Search

Taking a later train?

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2010, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: big pimpin'
Taking a later train?

I haven't taken Amtrak in quite a few years, and I have a quick question:

If is ok if i miss my morning train and grab a later one and just use my earlier train ticket? I did this quite a few times while taking Amtrak in undergrad. Or do they use scanner or some policy now that prohibits this now?

Thanks!!
Old May 17, 2010, 11:22 am

Programs: Peon in all
I can't say for every station, but at smaller stations (such as KIN or NLC) WITHOUT GATE AGENTS, I have just boarded and the Conductor took my ticket with no problem. However, at large stations (such as NYP, BOS or PHL) WITH GATE AGENTS, they check to be sure your ticket is for #95, #93 or whatever. If not, I have been made to go to the ticket window and get a ticket for that train!
Old May 17, 2010, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by arfgoblue
I haven't taken Amtrak in quite a few years, and I have a quick question:

If is ok if i miss my morning train and grab a later one and just use my earlier train ticket? I did this quite a few times while taking Amtrak in undergrad. Or do they use scanner or some policy now that prohibits this now?

Thanks!!
The policy is that you must have a ticket for the correct date and time for a reserved train that you want to board. If you try to board with your old ticket, you may be denied and forced to exchange your ticket or you may be allowed to board.

You are taking a risk, but I would bet that many on this board have also taken similar risks before. It's up to you.
Old May 17, 2010, 11:40 am

Programs: BA GLD, AA GLD 1MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Titanium
Unless it's an unreserved train (these routes are very few and far between), you would need to change your ticket with a ticket agent before boarding the train. When you make the change, you would need to pay the fare difference if there was any - it might be that the two trains are the same price, or you could have to pay more to change, or you might get a refund.
Old May 17, 2010, 11:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by diesteldorf
The policy is that you must have a ticket for the correct date and time for a reserved train that you want to board. If you try to board with your old ticket, you may be denied and forced to exchange your ticket or you may be allowed to board.

You are taking a risk, but I would bet that many on this board have also taken similar risks before. It's up to you.
I understand it being a risk, but do they actually scan the tickets on board...or do they still just collect the stubs?
Old May 17, 2010, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by the_traveler
I can't say for every station, but at smaller stations (such as KIN or NLC) WITHOUT GATE AGENTS, I have just boarded and the Conductor took my ticket with no problem. However, at large stations (such as NYP, BOS or PHL) WITH GATE AGENTS, they check to be sure your ticket is for #95, #93 or whatever. If not, I have been made to go to the ticket window and get a ticket for that train!
Good point! ^

I think that is all they check is the train number...may make it difficult. I doubt the ticket agen on board would care though.
Old May 17, 2010, 2:35 pm

The conductor doesn't have a scanner, but there's nothing stopping him from just reading the train number off the ticket and insisting you buy a ticket for the actual train.
Old May 17, 2010, 5:45 pm

One strategy you may consider using is booking multiple tickets and only picking up the one you use.

You can always book a ticket and just wait till your ready to board the train to pick it up. You can then call in later, even after the train departed and request a refund. If you haven't picked up your ticket you can get a full refund of regular couch tickets.
Old May 17, 2010, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ClimbGuy
One strategy you may consider using is booking multiple tickets and only picking up the one you use.

You can always book a ticket and just wait till your ready to board the train to pick it up. You can then call in later, even after the train departed and request a refund. If you haven't picked up your ticket you can get a full refund of regular couch tickets.
What if I print out both tickets? Obviously I will only use one...could I get a refund on the other one, even though I didn't use it?

It is just that time will be at a premium...i only have 10 minutes to get from work to being on board the train.

Thanks!
Old May 17, 2010, 8:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AGR SE, SPG Platinum, HH Gold, MR Gold
Originally Posted by ClimbGuy
This isn't legal and I've done it somewhat accidentally a couple times. Once I got a phone call telling me I have to go cancel one. Don't know if they cancel a random one if you don't go do it after the warning.
Old May 17, 2010, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by arfgoblue
What if I print out both tickets? Obviously I will only use one...could I get a refund on the other one, even though I didn't use it?
If you don't print out a ticket you should get automatically refunded. If you print one out and want a refund you'll have to do it at a ticket office.
Old May 17, 2010, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FormerAmtrakTraveler
This isn't legal and I've done it somewhat accidentally a couple times. Once I got a phone call telling me I have to go cancel one. Don't know if they cancel a random one if you don't go do it after the warning.
Well, it's not illegal, at least not in the eyes of the law...

But still, an interesting story. I've done it myself (multiple tickets for the same day) with no problem, and also have never seen anyone reporting getting flagged in this way.

Anything special you were doing, or did you simply get flagged by chance?
Old May 17, 2010, 11:48 pm

This needs some clarification. As for the automatic refund, in the past I have had to call customer service to get a full refund to the original form of payment. That said, things may have changed and refunds may now be processed automatically.

As for printing the ticket, if you print the ticket in advance and want to return if for a refund to the original form of payment, you will have to pay a 10% fee. If you want to apply the value to a future ticket, you can do some without a fee.

I have made multiple bookings a few times in the past and never had any problems. It certainly isn't illegal, but may be it is against the TOS. I read through the TOS here: http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/Conten.../1237748590249

and can't find any reference to it.

Originally Posted by FormerAmtrakTraveler
If you don't print out a ticket you should get automatically refunded. If you print one out and want a refund you'll have to do it at a ticket office.
Old May 18, 2010, 9:53 am

Programs: AGR,CO,PC,AA
I would think it would be pretty easy to get around Amtraks audits for multiple bookings. Just make sure you use seperate accounts if booking online, different credit cards, and maybe throw a shortened or middle name on the ticket. Then if you need to use the second ticket have them change the name so you get your points.
Old May 18, 2010, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by nerd
Well, it's not illegal, at least not in the eyes of the law...

But still, an interesting story. I've done it myself (multiple tickets for the same day) with no problem, and also have never seen anyone reporting getting flagged in this way.

Anything special you were doing, or did you simply get flagged by chance?
I don't mean illegal from a civil law perspective, I mean against Amtrak rules, or at least I assumed so given the phone call I got. This happened recently so I still have the message on my phone if anybody wants me to post it I think the difference between the time I got "caught" and the time I didn't was that when I got caught I was double booked for a trip happening in the next 5-7 days, whereas the other time I remember doing the 2nd booking 1 day out. Theory is that if they have time they'll find it and get you to cancel one. I agree it's probably easy to get around this if you want to not enter your AGR # or morph your name in different ways.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.