Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

Help me understand the AGR redemption increase

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help me understand the AGR redemption increase

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2012, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, WN, BA, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by fairviewroad
Um, could you clarify this? Because the last I checked, AGR redemptions are zone-based, not segment based. And I don't think that's changing under the new point redemption levels. That would be a huge, huge change.
When you try to book a AGR reward with points, the only options for your trip will be a single segment train. So if I want to go NYP - CHI, the only options that will show up will be the Cardinal and Lake Shore Limited. If you wanted to take a regional to DC or try to connect in Pittsburgh, you would have to pay for the 2 trains separately.

Try it out, its been around before the redemption increase. The same applies if a bus is part of the itinerary.

EDIT: Per posts 17 and 18, I am flat out wrong. I didn't realize that multi-leg trips can be booked by phone for the same zone pricing. I typically redeem for 1 train redemptions (Adirondack and NER), so never had to use that feature before. Apologizes on the misinformation.

Last edited by littlemookie; Jan 18, 2012 at 10:22 am Reason: I am wrong!
Old Jan 17, 2012, 7:32 pm

Programs: AA(PPro), UA, AGR, BW(Plat), HH, WoH, MB(S)
Originally Posted by littlemookie
When you try to book a AGR reward with points, the only options for your trip will be a single segment train. So if I want to go NYP - CHI, the only options that will show up will be the Cardinal and Lake Shore Limited. If you wanted to take a regional to DC or try to connect in Pittsburgh, you would have to pay for the 2 trains separately.

Try it out, its been around before the redemption increase. The same applies if a bus is part of the itinerary.
You are confusing what you can book online with what you can book. AGR online bookings are limited to one segment, no sleeper. But, if you call AGR, you can book multiple segments for the same single zone value. The trip from NYP to CHI is the same cost in points whether you use one train or two trains with a connection. You can book the one train options on-line. The connections have to be booked by phone.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 8:50 am

Programs: Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by littlemookie

Yeah, this is just wrong.

You can absolutely book connecting trains with AGR, and the points required are still just the zones required. You just have to call and cannot book it online.
Last year I went PVD - NYP - CHI - LAX - SEA on one, 3 zone award.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 10:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, WN, BA, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Yup, I'm wrong. I edited Post 16 above with a apology. I was misinformed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.