Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Getting the most of out our trip

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2012, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
Thanks - according to Amtrak.com the base fare is the same as we have currently paid so we just need to decide whether it's worth the $109 pp to upgrade to F.

Seems a lot to me for a relatively short trip but I'll let my wife decide.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 1:48 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by MadProfessor
Thanks - according to Amtrak.com the base fare is the same as we have currently paid so we just need to decide whether it's worth the $109 pp to upgrade to F.

Seems a lot to me for a relatively short trip but I'll let my wife decide.
$109 does sound high for WAS - NYP. I think BOS - PHL is only like $109 and BOS - NYP is something like $74 for the FC accomodation charge?
Old Aug 9, 2012, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by amamba
$109 does sound high for WAS - NYP. I think BOS - PHL is only like $109 and BOS - NYP is something like $74 for the FC accomodation charge?
Fares buckets on NYP-WAS are all higher than on NYP-BOS, so it makes sense that the FC accomodation charge would also be, no?
Old Aug 9, 2012, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by nerd
Fares buckets on NYP-WAS are all higher than on NYP-BOS, so it makes sense that the FC accomodation charge would also be, no?
Excellent point - you are right!
Old Aug 9, 2012, 7:11 pm
Original Poster

If we were to change the tickets to first class, do we need to go to an Amtrak station or can it be done online or over the phone.

If it is an Amtrak station can it be any station at all?
Old Aug 9, 2012, 7:29 pm

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
Originally Posted by CKinMD
- This isn't a tip per se, but just a general thought. I travel Acela First quite often and don't see very many babies. If your trip is during the week, there will be a lot of business people talking way to loudly on cell phones and interupting your pleasure trip , some sitting in groups looking over papers and trying loudly boast how many shares of facebook they shorted 2 weeks ago, while pretending to get work done. There is a chance you[st]'ll [/st] should [st]get some[/st] stares and possibly give themsome dirty looks while "shhhsh-ing them, andif your baby happens to cry loudly dont worry it isnt a problem. !

Ah...fixed that post!
Old Aug 10, 2012, 7:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PhillyPhlyer40
Ah...fixed that post!
a]

Thanks - that made me chuckle.

Our trip yesterday was a little like that. We were by far the quietest folk on the train. There was snoring fat man. Shout in to the phone when your reception goes because that'll work man. And I'm just so important I must tell everybody my business man.

However, it's a train. It's a public space. We should all deal with it and that cuts both ways. If our baby cries we will do our utmost to stop it if only because we don't want him to be unhappy.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 10:27 am

If we were to change the tickets to first class, do we need to go to an Amtrak station or can it be done online or over the phone.

If it is an Amtrak station can it be any station at all?
It can only be done online if you booked the tickets online to begin with.

You can do it over the phone or at any amtrak station. You can also do it at the club acela.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 10:38 am

Programs: Ozark Go-Getters Gold, Statler Star Silver, others from a variety of alternate timelines
Originally Posted by amamba
You can do it over the phone or at any amtrak station.
Any Amtrak station that has a ticket agent on duty, that is.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Just had an email from Amtrak saying that due to us no-showing they have issued an e-voucher and have cancelled the rest of our onward train tickets.

First, we were on the train and so I don't know how this has happened.

Second, we really need those onward travel and are now stuck in Shenandoah National Park with no phone and wireless access only in the resort lobby.

What should we do?
Old Aug 12, 2012, 12:35 pm

Just had an email from Amtrak saying that due to us no-showing they have issued an e-voucher and have cancelled the rest of our onward train tickets.

Second, we really need those onward travel and are now stuck in Shenandoah National Park with no phone and wireless access only in the resort lobby.

What should we do?
This is an unintended consequence of the e-ticketing program. Apparently if your ticket doesn't get scanned on the train, then it cancels all of the future segments. You were obviously on the train, so that is problematic.

Call 1800 USA RAIL and tell them what happens. they should reinstate the tickets for you.
EDIT: I see that you are in the park with no phone - the hotel/resort must have a phone that you could use for this purpose. I worked many years in Yellowstone national park and we would have helped a guest with an issue like this.

Last edited by amamba; Aug 12, 2012 at 12:36 pm Reason: to add info
Old Aug 12, 2012, 12:35 pm

Programs: BA GfL

What should we do?
Call Amtrak pronto. There will be a phone somewhere, and they have a toll-free number: 1-800-USA-RAIL.

Argue the hell out of this, and escalate it to as many supervisors as necessary. Don't let them off the phone until you get satisfaction. The new e-ticket system has just come into existence in the last two weeks, and there have been glitches/unexpected consequences aplenty. I'm sure there have been dozens of situations like yours.

Was your ticket scanned by a conductor when you were on the train?
Old Aug 12, 2012, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by travelmad478
Was your ticket scanned by a conductor when you were on the train?
I can't remember whether he actually scanned our tickets (or both of our tickets) but I saw him scanning tickets in the cabin and ours were on our seats where the attendant put them.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Definitely need to contact Amtrak as soon as possible. Since you obviously have internet service I see two choices:

1. If your next trip is not for a few days, you can try using the Amtrak website to send them a message.

2. Install Skype or other VoIP service with soft-phone software and give them a call that way. Most services offer free access to make toll-free calls.

Also, I'm presuming all your travel is under a single reservation. If not, then you may still be booked. I would not be surprised if they are using canned verbiage on the eMail that might not apply in all cases. Check online to see if your onward travel is still listed.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. I'll try Skype or something. Although we only have wireless in the public areas.

Checking my reservation online just produces an error message.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.