Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

Searching for best deal on train 2/25 from Orlando to Providence

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2011, 9:00 am
Original Poster

We have never been on a train before and thought this would be a great way to finish off a trip. We joined the Amtrak program. Now what? How do we get the best deal? We are AAA members as well. Thanks so much!!
Old Oct 20, 2011, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Welcome to FT!

For the portion of the trip between Orlando and NYC, do you want to travel in a sleeper or in a regular Coach seat? Also, do you have any frequent-flyer miles with either United or Continental? (They can be converted to AGR points, and redeemed for train travel.)
Old Oct 20, 2011, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

TY

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Welcome to FT!

For the portion of the trip between Orlando and NYC, do you want to travel in a sleeper or in a regular Coach seat? Also, do you have any frequent-flyer miles with either United or Continental? (They can be converted to AGR points, and redeemed for train travel.)
Well, we don't have frequent flyer miles as we only travel about once a year. And we were thinking just coach seats, but if the price was right we would go with a sleeper since we'll have 2 x 9 year olds and a 6 year old.

We are VERY new to the train idea!
Old Oct 20, 2011, 12:57 pm

Programs: AGR, PC, HH no status as I stopped paying for travel
Originally Posted by Tink1769
Well, we don't have frequent flyer miles as we only travel about once a year. And we were thinking just coach seats, but if the price was right we would go with a sleeper since we'll have 2 x 9 year olds and a 6 year old.

We are VERY new to the train idea!

If your credit is goood get a Continental Airlines CC NOW!

Transfer the 30,000 points for getting the card to Amtrak

Then book a sleeper bedroom for free using points.
This will include all meals.
do not delay the Amtrak - Continental affiliation may end soon but not before end of the year. Once you transfer points they will be safe with Amtrak even if the partnership ends.

Ifd you do not want to go this route then book your trip today. For many reasons this is the best course. Be aware that until you print the tickets the fare is fully refundable. Amtrak works on a bucket system and once the seats at a particular price are sold then the fare goes UP to the next bucket.

Once you have a reservation should a special come along then you can book the special fare if lower.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think there may be better credit-card offers that can be converted to AGR points than the Continental 30K offer; I would look at both the United credit-card offers, and the Chase Sapphire Preferred card offers. Both UA miles and Chase Sapphire points can be transferred to Continental's program, and then converted to AGR points.

But there are a few other issues:

1. If there are a total of five people in the OP's party (two adults/three children), then a single sleeper redemption will not be sufficient;

2. I would check AGR's 2012 redemption blackout dates to make sure that they don't conflict with the OP's travel dates; and

3. Even if there is space available today on non-blackout days, there is no assurance that space will be available when credit-card bonus points/miles are ultimately posted (and subsequently converted to AGR points in the OP's account).
Old Oct 20, 2011, 1:58 pm

I think there may be better credit-card offers that can be converted to AGR points than the Continental 30K offer; I would look at both the United credit-card offers, and the Chase Sapphire Preferred card offers. Both UA miles and Chase Sapphire points can be transferred to Continental's program, and then converted to AGR points.

But there are a few other issues:

1. If there are a total of five people in the OP's party (two adults/three children), then a single sleeper redemption will not be sufficient;

2. I would check AGR's 2012 redemption blackout dates to make sure that they don't conflict with the OP's travel dates; and

3. Even if there is space available today on non-blackout days, there is no assurance that space will be available when credit-card bonus points/miles are ultimately posted (and subsequently converted to AGR points in the OP's account).
If you reserve today then there will be room when the points go through.
Cancel paid booking as you are on the phone booking award.

The reason I chose Continental is time is of the essence here. While there may be better offers the affiliation could end at the first of the year. Therefore I believe in taking the points and running.
There have been previous threads were AGR has made exceptions for families with more than 2 children very small children which is what we have here.
Worst comes to worse a paid coach ticket for one
2 roomettes is also a possibility still only 30,000 points.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"There have been previous threads were AGR has made exceptions for families with more than 2 children very small children which is what we have here."

I was under the impression that that exception only applied to infants/toddlers who were too young to require a ticket. No?
Old Oct 20, 2011, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Also, I don't think that there are Family Bedrooms offered on the Florida routes, as Superliners can't operate into NYP.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 3:10 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Also, I don't think that there are Family Bedrooms offered on the Florida routes, as Superliners can't operate into NYP.
That is correct, Viewliners only have roomettes, bedrooms, and accessible rooms. So, the above conversation pertains to bedrooms.

Bedrooms (including on Viewliner) have an official maximum capacity in the sleeping configuration for parties including children as follows: Two adults and two children, or one adult and three children, or four children. But officially, two adults and three children is not allowed. However, you could get two roomettes and split the party accordingly.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
Bedrooms (including on Viewliner) have an official maximum capacity in the sleeping configuration for parties including children as follows: Two adults and two children, or one adult and three children, or four children. But officially, two adults and three children is not allowed. However, you could get two roomettes and split the party accordingly.
Are you sure that's correct (bolding mine)? I am pretty sure it's only 1 child:

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/Conten...=1241267361982
Old Oct 20, 2011, 4:30 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by nerd
Are you sure that's correct (bolding mine)? I am pretty sure it's only 1 child:

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/Conten...=1241267361982
I'm citing internal Amtrak policy from their Service Standards manual, p.p. 469-471. The publicly stated room capacities are much less detailed, and there are in fact different limits and allowable combinations depending on day or night configuration.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 7:12 pm

Check PM

TINK1769
See your PM
Old Oct 20, 2011, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
I'm citing internal Amtrak policy from their Service Standards manual, p.p. 469-471. The publicly stated room capacities are much less detailed, and there are in fact different limits and allowable combinations depending on day or night configuration.
Good to know. So to get 2 and 2 I guess you have to book it over the phone (can't put that combination in a bedroom when booking online)?
Old Oct 20, 2011, 10:35 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: HH Diamond, Amtrak Exec
Originally Posted by nerd
Good to know. So to get 2 and 2 I guess you have to book it over the phone (can't put that combination in a bedroom when booking online)?
Yes, it can only be done with a live agent, meaning either by phone or at a station. They have to warn you that it is not recommended and that things will be very cramped if you do this.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 10:45 am

TINK1869
Please see your PM

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.