Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

AMEX denies Car Rental Coverage when Rental Company Coupon Applied

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX denies Car Rental Coverage when Rental Company Coupon Applied

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2010, 8:41 pm

Programs: AA lifetime GOLD, but still an AA Baby compare to people here. CX nobody. BR Silver.
Originally Posted by cfischer
just make sure Amex charges you the per rental fee, then you are all set.
I also have Premium Car Rental Insurance.
But when will AMEX charge me for the premium?
I don't even know when car rental company charge me? AT the time of rental or at the time of return?
Thanks
Old May 31, 2010, 11:49 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, WN RR
I'm signed up for the premium coverage and Amex usually bills me for it ($24.99) after I pay for the rental.

(This kinda makes no sense - how can you have put the rental on your Amex card when you're paying for it when you return the car - have always hoped that just the reservation showing my PR Gold number would do the job)
Old May 31, 2010, 4:40 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by divemistressofthedark
...how can you have put the rental on your Amex card when you're paying for it when you return ...
The car rental agency submits the charge for authorization prior to the time you drive the car off the lot and will "reserve" an amount of credit adequate to cover the anticipated transaction plus a provision for additional charges. If that authorization is declined you won't be driving the car. If American Express were to see that no such authorization had been requested prior to the rental it's likely that an insurance claim would be denied.

Other card issuers (e. g. Bank of America) display these pending transactions on their website, but American Express does not.
Old May 31, 2010, 8:35 pm

Programs: Earned: AC SE, AA PLT - Comped: DL PLT, Avis PC, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by divemistressofthedark
I'm signed up for the premium coverage and Amex usually bills me for it ($24.99) after I pay for the rental.
I'm the opposite, always posts well before my rental is returned, with that said it's usually a 3 or 4 week rental.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 9:19 pm

Programs: DL KM
Originally Posted by guv1976
The printed terms and conditions that accompanied my Chase World MasterCard specifically provide that the free LDW will apply even if a free-day, or dollars-off coupon is used, as long as the cost of at least one full day of rental is charged to the card.
Not to kick a dead horse, but what is considered "one full day of rental"? Is that a rack rate? A discounted rate? Taxes and fees only on a free day coupon?
Old Aug 15, 2012, 10:07 pm

Bump, good stuff I did not know. FT is the best!!!
Old Aug 16, 2012, 6:05 pm

Has any of this changed in the last few years? I see that people have had some trouble with coupons and discounts. I just read the AMEX description of coverage on their site and I didn't see any references to the use of discounts or coupons outside of some language saying Membership Rewards Certs are covered. I can see the free day coupons being excluded. I just can't imagine using a CDP for a discount getting the coverage denied. Every somewhat frequent renter has one lol....
Old Aug 16, 2012, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

I don't think that using a Hertz CDP, Avis AWD, or similar discount rate code voids the free Amex coverage; rather, it is the use of a free-day or dollars-off coupon that causes the problem. But of course, it is best to verify this with Amex (and get it in writing).
Old Aug 17, 2012, 9:22 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

I don't think that using a Hertz CDP, Avis AWD, or similar discount rate code voids the free Amex coverage; rather, it is the use of a free-day or dollars-off coupon that causes the problem. But of course, it is best to verify this with Amex (and get it in writing).
To update I did call their 24/7 Car Rental Service division to ask if Discount codes void the coverage. They said no but you have to put the rental amount on the card and free day coupons void coverage.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:00 pm

Programs: Work in progress.
Originally Posted by asdf1223
To update I did call their 24/7 Car Rental Service division to ask if Discount codes void the coverage. They said no but you have to put the rental amount on the card and free day coupons void coverage.
That's strange. I was talking to them today and they said that as long ANY part of the rental was charged to the card, I would still have coverage.

Even if I used coupons or received a discounted rate or used free day certificates.

Although when I asked the CSR to give it to me in writing, she refused. She said that she and a supervisor had combed through the T&C and couldn't find anything that said I couldn't use the discounts etc...

Amex really needs to get their act together when it comes to releasing information.
First the Amex rewards mall, now this.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by Steve M
As implied by the name, this is an actual insurance product. That is, it's regulated by the Insurance Commissioner of your state (or perhaps some other state). Find out who the regulatory authority is, and take the matter up with them.

Is there any problem left in America that can't be solved by immediately filing a class-action lawsuit?
Thankfully, NO.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 11:19 am

Programs: Inf Elite CO, lifetime AA Platinum
Originally Posted by jatink129
That's strange. I was talking to them today and they said that as long ANY part of the rental was charged to the card, I would still have coverage.

If you have an accident why not just ask the car company to remove the coupons from your reservation and then put the full amount on your credit card? May be a small price to pay to ensure coverage.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 11:44 am

Programs: Work in progress.
Originally Posted by freakflyer
If you have an accident why not just ask the car company to remove the coupons from your reservation and then put the full amount on your credit card? May be a small price to pay to ensure coverage.
Ummm...Isn't that insurance fraud?
Old Aug 18, 2012, 12:37 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold

Even if I used coupons or received a discounted rate or used free day certificates.

Although when I asked the CSR to give it to me in writing, she refused. She said that she and a supervisor had combed through the T&C and couldn't find anything that said I couldn't use the discounts etc...

Amex really needs to get their act together when it comes to releasing information.
First the Amex rewards mall, now this.
I just don't want to pay rep roulette when I need to make an insurance claim. Will avoid free day coupons if I am renting with Amex or get the company's CDW.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 12:57 pm
b8b

Programs: DL Plat; HH Diamond; SPG & Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by roder
According to the American Express Premium Car Rental Program Representative I just spoke with (866-518-0259) this is NOT true. The person I spoke with told me that even the Premium policy will be nullified if a coupon is used for a rental.
This seems to nullify that, and you have it in writing:

Originally Posted by sanctified50
I sent an email to the Premium Car Rental Insurance claim asking about coupons and this is the response I got

With the Premium Car Rental Protection, you just have to make sure you
are paying some portion of the rental fees on your American Express
card. Coupons from the rental company for dollars off or even free days
are acceptable, as long as some portion of the rental fees are placed on
your American Express card. Please call us at 800-338-1670 if you have
any questions.
sanctified50 - I'm Curious, what email address did you use? It looks like you emailed this directly? I usually use the email through my online account, but would prefer direct emails so I have a record.

Originally Posted by skofarrell
If you have not signed up for Premium Rental Insurance, you'll submit a claim to your car insurance co (if you own a car) first, Amex will cover what your car insurance does not..
What about deductibles? If I have a $1k deductible and the damage is $800 and my car insurance doesn't pay, does Amex pick up the $800?

The printed terms and conditions ..., as long as the cost of at least one full day of rental is charged to the card.
Originally Posted by Easy Victor
.what is considered "one full day of rental"? Is that a rack rate? A discounted rate? Taxes and fees only on a free day coupon?
My question exactly. There are so many scenarios that could impact this.

Originally Posted by freakflyer
Ummm...Isn't that insurance fraud?
I wouldn't think so, it is simply a choice of payment method, can't you choose to apply a coupon to a rental or not, based on any decision criteria you choose? Not sure though, that's why I'm asking

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.