Wiki Posts
Search

10-ride tickets can someone explain?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2012, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
10-ride tickets can someone explain?

Can someone explain use of the 10-ride tickets?

I *assume* it's valid for travel both directions between a city-pair but I can't find this stated. Thus a 10-ride is 5 round-trips for most purposes.

It says it's transferable, but I'm not clear how this works.

Example I want to take myself, spouse and Junior back and forth a couple of times in the next 45 days. This is a simple hop of DAV<->SAC on the Capitol Corridor. Can I use the 10-ride for all 3 of us traveling together? When I am "short" one direction, could I buy a one-way just for Junior at the half-price rate even though I am not booking at that time an accompanying adult?

Can I hand the 10-ride to my spouse travel with Junior without me?

Does each passenger get their AGR points or does it all go to the purchaser?

Last edited by ElPresidente; Mar 6, 2012 at 4:41 pm
Old Mar 6, 2012, 4:40 pm

Programs: AGR, PC, HH no status as I stopped paying for travel
more info

Originally Posted by ElPresidente

I *assume* it's valid for travel both directions between a city-pair but I can't find this stated. Thus a 10-ride is 5 round-trips for most purposes.

Example I want to take myself, spouse and Junior back and forth a couple of times in the next 45 days. Can I use the 10-ride for all 3 of us traveling together? When I am "short" one direction, could I buy a one-way just for Junior at the half-price rate even though I am not booking at that time an accompanying adult?

10 ride tickets are not always transferable it depends on the route.

# Ten-ride tickets are non-transferable on the following routes: Northeast Regional, Keystone, Empire service, Downeaster, Hiawatha, Michigan service and Illinois service.
# Ten-ride tickets are transferable on the following routes: Heartland Flyer, Capitol Corridor, San Joaquin and Pacific Surfliner.
# On the Amtrak Cascades route, ten-ride tickets are transferable on the Oregon state portion only; ten-ride tickets are non-transferable on the Washington state portion of the route.

so which route are we talking?
Old Mar 6, 2012, 8:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by darben
so which route are we talking?
Simplest would be DAV<->SAC on Capitol Corridor, so it's not excluded.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 2:55 pm

Just to chime in on one aspect of the question... yes, ten-rides are valid in either direction between the named points.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 9:42 am

Programs: Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by ElPresidente

Example I want to take myself, spouse and Junior back and forth a couple of times in the next 45 days. This is a simple hop of DAV<->SAC on the Capitol Corridor. Can I use the 10-ride for all 3 of us traveling together? When I am "short" one direction, could I buy a one-way just for Junior at the half-price rate even though I am not booking at that time an accompanying adult?

Does each passenger get their AGR points or does it all go to the purchaser?
The 10 ride ticket is literally ten rides - it's numbered 1-10 on the ticket and each ride is punched out as it's used - so you're correct, one 10 ride ticket is good for five round trips.

All the AGR points go to the purchaser, and note that it's only two points per dollar (same as the monthly pass), not 100 points per ride.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 1:24 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by afsheen
The 10 ride ticket is literally ten rides - it's numbered 1-10 on the ticket and each ride is punched out as it's used - so you're correct, one 10 ride ticket is good for five round trips.

All the AGR points go to the purchaser, and note that it's only two points per dollar (same as the monthly pass), not 100 points per ride.
Just to add to what afsheen ()said, you also don't get the points until after all 10 rides have been punched and the final ticket is collected. Same thing with the monthly pass - you don't get any of the points until the conductor pulls your ticket at the end of the month and the points are then processed at 2 points per dollar spent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.