Community
Wiki Posts
Search

California Zepher Train 6

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2011, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 2 million lifetime Marriott Titanium LiCo Plat Hertz Plat spg plat former Co Chairmans Circle
California Zepher Train 6

So I was thinking about take train 6 from the west coast to Chicago. The other only long distance train that i Have taken was train 91 to Miami.

Does anyone know if the service is any better out West. The Miami train really didn't have a lounge car, just a midified cafe car that they use on the NE corrider. I was hoping for a real lounge or maybe dome car. I have a sleeper suite

Also is the food any better out West? The dining car food was microwaved as the conductor said because of high union costs thay removed one chef..is this true

If there is anything else someone can enlighten me about on this train, I would appreciate it...
Old Jul 3, 2011, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The CA Zephyr will have a lounge car:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superliner_%28railcar%29
Old Jul 3, 2011, 7:10 pm

The Zephyr goes through some of the most scenic country in the U.S......at least West of Denver......be sure and get a seat in the observation car early!
Old Jul 3, 2011, 9:37 pm

Programs: AGR, PC, HH no status as I stopped paying for travel
Originally Posted by hvnflyer
So I was thinking about take train 6 from the west coast to Chicago. The other only long distance train that i Have taken was train 91 to Miami.

Does anyone know if the service is any better out West. The Miami train really didn't have a lounge car, just a midified cafe car that they use on the NE corrider. I was hoping for a real lounge or maybe dome car. I have a sleeper suite

Also is the food any better out West? The dining car food was microwaved as the conductor said because of high union costs thay removed one chef..is this true

If there is anything else someone can enlighten me about on this train, I would appreciate it...

The difference will amaze you
Old Jul 4, 2011, 4:18 am

Programs: WN, F9, DL
you will have a lounge car. Full glass wrap around windows. Your meals are included in the price of your sleeper ticket. Scenery is not to be missed...you will want to have lots of pixels available.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 2 million lifetime Marriott Titanium LiCo Plat Hertz Plat spg plat former Co Chairmans Circle
thanks everyone, I am excited
Old Jul 9, 2011, 3:43 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Be prepared - the train is always late. I guess if you are going from CA to Chicago and taking that much time, it won't matter to you.

But yesterday, we decided to take our two grandsons and their parents on the ride from Sacramento to Reno. The train is scheduled to depart Emeryville at 9:10 am and Sacramento at 11:09 am. At 9 am they posted that the train was delayed until 10:30 - so we headed over to the train station a bit later than planned. AT 10;30 they announced another half hour delay and then at 11 they announced another 45 minute delay and at 11;45 they announced yet another 20 minute delay and finally another 20 minute delay.

We sat in a very hot and uncomfortable train station in Sacramento for 3 hours from 11:15 am until 2:20 pm when the train finally arrived. It was a 5 hour scheduled trip but the train kept stopping and crept along, making it a 6 hour trip, arriving in Reno 4 hours late at 8:15 pm. We had planned dinner and activities for the evening that of course had to be cancelled.

We had purchased roundtrip tickets but with everyone in agreement, we decided to rent a car and drive back.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 12:14 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, BA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by JerryFF
The train is scheduled to depart Emeryville at 9:10 am and Sacramento at 11:09 am. At 9 am they posted that the train was delayed until 10:30 - so we headed over to the train station a bit later than planned. AT 10;30 they announced another half hour delay and then at 11 they announced another 45 minute delay and at 11;45 they announced yet another 20 minute delay and finally another 20 minute delay.
I would imagine that a 3.5 hour delay from Emeryville, its starting point, would have been much discussed during your journey. Did you ever find out what the issue was? And do you know whether the passengers initiating from Emeryville were boarded before the delays began?
Old Jul 11, 2011, 9:32 am
Original Poster

wow that is late. I am flying from Chicago and I only gave myself 5 hours to make it. Does this train always run so late. I am used to the trains in teh North East corridor which are usually close to on time
Old Jul 14, 2011, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by jbalmuth
I would imagine that a 3.5 hour delay from Emeryville, its starting point, would have been much discussed during your journey. Did you ever find out what the issue was? And do you know whether the passengers initiating from Emeryville were boarded before the delays began?
They told us it was a mechanical delay. What was really frustrating is that if they had told us what the extent of the delay would be from the start, we could have stayed in our air conditioned hotel until at least noon or later instead of sitting in the hot train station in Sacramento. We were then held up several times - once because the switches weren't working right and had to be changed by hand (!) and then because we got stuck behind a freight train that was running 20 mph.

Having taken many trains in Europe and Asia, my only comment is that Amtrak is a national disgrace. I don't usually flame companies, but this is truly amazing. People were repeatedly commenting about how traveling on Amtrak is like visiting a 3rd world country.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 7:40 pm

Amtrak has been the whipping boy of better-connected private industries. Abuse victims often fail to perform as desired.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by hvnflyer
wow that is late. I am flying from Chicago and I only gave myself 5 hours to make it. Does this train always run so late. I am used to the trains in teh North East corridor which are usually close to on time
At least 50% of the time going east and 100% of the time going west. Just go to the Amtrak website and check "Status". If you are concerned about your flight connection, I would go a day early.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.