight many times and never had any difficulties sleeping. The conductors are very quiet. I think last time I was asleep by Route 128, woke up briefly in New York and Philadelphia, and otherwise sailed on through the night dreaming until Washington.

It does get crowded, though.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Just following up with a quick report of our trip. The kids loved the train. We took the advice here and hd a redcap load us. When everyone else boarded, It was pretty full. By the time we reached 128 there was a family of 4 who had to sit apart. The kids were both sound asleep by Providence and we adults dozed off and on. At NY Penn many people got off and there was room to spread out for a bit. We enjoyed the trip but did feel pretty beat by mid day on Monday. We all had a nice pre dinner nap and were fine the rest of the trip.

All in all, it was good. So much more relaxing than flying. I have a trip to NJ coming up in a few months , this time will be during the day and solo. I may take the train again if the schedule works out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.