Wiki Posts
Search

CA Zephyr or SW Chief and Starlight

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2012, 7:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Gold , National Emerald Exec, Hertz Presidents, Delta Gold
CA Zephyr or SW Chief and Starlight

Going from Ann Arbor to San Francisco in July. With 6 other family members.

Currently have booked 3 bedrooms taking the SW Chief and Starlight from LA to SFO.

After reading that the Zephyr has great scenery, was wondering whether to try to get the award reservation (made before April 1 ) switched to the Zephyr.

My original thought was the Starlight would be fun to experience.

But now the scenery and the earlier arrival time into San Francisco by going directly are having me reconsider.

Just curious what input I'd get here to help with the decision.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You won't be able to switch and keep the pre-April-1 points rate. You'll have to cancel and then re-book at the newer higher rate.

I have taken the Zephyr twice, never the SWC/Starlight. The ocean-front scenery in SoCal is supposed to be beautiful, but with the added travel time I don't see how that makes up for the relatively dull (or so I've heard) scenery on the SWC versus what you get through the Rockies/Utah/Sierras.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I've done the SWC, Zephyr, and Coast Starlight. The Chief has great scenery during daylight hours out of La Junta, CO to Gallup, NM. The Coast Starlight route spends little time in view of the ocean - although the coastal hills ~Santa Barbara to San Jose are pleasant. Whether that compensates for added travel time is up to you. I don't know that I would see either routing as clearly superior, causing me to refund three rooms at old rates for three rooms at new redemption rates.

Last edited by 3Cforme; Apr 7, 2012 at 4:36 pm
Old Apr 7, 2012, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nerd
You won't be able to switch and keep the pre-April-1 points rate. You'll have to cancel and then re-book at the newer higher rate.

I have taken the Zephyr twice, never the SWC/Starlight. The ocean-front scenery in SoCal is supposed to be beautiful, but with the added travel time I don't see how that makes up for the relatively dull (or so I've heard) scenery on the SWC versus what you get through the Rockies/Utah/Sierras.
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
I've done the SWC, Zephyr, and Coast Starlight. The Chief has great scenery during daylight hours out of La Junta, CO to Gallup, NM. The Coast Starlight route spends little time in view of the ocean - although the coastal hills ~Santa Barbara to San Jose are pleasant. Whether than compensates for added travel time is up to you. I don't know that I would see either routing as clearly superior, causing me to refund three rooms at old rates for three rooms at new redemption rates.
Thanks for the feedback.

If I can't just switch and would be forced to cancel and rebook, I'll have 30,000 points "saved" to do the Zephyr later.

So, an easy decision with not being able to switch.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Bikeguy
I'll have 30,000 points "saved" to do the Zephyr later.
That's a great way to think about it. If you're willing to fly, then train, start the Zephyr in Denver westbound - and that way you have a nice One Zone ticket..

Last edited by 3Cforme; Apr 7, 2012 at 7:17 pm
Old Apr 8, 2012, 2:37 pm

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by Bikeguy
Going from Ann Arbor to San Francisco in July. With 6 other family members.

Currently have booked 3 bedrooms taking the SW Chief and Starlight from LA to SFO.
Part of the routing on the SW Chief is considered endangered mileage because there is no freight traffic over Raton Pass in NM and there are many who think it'll be eventually rerouted.

I'd take it this time, and do the Zephyr trip at some other time.

Bob H
Old Apr 8, 2012, 6:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BobH
Part of the routing on the SW Chief is considered endangered mileage because there is no freight traffic over Raton Pass in NM and there are many who think it'll be eventually rerouted.

I'd take it this time, and do the Zephyr trip at some other time.

Bob H
I'm glad this got mentioned at the Ann Arbor Art Fair DO. Something I'd never looked into. And with booking it before the increase, it is actually less miles than OW awards for everyone (at least the 5 people I used my Ultimate Rewards points for). Getting United OWs back, SFO-DTW. 7 people on the same flights. With the award availability now, I can only guess it was a system screw-up on United's part right after the merger, where all CO was available at the low level.

And next Saturday, I see if one of us "won" the Half Dome lottery to hike the trail in Yosemite. I'll be surprised if one of us didn't. Should be a great vacation.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 7:56 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
While I think of it, to/from Ann Arbor you can no longer check baggage, so you'll have to carry it on.

Also, from Ann Arbor to Chicago, I always like to sit on the north side of the train to see Lake Mi.

Bob H
Old Apr 9, 2012, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BobH
While I think of it, to/from Ann Arbor you can no longer check baggage, so you'll have to carry it on.

Also, from Ann Arbor to Chicago, I always like to sit on the north side of the train to see Lake Mi.

Bob H
Thanks for the tips.

We made our first trip on Amtrak from Chicago to Ann Arbor this past Christmas.

When I asked the family if they wanted to fly or take the train to San Francisco, everyone (wife and 3 kids) said take the train.

I didn't expect it to be unanimous.

So, I'm looking forward to a long distance train ride and sight seeing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.