Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hertz & Centurion

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2009, 6:45 am

Programs: Amex Centurion, HHonors Diamond, Virgin Gold, BA Gold, Emirates Gold
Your #1 Gold works in the US (and most US locations are much better equipped to process #1 Gold more effectively).

I find when I book a European rental through #1 Gold it is very expensive and there are few stations that process it well.

In the US, you get very good rates, a great product and I would say that 75% of the time, I get an upgrade FOC.
Old Apr 1, 2009, 9:38 am

The benefits include: 3 car class upgrade, 4 hour grace period, and a free booster/child seat.

In practice, the locations have no idea what you're supposed to get, and you almost always need to go back to the counter to let them know (when they look up the CDP it tells them).

Even though these benefits are better than the Avis President's Club benefits, I always went with Avis, because they implement them without having to go back to the counter (for the most part).
Old Apr 1, 2009, 12:08 pm

Programs: IC Royal Ambassador, SPG Platinum, HH Gold, BA Gold, Flying Blue Platinum
Originally Posted by aviators99
The benefits include: 3 car class upgrade, 4 hour grace period, and a free booster/child seat.

In practice, the locations have no idea what you're supposed to get, and you almost always need to go back to the counter to let them know (when they look up the CDP it tells them).

Even though these benefits are better than the Avis President's Club benefits, I always went with Avis, because they implement them without having to go back to the counter (for the most part).
Please confirm the 3 class upgrade on Hertz with Centurion. I was only aware that they gave basic Hertz gold which may or may not come with one level upgrade.

Thanks for providing more information.
Old Apr 1, 2009, 12:18 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P

I was aware of the latter two, but I'm pretty sure it's only a 1 class upgrade. Calling Hertz now to enquire.
Old Apr 1, 2009, 1:26 pm

Definitely 3 class (with midsize reservation).

It is not just regular #1 Gold, and the amenities correspond to the Centurion CDP. It is not documented well.

No need to call, it's here:
https://www124.americanexpress.com/c...talelite#Hertz

Two things I left out:

Complimentary ski racks, courtesy pickup and delivery at FBOs
Old Apr 1, 2009, 1:36 pm

Programs: Plat:US,DL (ex KL,AF,LX,LY) Gold:BA,VS (ex CO,UA).Plat.SPG,HGP Diam.HH. ICHG Plat RA. Amex Centurion
IIRC, Hertz #1 Gold is nowhere near as lucrative as the "3-car upgrade", etc which you mentioned.

It is a far inferior product to Avis Presidents Club - even Avis Preferred is better (which is not to difficult to qualify for).

Hertz #1 is either available for purchase to anyone, for $60 - or else you can have it comped by any Visa Signature product, World Mastercard, and most Amex products.

Many FFP's in several countries also comp Hertz #1 Gold membership to all elite FF's if you ask. Check their car rental benefits section.

It's not an "elite" level of recognition at all. It either means you have a credit card that gave you the card for free - or you couldn't figure out that, and opted to pay them $60 to give you a plastic card, and store your personal data on Hertz's computers so you don't need to fill out long forms everytime you rent a car...
Old Apr 1, 2009, 1:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Only problem with the Cent CDP (and maybe other AMEX CDP's such as Plat) is that they apparently don't give airline mile credit. We had a Hertz rental with the Cent CDP which was supposed to be credited to BMI, but Hertz refused to. After multiple discussions, they continued to state that since the AMEX CDP was a special contract, they do not award any miles to any program when its used.

I'd be interested to hear if others have not had the same problem.
Old Apr 1, 2009, 2:01 pm

Programs: BA - Blue
I don't know about Centurion CDP, but my Amex plat CDP and/or BMI Hertz #1 gold CDP both post FF miles without issue.

(sorry this doesn't answer your specific question).

tn
Old Apr 1, 2009, 2:26 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Definitely 3 class (with midsize reservation).

It is not just regular #1 Gold, and the amenities correspond to the Centurion CDP. It is not documented well.

No need to call, it's here:
https://www124.americanexpress.com/c...talelite#Hertz

Two things I left out:

Complimentary ski racks, courtesy pickup and delivery at FBOs
Right...okay, so it's a max of Premium with a min rez of Midsize. Not terribly useful, but nice in theory, I guess.
Old Apr 2, 2009, 3:09 am

My UK centurion login doesn't open that, could you quote it please?
Old Apr 2, 2009, 7:05 am

Programs: Various
Hi Gareth,

Use this link:
https://www.icenturion.americanexpre...PremiumCarHire

Then you will see a link to Hertz that will list the benefits and enrolment page.

Thanks,
Richard
Old Apr 2, 2009, 7:35 am

Thanks Richard but that again lists only the European (& MEA) benefits:

"As an American Express Centurion member enrolled into Hertz #1 Club Gold, you can enjoy the following benefits at participating locations in Europe, Middle East and Africa:

* Complimentary upgrade to best available vehicle (excluding Hertz Prestige Collection), when you book a mid-size car or above.
* Free vehicle delivery and collection within 15 kms of the nearest Hertz location
* Fee waived child seats and ski racks (subject to availability)
What's more, when you rent using the special American Express Centurion CDP number XXXXX you will also drive away with the following additional benefits:

* Up to 15% off Hertz published retail rates for rentals within EMEA. Reduced rates at other Hertz participating locations worldwide.
* Guaranteed availability of a car at participating locations (excluding Hertz Prestige Collection (HPC)), when booking a minimum of two hours in advance.
* No extra charge for hiring a car from one location and leaving it at another in the same country within EMEA, although HPC vehicles must be returned to HPC locations and in France a drop off fee will apply when returning to a different location."

What I'm trying to find out. in this case, are the US benefits.

As an aide though, does it matter whether I have the #1 Gold through Centurion or another scheme? The text seems to imply that it might.
Old Apr 2, 2009, 10:26 am

Programs: Amex Biz Cent, Marriott LTP, Avis PC, Hilton Owners Diamond, AS MVP
Originally Posted by S.Bling
IIRC, Hertz #1 Gold is nowhere near as lucrative as the "3-car upgrade", etc which you mentioned.

It is a far inferior product to Avis Presidents Club - even Avis Preferred is better (which is not to difficult to qualify for).

Hertz #1 is either available for purchase to anyone, for $60 - or else you can have it comped by any Visa Signature product, World Mastercard, and most Amex products.

Many FFP's in several countries also comp Hertz #1 Gold membership to all elite FF's if you ask. Check their car rental benefits section.

It's not an "elite" level of recognition at all. It either means you have a credit card that gave you the card for free - or you couldn't figure out that, and opted to pay them $60 to give you a plastic card, and store your personal data on Hertz's computers so you don't need to fill out long forms everytime you rent a car...
I don't think the benefit is as much the #1 Club Gold as it is the Centurion CDP used in the reservation. As you said, #1 Club Gold is open for all for registration -- and god knows there are hundreds, if not thousands, of affiliations that offer a comped membership.

#1 Club in and of itself is merely a tool to save time...your rentals are ready when you show up and you shouldn't have to wait in line, dedicated counter if you do have to speak to a rep, etc. The real benefits either come from the CDP, or your #1 Club status (5*, Presidents Club, Platinum), or both.
Old Jul 23, 2009, 5:28 am

Programs: Disillusioned Cent

Hello aviators99

Sorry for bringing this up again, but are you really saying that a Centurion Card gets you a 3 car class upgrade in the US at Hertz? I'm asking this because even a 1 car class upgrade is very hard to get in Europe (most reps don't even know what a Centurion Card is). Do you have to quote a certain CDP to get the upgrade? Because just showing them the Centurion card clearly doesn't do the trick over here.

I'll be renting a car in SFO in August and would of course be happy to get a Centurion upgrade.

Thanks a lot.

Last edited by JohnRain; Jul 23, 2009 at 5:47 am
Old Jul 23, 2009, 6:11 am

100% dependant on the CDP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.