Wiki Posts
Search

MSP-ABQ 1 zone or 2 Zone?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2012, 4:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat, DL plat
Smile MSP-ABQ 1 zone or 2 Zone?

I am new to Amtrak Reward program. I am based in MSP. I would like to redeem Amtrak Reward next year. I went through most posts here regarding MSP. I found there is only one route for MSP-ABQ is: MSP-PDX-LAX-ABQ. I have some questions regarding this route:

1. is it (MSP-ABQ) 1 zone reward or 2 zone reward? both MSP and ABQ are in central zone so this should be 1 zone reward. but the only valid route across two zones, MSP-PDX-LAX-ABQ. however, I could tell Amtrak agent that my goal is get to ABQ but Amtrak does not allow to do MSP-CHI-ABQ. I am a little bit confused on this. Anyone has exprience?

2. other than MSP-PDX-LAX-ABQ, can we also do MSP-SEA-LAX-ABQ? I do not know if it is valid route. but since I have a friend in SEA and I would like to be SEA if I could have a couple of spare hour in SEA to meet friends.

3. is there any other nice route recommended for MSP Amtrak traveller?

any suggestion is appreciated. Thanks.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 8:33 am

Programs: AGR
I wanted to go from ABQ to MSP via CHI, as a one zone trip, last July.The only option given on the website was ABQ-LAX-PDX-MSP, a two zone trip. I called AGR and after a long wait was granted the trip via CHI with the overnight in CHI at my cost.The connection was less than 24 hours and considered a transfer not a stopover which is over 24 hours.

Last edited by dicksboat; Oct 22, 2012 at 8:34 am Reason: italics added
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:53 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, BA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by dj1000
I am new to Amtrak Reward program.
Since you're new to the AGR program, it's probably worth underscoring that redemptions do not permit stopovers. There are big downsides to this rule both in the planning and operational stages of your trip.

To the best of my knowledge, in order to make the connection in L.A., the southbound routing from PDX - L.A. requires you to disembark the Coast Starlight in Sacramento and then travel down to L.A. on Thruway buses and the San Joaquin (i.e. from Stockton to Bakersfield). I would think that given this very tortuous routing that AGR could be talked into routing you MSP - ABQ via Chicago.

[btw, since the Empire Builder arrives Seattle at 10:25 am and the Coast Starlight leaves at 9:45 am, and given that a transfer at Portland OR is so much more convenient, I doubt very much that a redemption routing via Seattle is permissible.]
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:46 am

1) I'd say there was a 90% chance of a 2-zone charge. In my experience I've been quoted 1-zone, 2-zone, and 3-zone charges for trips like the one you want.

First, though, you'd have to find an agent willing to book the trip at all, as it doesn't appear when you enter MSP and ABQ. Many, perhaps most agents aren't willing to book anything they don't see in their system, even though PDX-LAX-ABQ does appear, as does MSP-PDX-LAX.

The reverse is no trouble to book (and I've actually taken that trip).

2) I'd say you have less than a 5% chance chance of book the trip via Seattle, since you'd have to stay overnight in Seattle. Note, though that dicksboat was able to book an overnight stay, so it (like most things in AGR) is sometimes possible.

AGR agents will tell you what the rules are for long-distance AGR awards, but they don't always agree, and the rules aren't published anywhere I know of. Since any rules (if they exist) are subject to change without notice, it's hard to make any hard-and-fast claims for what's allowed and what isn't.

This might seem to make AGR a bad awards program, but given the lack of capacity controls, and the relative ease at earning AGR points, I think quite the reverse.

FWIW, I'd rather go ABQ-LAX-PDX-MSP. You ride the Coast Starlight rather than the San Joaquin and a bus. Plus, if I have to fly one way, I'd rather get that over with first.

Last edited by Ispolkom; Oct 24, 2012 at 10:47 am Reason: typo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.