Wiki Posts
Search

Delta American Express card

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2008, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond MM Hyatt Plat Starwoods SPG
Delta American Express card

Recently I applied for an American Express Delta Gold card. I used the direct link from Delta's web page. The promotion stated 25K miles and annual fee waived for the first year.($95 value)
So I get my first bill and there is a $40 annual fee and I only get 15K miles.Then I call them and they ask if I have any documentation re the original offer? I tell them I was responding to their link on the Delta web site. They acted like they never heard of this, but would forward to a separate audit dept or something like that.
This looks to me like a classic "Bait and Switch" It should be a no brainer for American Express to verify their Delta Web site offer as its been running for a number of months. Also where did the $40 annual fee come from when it's supposed to be $95 (after one year)?
Anybody have this problem? Any suggestions? Thanks
Old Dec 6, 2008, 11:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Did you actually get the Gold card or a different one? It is possible that they approved you for a different card that has different bonus/fee results.
Old Dec 6, 2008, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbm12
Did you actually get the Gold card or a different one? It is possible that they approved you for a different card that has different bonus/fee results.
I did get the Gold Card
Old Dec 6, 2008, 12:12 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
on the website was it a banner add? something that at the bottom said "click here to apply"? or something along those lines....i had a similar problem with my amex plat application, i saw a banner add saying 25k bonus MR points with 1k spend on another forum, not trusting clicking on it i went right to amex's website and applied there, then spent 2 months arguing with amex to get them to give me the points.....anyway sometimes if you dont click the promotion link it wont flag your application as registered for that offer
Old Dec 6, 2008, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by Denzoo
Recently I applied for an American Express Delta Gold card. I used the direct link from Delta's web page. The promotion stated 25K miles and annual fee waived for the first year.($95 value)
So I get my first bill and there is a $40 annual fee and I only get 15K miles.Then I call them and they ask if I have any documentation re the original offer? I tell them I was responding to their link on the Delta web site. They acted like they never heard of this, but would forward to a separate audit dept or something like that.
This looks to me like a classic "Bait and Switch" It should be a no brainer for American Express to verify their Delta Web site offer as its been running for a number of months. Also where did the $40 annual fee come from when it's supposed to be $95 (after one year)?
Anybody have this problem? Any suggestions? Thanks
The $40 annual fee is for people who already have a charge card (pay in full cards) with them.
Old Dec 6, 2008, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by meinside99
The $40 annual fee is for people who already have a charge card (pay in full cards) with them.
Actually I do have an American Express Plat. card. Does this preclude me from the Delta Gold card offer? If so there was no disclaimer when I applied, so I hope to strongly contest.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 1:22 pm

Programs: AA CK, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
I recently had this same issue with the SPG AMEX card (15K bonus with 15K spend in 6 months). I sent AMEX and email inquiring when the points would be posted. I received a letter in the mail that I wasn't targeted for that promotion.

I wrote a letter to AMEX, printed out the T&C's of the offer by which I targeted them (targeting is a two-way street in these types of things), and highlighted where I was supposed to get the bonus points.

As a side note when I originally applied I called and did the application over the phone, mentioning that I had this offer (which they said was noted in the application). I called because I have a fraud alert on my credit reports and just ask that they transfer me immediately to the fraud department to verify my identity.

End of story - I got my 15K bonus a few weeks after sending the letter to AMEX.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 8:05 pm
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by Denzoo
Actually I do have an American Express Plat. card. Does this preclude me from the Delta Gold card offer? If so there was no disclaimer when I applied, so I hope to strongly contest.
You should still get the first year free. The reduced fee would kick in thereafter.
Old Dec 10, 2008, 6:49 am
ET

Programs: AA lifetime Gold, SPG
Same thing happened to me. I only got 10K miles though as a bonus. The 1st CSR said I'd get them posted later. I didn't. The 2nd CSR said that I had the Delta AMEX before (maybe 2 years ago?) and already got some bonus miles, and this was the "additional" bonus miles that would make my total bonus earned (over the 2 cards) be 25K. NOt sure what the real reason was, but I did have a Delta AMEX before, and it wasn't worth my time to fight it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.