Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

Award policy changes re: cancellation and no on-board upgrades

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:22 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Executive, Hertz PC, National EE, IC Diamond Ambassador, ALL Gold, Hyatt Disc
I think a Select Plus exemption or more flexibility with Select Plus reservations in recognition for the elite status would be appropriate as that falls more in line with Airline policies as well. Amtrak is not an airline but that is the closest comparison I can think of.

I'm not a Select Plus member but it sounds fair to me. 15 days also is a bit restrictive. Make it pro-rated... like 7-14 day notice is a certain percentage and then less than 7 is something else. Something that at least recognizes the difference between those who cancel in advance and those who no-show.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 8:49 pm

Programs: AA(PPro), UA, AGR, BW(Plat), HH, WoH, MB(S)
The AGR website still lists the effective date for the change of the sleeper points refund policy as January 1, 2013. Maybe that should be changed given AGR Insider's posting here two weeks ago that the change has been postponed until March 1?
Old Dec 1, 2012, 8:07 pm
Company Representative - Amtrak

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (Select Executive)
Originally Posted by PHLviaUS
The AGR website still lists the effective date for the change of the sleeper points refund policy as January 1, 2013. Maybe that should be changed given AGR Insider's posting here two weeks ago that the change has been postponed until March 1?
You should see an updated news item on the Web site in about four or five days that reflects our earlier FlyerTalk posting. Thanks!
Old Dec 6, 2012, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by AGR Insider
You should see an updated news item on the Web site in about four or five days that reflects our earlier FlyerTalk posting. Thanks!
The site was updated yesterday. Thanks.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 8:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum

Oops, the e-statement that went out today still references the 1/1 policy change.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
Oops, the e-statement that went out today still references the 1/1 policy change.

Actually, the policy change in the e-statement is correct. We are extending the existing sleeper no-show policy to all redemption travel. If a customer does not call to cancel a redemption booking before departure, the points will not be reinstated. This change was previously communicated on FlyerTalk. (This is different from the 14-day sleeper policy which has been placed on hold.)

"Beginning January 1, our cancellation policy for redemption travel will change. Any new or existing redemption travel reservations must be canceled before departure to be eligible for exchange or refund of points."
Old Dec 11, 2012, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Thanks for clarifying. I shouldn't have posted pre-coffee!
Old Jan 15, 2013, 1:35 pm

We promised to follow up with you regarding our policy decision for cancellations of sleeping car redemption travel. We have carefully considered the various viewpoints and concerns raised, and will not be making any further changes to the policy at this time. Sleeping car redemption reservations may continue to be cancelled prior to departure for a full redeposit of points. Effective January 1, 2013, all Amtrak redemption travel (not just sleeping car) must be cancelled prior to departure in order for points to be returned.

Additionally, we will begin strictly enforcing the existing Amtrak policy prohibiting duplicate and impossible bookings. This policy remains in effect for all Amtrak travel.

As always, we appreciate your feedback and your business. Thank you for your continued membership in Amtrak Guest Rewards.

Sincerely,

Michael Blakey
Sr. Director, Loyalty & CRM

Vicky Radke
Program Director, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Old Jan 15, 2013, 2:04 pm

Programs: AA DL UR AGR
Sounds good to me. Thank you for listening to your customers and for reconsidering the potential repercussions from our perspective. Now, can we please update the website so I can book my sleeper and connecting tickets there without having to call-in to the reservations desk? TIA!
Old Jan 15, 2013, 3:28 pm

Programs: AGR
Great news!!! Thanks for taking the time to think this through and listen to your customer feedback.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:52 pm

Programs: AGR Select/Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum
Smile

Thanks for listening to your Best Customers! Common sense is in Short Supply in Washington, it looks like Amtrak and AGR do have some Executives with this rare Commodity!
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:15 pm
Original Poster

Great news, indeed. The AGR team should be lauded for listening and sensibly changing course based on feedback from members.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by jimhudson
Thanks for listening to your Best Customers! Common sense is in Short Supply in Washington, it looks like Amtrak and AGR do have some Executives with this rare Commodity!
Not to be negative (which means, of course, that I'm going to be negative), but if they had common sense all along they would not have proposed this policy in the first place. It's great that they saw the light, but sad that it took outsiders to point out how bad the proposed policy really was.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
There is such a thing as winning graciously. Tip o' the hat to Michael Blakey and Vicky Radke.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thumbs down

I will play devil's advocate.

If last-minute cancellations were becoming a drag on the economics/costs of AGR, and that issue was, in the end, not addressed, then I fear it will be addressed in the future in terms of a program devaluation that affects everyone.

I would much rather see a reasonable cancellation penalty/fee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.