Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amtrak AGR Upgrade Voucher Compendium

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2012, 9:19 pm

Programs: DL DM/ 2MM, BA Silver, Amtrak Select Executive, SPG Life Plat/Amb, Fairmont Preferred
Great thread and very helpful.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 12:36 pm

Programs: AGR Select
Originally Posted by Rover75
I once tried to do a two segment through fare upgrade by phone and my reservation was completely mangled (repriced in a non-sensical fashion) by an Amtrak reservations agent. In addition, only one of the two segments was actually upgraded. While I managed to get this fixed at the station, I have learned to NEVER attempt this two segment upgrade for a through fare itinerary with anyone other than an experienced agent in Washington or Boston.
Do you go to the ticket window, or to the agents in the ClubAcela?
Old Mar 7, 2012, 6:34 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
A few days ago I ordered my packet of five upgrade coupons for 10,000 points. They arrived today. They are the usual 12-hour variety, and have an expiration date of MARCH 31, 2013. That's right, MARCH. Thirteen months validity ^ The coupons that came with the S+ packet expire February 28, 2013.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 7:40 am

Programs: UA Gold Premier, AA Life Platinum 3MM, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
gatelouse asks: "Can exchangeable tickets (e.g. 14-day NEC fares) that can't be upgraded at time of booking be upgraded with a coupon?"

I am not sure what qualifies as an "exchangeable" ticket, but I can assure you that I have tried and consistently failed to be able to use an upgrade coupon to upgrade any Acela ticket that is discounted (e.g., AAA fare on the weekend or a discounted non-refundable 14 day advance purchase). The argument offered is that the advance purchase requirement (three days and 14 days respectively) precludes the reissuance of the ticket within either a 48 or 12 hour window prior to travel.

Last edited by Rover75; Mar 8, 2012 at 7:54 am
Old Mar 8, 2012, 7:53 am

Programs: UA Gold Premier, AA Life Platinum 3MM, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
notacolour asks: "Do you go to the ticket window, or to the agents in the ClubAcela [to do a two segment upgrade with a single upgrade coupon]?"

I have been consistently successful using the Club Acela in DC and various ticket agents at the Route 128 Boston station. These are the only places I do my two segment upgrades. (Ten years ago I had a very rude and bitter experience at Boston South Station with an agent who would not allow me to redeem an award ticket for my aging-- now deceased-- father, despite the fact that he had the same name as mine, unless I produced him and his ID in person at the station. I have not had any contact with an Amtrak ticket agent at South Station since then.)
Old Mar 13, 2012, 8:20 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: HH Diamond, Amtrak Exec
Originally Posted by Rover75
gatelouse asks: "Can exchangeable tickets (e.g. 14-day NEC fares) that can't be upgraded at time of booking be upgraded with a coupon?"

I am not sure what qualifies as an "exchangeable" ticket, but I can assure you that I have tried and consistently failed to be able to use an upgrade coupon to upgrade any Acela ticket that is discounted (e.g., AAA fare on the weekend or a discounted non-refundable 14 day advance purchase). The argument offered is that the advance purchase requirement (three days and 14 days respectively) precludes the reissuance of the ticket within either a 48 or 12 hour window prior to travel.
That's nonsense!

Yes, you cannot use any discount when you also wish to use a free upgrade coupon. But there is simply no reason that the agent cannot cancel out the existing reservation and credit your card back for that and then start a new reservation for you. Yes, you do run the risk that the bucket is now higher than it was at the time of booking, but if you're willing to pay that or lucky enough that the bucket wasn't kicked, then there is no reason that you cannot use that coupon.

That said, it's best to try an plan ahead and simply book a non-discounted fare if you're considering using a coupon.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 2:23 pm
Company Representative - Amtrak

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (Select Executive)
Upgrade coupons are combinable with 14 day advance fare on Northeast Regional

You are permitted to use your upgrade coupon with the 14-day advance fares on the Northeast Regional. Upgrade coupons are not combinable with discounts, but these are "fares" not "discounts" and therefore you may apply your upgrade coupon. There is no 14-day advance fare available on Acela.

Vicky Radke
Amtrak Guest Rewards
Old Mar 29, 2012, 7:57 am

Programs: Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by wxguy
A few days ago I ordered my packet of five upgrade coupons for 10,000 points. They arrived today. They are the usual 12-hour variety, and have an expiration date of MARCH 31, 2013. That's right, MARCH. Thirteen months validity ^ The coupons that came with the S+ packet expire February 28, 2013.
Actually the S coupons this year also have an expiration date of March 31, 2013. I wonder why they did that? But that is great news that the ones you ordered were the same as well.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 5:58 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
They are providing F e-tickets without requiring the physical coupon. Doesn't make business sense. Should go to e-coupons next year, if they have the capability.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AGR Insider
You are permitted to use your upgrade coupon with the 14-day advance fares on the Northeast Regional. Upgrade coupons are not combinable with discounts, but these are "fares" not "discounts" and therefore you may apply your upgrade coupon. There is no 14-day advance fare available on Acela.

Vicky Radke
Amtrak Guest Rewards
Vicky - I was just denied twice over the phone to try to use an upgrade certificate (H121) on an advance purchase fare ($49). When I booked it, I wasn't given an option to buy up to an upgradeable fare.

I just posted in this thread - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amtra...low-fares.html - as I didn't pay attention to this sticky.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 7:09 am

Programs: AA(PPro), UA, AGR, BW(Plat), HH, WoH, MB(S)
From the Terms and Conditions for the 14-day fare:

Terms & Conditions

- Non-upgradeable. Fare is valid for class of service listed only.
"Non-upgradable" seems pretty clear. If that does not include a coupon upgrade, the clause should be reworded and the agents informed.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Agreed. They should also have an option to book an upgradable fare.

That said, hoping AGR Insider can clarify because her comments are very different than what you posted and what agents say over the phone - but aligned with the agents actions at NYP when they upgraded me today (as they've done every time I've tried with the H121 cents on this $49 fare)
Old Sep 7, 2012, 10:25 am
Company Representative - Amtrak

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (Select Executive)
Hi All,

Thank you for alerting us to this issue with your Amtrak Guest Rewards upgrade coupons and the 14 day advanced purchase ($49) fare. There has been no change in policy and Amtrak Guest Rewards coupons are compatible and can be used with the 14 day advanced purchase fare on the Northeast Regional. We are working to ensure that all of our agents are trained accordingly. Thank you for your patience and understanding in this matter.

Best,

Becky Parks
Senior Marketing Officer, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Old Dec 24, 2012, 12:26 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Any Problems Using UG Coupon When Using Transportation Certificate for Base Fare?

Just as airlines issue compensation certificates for poor service, Amtrak does so too. My question is, if I reserve an Acela Business seat using that certificate, can I later upgrade using a coupon within the 48-hour window?

The reason I ask is because Amtrak's upgrade process is so convoluted, requiring a refund of the original fare and a new fare charge.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 5:13 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: HH Diamond, Amtrak Exec
Originally Posted by Explore
Just as airlines issue compensation certificates for poor service, Amtrak does so too. My question is, if I reserve an Acela Business seat using that certificate, can I later upgrade using a coupon within the 48-hour window?
I cannot say with 100% certainty, but I do believe that you'll be able to do the upgrade.

Originally Posted by Explore
The reason I ask is because Amtrak's upgrade process is so convoluted, requiring a refund of the original fare and a new fare charge.
That no longer happens. It's much simpler today than it used to be. That's not to suggest that it's a walk in the park, but the days of crediting back to one's credit card are long over.

Do know that your eTicket will become invalid and will not work if you are successful in using the coupon. And the reservation will disappear from your smart phone's App I believe. When you turn in the coupon, the agent will give you a new eTicket on Amtrak ticket stock.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.