Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

Philly, 30th St to Baltimore Penn - Acela or Regional?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2011, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta GM, *G, BA Blue, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver, LHW

Amtrak noob here; traveling with a colleague from downtown Philly to downtown Baltimore. A couple of questions about the trip:

How terrible is the regional service ($43) vs. the Acela ($83)? The Acela only appears to be 10 minutes faster. What other benefits besides WiFi does it provide?

Price isn't too much of an issue, but I do travel reasonably for work.

Do tickets become more expensive as the trip approaches / do they ever sell out?

Overall, what's the best choice for a 6-7p departure between the two cities?
Old Aug 19, 2011, 12:46 pm

Programs: AA-EP, SPG-Plat, MR-Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by 318i
How terrible is the regional service ($43) vs. the Acela ($83)? The Acela only appears to be 10 minutes faster. What other benefits besides WiFi does it provide?
None. It's a more modern train though... cool if you have never been on Acela before. That and the on-time performace can be better on Acela.

Do tickets become more expensive as the trip approaches / do they ever sell out?
Yes and Yes.

Overall, what's the best choice for a 6-7p departure between the two cities?
Are you talking weekday? Then it looks like there is a 6:07 (75% on time in July) Acela departure and regionals at 6:08 (45% on time in July) and 7:00 (70% on time in july)
Old Aug 19, 2011, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
You can make and pay for the reservation online, and as long as you don't print the ticket out, could cancel the reservation for a full refund. If you are going to use the reservation, you can print the ticket at a kiosk in the train station.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 1:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, United Silver
Some additional information:

1) For most "regular" (e.g., no auto train, sleeper etc.) tickets, which I think includes all Philadelphia - Baltimore trains, tickets are fully refundable even after date of travel has passed.

2) Wifi on Acela in my opinion is very shabby. I would personally not let that feature alone sway the decision.

3) At peak business hours, Regional is less crowded in my experience. Thus providing an ironically more comfortable experience at a lower price.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 3:28 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
For that short a distance and at basically half the price, I'd go with the Regional. It's a quick ride and the Quiet Car is very nice.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 10:04 pm

Programs: Enough to travel better
If you are picky about points and price, then save your money for the Acela on a longer, city pair trip, which will give you more points. Go with the NE Regional because it's less expensive. Of course, if you just gotta get there and pressed for time then take the first train available.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 7:53 am

Programs: UA S/AGR S+/MR G/SW CP/AA Plat
I do that trip somewhat frequently - if work pays for it then I take the Acela. If it is out of my own pocket then I take the Regional.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.