Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Signed up for Membership Rewards Plus

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2009, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: CO Plat, *A Gold (all peacefully retired)
Signed up for Membership Rewards Plus

I called in to buy a reward item with points, and got the pitch to "upgrade" from a regular gold card to this Plus deal. According to the rep, I was paying an annual fee of $160 for the card, and this new deal reduces that to $150, plus I get double points on travel-related purchases. I'm wondering what the catch is.

Last time I had to call in for something, they talked me into sign and travel. What I didn't know until later on is that the interest rate on balances was 31 percent

So I'm wondering what they left out in this pitch.
Old Aug 25, 2009, 3:33 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, BA, CO, UA, US, B6, DL, Amex MR, HH
No catch - either they're trying to switch everyone over to the new product, or the rep noticed that the change could save you some money on the annual fee. You can see the two cards in comparison here: http://www201.americanexpress.com/ge...ccodes=152,144
Old Aug 25, 2009, 5:56 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by rbrenton88
... I get double points on travel-related purchases.
Not exactly. For the first twelve months you will earn one bonus point per dollar on purchases from Membership Rewards transfer partner airlines and hotel chains. After the first year the bonus drops to one-half point per dollar.

You can see a list of the transfer partner airlines and hotel chains here...

http://www.membershiprewards.com/cat...lFreqFlyerProg

All other "travel-related" purchases will earn only the standard one point per dollar.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.