Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

Ideas for AGR Insider to consider for better elite recognition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2013, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)

In reading some of the ideas posted in this thread, I thought it might be a good idea for us to have a consolidated place to suggest and discuss some ideas for AGR to improve the recognition of AGR elites. Perhaps once we flesh out some of these ideas, we can even have a little poll and rank them. My hope is that AGR Insider will read this thread and perhaps come away with something to take to the Amtrak Powers That Be to actually effect some improvement in this area (which will, hopefully, lead to improved loyalty among AGR members and thus higher revenue for Amtrak).

Anyway, I'll try to keep this first post updated with new ideas, but I'll start off with the ideas I combed from the post linked above as well as some of my previous ideas. I'll post the idea along with a "revenue impact" rating (how much it would "cost" Amtrak), a "logistical impact" rating (how difficult it would be to implement), and a "loyalty impact" rating (how much it would increase the likelihood of frequent travelers to choose Amtrak). Perhaps the ones that have a "low" revenue impact, a "low" logistical impact, and a "high" loyalty impact" can be implemented someday soon...and the other ones someday later.

Priority lines at ticket counters
  • Revenue impact: low
  • Logistical impact: low
  • Loyalty impact: medium

Priority boarding (where feasible)
At major staffed stations, provide a separate boarding lane for elite members to access the platform. At smaller/unstaffed but busier stations, possibly have conductors and/or attendants call for elites to board first
  • Logistical impact: medium
  • Loyalty impact: high

Verbal recognition of elites by Amtrak staff (during announcements and personal interactions)
On-board announcements include "We'd like to thank our valuable Amtrak Guest Rewards Select members." Ticket agents and conductors verbally thank elite members for their loyalty/patronage during transactions (may need to include computers or the iPhone app more prominently displaying the customer's elite status for the employee to see)

Complimentary on-board beverage
Similar to American Airlines (or Alaska Airlines' "First One's On Us"). One (more?) free non-alchoholic (or alcoholic?) beverage. At wholesale prices, cost should be minimal

Complimentary on-board snacks
Similar to American Airlines. Complimentary item from cafe car?
  • Revenue impact: medium

Unlimited complimentary upgrades from coach to business class
See linked post for more details

Four annual upgrades to sleeper class
  • Revenue impact: high

Free same-day changes
  • Logistical impact: low to medium (depending on how implemented)

Rollover points
Similar to Delta and Marriott. Mentioned in thread linked at beginning of post
  • Revenue impact: medium (on paper)

Lifetime status recognition
After ? lifetime Tier Qualifying Points, award ? status for life

Priority seating in diner
Lead attendant has manifest including status and proceeds to status passengers (including status passengers in coach? calls coach status passengers via PA?) first for dining reservations

Free day-checking of bags
At stations with checked baggage service, elites can day-check a bag at the checked luggage counter
  • Loyalty impact: low...but why not? It's just that I can check a bag PHL-LAX for free (and involve labor from many employees) but have to pay $4 to store it (where one guy handles it for a grand total of 12 seconds)

Please feel free to post other ideas or discuss these ones!

Last edited by jackal; Jan 20, 2014 at 3:48 pm Reason: OP request title change
Old Jan 27, 2013, 6:22 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Executive, Hertz PC, National EE, IC Diamond Ambassador, ALL Gold, Hyatt Disc
Do I like AGR? Yes. Would a better elite experience be a huge plus for the program? I believe so

It really depends on how many "elite" members are out there and how they would use the benefits. I feel that benefits to attract regular riders on board may increase spend on items such as F&B. Discounted upgrades or upgrade certificates could encourage travel (such as if you had the upgrade one way and paid for the return).

Having experienced United Global Services (and 1K) membership, Royal Ambassador with IHG, and Platinum with Marriott, all offer benefits that are nice and all have some short-comings. My suggestion would be to add some benefits that go beyond just point redemption and have some affect on the travel experience itself.

These may cost a little bit but they may make the difference between whether a regular rider may chose Amtrak for their "elite" benefits over chosing an airline for the same trip. Benefits that extend to those customers outside the Northeast would be nice as well. Upgrade Coupons and Discounts are great but I already have AAA for 10% off and live in Northern California where there is no "Business Class" or "Club Acela" or lounge period that matter to use the coupons on.

So as a regular commuter who happens to be S+, where is the real "elite" benefit or incentive for me or those in my situation besides for the 50% point bonus?

Will I continue to use Amtrak, of course! But I do not feel any of that "elitle" loyalty or "love" that may be felt in the Northeast.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 6:29 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
I'm elite on US Airways, but not on Amtrak, but when I take Amtrak, I almost always go paid business or first class.

Paid business/FC passengers should get the same shorter line/boarding benefits that elite members get, at least in boarding and at the station.

I am, at best, extremely annoyed by the "let's line people up in a massive herd of people and make them wait at a gate until 10 minutes before departure" procedures that I see on Amtrak at a variety of stations, from Seattle to Charlotte and elsewhere, even when there can be no railroad operational requirements (such as uncertainty about which track will be used for a specific train) that cause those lines. I don't have to deal with my time being wasted like that on US Airways, and I sure shouldn't on Amtrak.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 9:38 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: HH Diamond, Amtrak Exec
Originally Posted by jackal
Already in place in WAS, where elites can use the special Acela ticket line.

Oddly enough though, this perk doesn't exist at NYP, where only Acela pax can use the Acela line. Of it it is allowed, then the sign doesn't state that like it does in DC.

And maybe one for the list, personally I'd love to see a perk where elites get to day check bags for free at any station with checked baggage.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 7:19 am

Programs: Amtrak Select
Free same day changes would be nice for all S, S+ and S++ members, if there are seats available. It would certainly mean that I am more likely to use amtrak for business purposes when I might get out of a meeting early.

I also like AlanB's idea of free day-checking of bags.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Props to jackal for making an effort with this. The post is thoughtful and specific, in contrast to the many threads of the form 'Airline xx just doesn't love elites anymore!' Amtrak and AGR may have different ideas of cost and cost effectiveness, there are some delivery issues to be worked out, and questions of perceived value to frequent trainers probably needs a lot of work. But this is a good start, if AGR lacks for routine evaluations of this type.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:49 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM
The first step towards implementing any of these "on the ground" benefits is to educate Amtrak employees on the AGR elite program. What the program means, why people have this status, why it is important to Amtrak and to thank these customers for their business. I used to encounter employees who had no idea Guest Rewards even existed! I'd have to guess it was about 2009 the last time it happened, so well after the program started in 2001.

Once employees are educated about the program, the next step is putting information in their hands on WHO these passengers are. The iPhones are obviously the easiest way for onboard recognition. When they lift a ticket, a small note should be presented on the confirmation dialog they press to complete the lift. At that point the conductor should say, "Thank you Mr. Passenger for being a Select member. We appreciate your business with Amtrak."

eTickets should also display the member level, much like airlines do, by the member number. This will facilitate recognition to employees who don't have iPhones or computers, such as gate dragons.

With these building blocks in place, you can start rolling out free day-check for luggage, priority boarding and ticket counter lines, etc.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by ByeByeDelta
Once employees are educated about the program, the next step is putting information in their hands on WHO these passengers are. The iPhones are obviously the easiest way for onboard recognition. When they lift a ticket, a small note should be presented on the confirmation dialog they press to complete the lift. At that point the conductor should say, "Thank you Mr. Passenger for being a Select member. We appreciate your business with Amtrak."

eTickets should also display the member level, much like airlines do, by the member number. This will facilitate recognition to employees who don't have iPhones or computers, such as gate dragons.
Agree wholeheartedly! ^^
Old Jan 30, 2013, 3:38 pm

Programs: united, Hilton, Amtrak
I'm select plus from Chicago.

I would most appreciate priority boarding when going coach. Also, maybe a bonus percentage for booking bc on Midwest corridor service trains. I don't see myself making that 20k tier. Too hard from Chicago.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:40 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Great thread.

That said, it's going to be harder to implement elite recognition, beyond PA announcements, on non-corridor services. Nor will the demand be that great. The bennies should continue to relate to whether you're in sleeper or business class, with one very important exception: I want to be able to sit in my preferred seat on any Amtrak service, not where the conductor wants to seat me. That would be determined on boarding, taking into account things like window and door placement, where the scenery is, and the location of other passengers. No more fleeing to the lounge car and hogging non-revenue space because the conductor or car attendant won't agree to simple requests.

For the other bennies, AGR should focus first on the NEC with free same-day, space-available changes and shorter lines at key stations (but realistically, elites don't line up for tickets much anyway). Earlier boarding would be great at places like BOS, where the red caps demand their pound of flesh to beat the crowd (unless you're in Acela First, but few people know about that loophole). A limited number of food/drink vouchers might be good for Acela Business, since Amtrak is able to pull that off on Regional Business trains without too much employee abuse.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 2:37 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Let me add my praise to jackal's efforts here and all the great suggestions so far. ^

Originally Posted by ByeByeDelta
The first step towards implementing any of these "on the ground" benefits is to educate Amtrak employees on the AGR elite program. What the program means, why people have this status, why it is important to Amtrak and to thank these customers for their business. I used to encounter employees who had no idea Guest Rewards even existed! I'd have to guess it was about 2009 the last time it happened, so well after the program started in 2001.
Spot-on; the "service culture" factor is foundational and all else should flow from it. As it is, service consistency is a problem at Amtrak. Training in "how to treat our best customers" is a needed subset of Customer Service 101. All passengers should be treated with basic dignity. Select-and-up should be treated with special recognition where feasible, backed by a menu of hard benefits that members can request if not proactively offered.

Even at the notorious new United (where the dignity piece is sometimes missing, too), an institutional legacy of elite recognition exists. A gate agent recently gave me a hand-written card when I flew on my birthday, thanking me for my loyalty on that special day. When would anyone ever have such a memorable experience with Amtrak by dint of being an AGR elite? @:-)
Old Jan 18, 2014, 11:49 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Executive, Hertz PC, National EE, IC Diamond Ambassador, ALL Gold, Hyatt Disc
A New Year and very little progress on this front thus far as far as I can tell. AGR and Amtrak seem to have a bit of separation to them in terms of the Rewards program and the travel experience. Hopefully something will change in the future, however devaluation is the new name of the game at many rewards programs out there now. Hopefully AGR retains the existing benefits that make the program great, while still looking at ways to improve the customer and "elite" member experience as well.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 2:05 pm

Programs: AGR Executive, UA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jackal
In reading some of the ideas posted in this thread, I thought it might be a good idea for us to have a consolidated place to suggest and discuss some ideas for AGR to improve the recognition of AGR elites. Perhaps once we flesh out some of these ideas, we can even have a little poll and rank them. My hope is that AGR Insider will read this thread and perhaps come away with something to take to the Amtrak Powers That Be to actually effect some improvement in this area (which will, hopefully, lead to improved loyalty among AGR members and thus higher revenue for Amtrak).

Anyway, I'll try to keep this first post updated with new ideas, but I'll start off with the ideas I combed from the post linked above as well as some of my previous ideas. I'll post the idea along with a "revenue impact" rating (how much it would "cost" Amtrak), a "logistical impact" rating (how difficult it would be to implement), and a "loyalty impact" rating (how much it would increase the likelihood of frequent travelers to choose Amtrak). Perhaps the ones that have a "low" revenue impact, a "low" logistical impact, and a "high" loyalty impact" can be implemented someday soon...and the other ones someday later.

Priority boarding (where feasible)
At major staffed stations, provide a separate boarding lane for elite members to access the platform. At smaller/unstaffed but busier stations, possibly have conductors and/or attendants call for elites to board first

Verbal recognition of elites by Amtrak staff (during announcements and personal interactions)
On-board announcements include "We'd like to thank our valuable Amtrak Guest Rewards Select members." Ticket agents and conductors verbally thank elite members for their loyalty/patronage during transactions (may need to include computers or the iPhone app more prominently displaying the customer's elite status for the employee to see)

Complimentary on-board beverage
Similar to American Airlines (or Alaska Airlines' "First One's On Us"). One (more?) free non-alchoholic (or alcoholic?) beverage. At wholesale prices, cost should be minimal

Complimentary on-board snacks
Similar to American Airlines. Complimentary item from cafe car?

Unlimited complimentary upgrades from coach to business class

Four annual upgrades to sleeper class
  • Revenue impact: high

Free same-day changes
  • Logistical impact: low to medium (depending on how implemented)

Rollover points
Similar to Delta and Marriott. Mentioned in thread linked at beginning of post

Lifetime status recognition
After ? lifetime Tier Qualifying Points, award ? status for life

Priority seating in diner
Lead attendant has manifest including status and proceeds to status passengers (including status passengers in coach? calls coach status passengers via PA?) first for dining reservations

Free day-checking of bags
At stations with checked baggage service, elites can day-check a bag at the checked luggage counter

Please feel free to post other ideas or discuss these ones!
Great suggestions ^^ especially the same day changes, upgrades and roll over points. Just skeptical whether it will happen during my lifetime! Keeping my fingers crossed.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 1:15 pm

I got an e-mail survey from Ipsos on behalf of AGR today. It asked several 0-10 scale questions about my familiarity of, and satisfaction with, various aspects of AGR and their member communications. The most intriguing set of questions was around these hypothetical benefits:

Again, on a scale of 0-10 where “10” means “excellent” and “0” means “poor”, rate the overall appeal of the following potential enhancements to the Amtrak Guest Rewards Program. (Select one for each statement)

Priority boarding for top/upper tier members
The removal of any blackout time of day and dates
The ability to modify or cancel trips without contacting customer service
The ability to redeem on the Amtrak mobile app
The ability to book travel using cash and points
These are exciting prospects, though I fear that the removal of blackout restrictions and the addition of cash and points could come in concert with another devaluation.

There was also a free-form section to solicit one's suggested improvements to AGR. Naturally, I suggested various iterations of many of the excellent ideas in this thread.

Props to AGR to seeking feedback from members. Let the speculation for the 2015 program begin!
Old Nov 7, 2014, 12:38 pm

FWIW, I just made an award booking, and for the first time ever the ticket shows my status next to the AGR number. A revenue booking I made just the other day did not have this. (Interestingly, the award ticket is for a family member, not me. But the status appears inherited anyway, much as with UA award tickets.) Baby steps! ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.