Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Very very odd security questions from Amex today

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2008, 10:20 pm
Original Poster

Very very odd security questions from Amex today

OK, so why I am always the one with the wacky Amex stories?

Today I got a fraud alert on my Amex Platinum (which I now have full spending power again). It's a routine fraud check because I ordered a bunch of stuff today. So I call the 1-800 number, tell them my card #, full name, and last four of my SSN. They say "Have you made these charges?" and I said "Yes".

I thought I was good to go... wrong.

Then she says "Will you be using the card again today?" and of course I said "Yes" because I want the ability to use my card, even if I'm not actually going to. Then she says "Let me get that authorized" and puts me on hold for a minute. Then she says "Someone at American Express has some additional verification questions for you" and introduces me to this new lady.

She says "These questions are not related to any American Express card that you have" and then asks me the following:

- Name a relative of yours in California.
- What is the approximate square feet of your house?

What the hell? So of course I answered them, not knowing where they pulled that info from, but after that she said "OK you're all set, you can use your card now."

So, the square foot one I can understand, maybe there are public records on that, but my relative in CA? I only have one, who is my aunt who I never see, who has been married twice and changed her last name twice. Last time I saw her was about 5 years ago.

What kind of information are these people keeping on you?

Ethan

Last edited by ethanwa; Nov 13, 2008 at 12:31 pm
Old Nov 12, 2008, 10:23 pm

Programs: *G
I had a bunch of private questions similar to that when I activated my gold - i asked them where they got the info from and they just replied "public information". well, i barely knew the answers myself... not quite sure how public all of that really is...
Old Nov 12, 2008, 10:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
I made a large charge on my Merrill+ card and they asked me some similar questions. I was absolutely floored that they had that sort of data available.
Old Nov 13, 2008, 5:05 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Plat, US Chairman, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IC RA
If you go to any of those "background search" websites, they will sell you a report for about $10 that will tell you all of those things. Also, you might want to ** out the GD in your post before a mod does it for you.
Old Nov 13, 2008, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
They are using Lexis-Nexis. http://www.lexisnexis.com/

I've been asked my sister's name. Parent's names. Where they live, age.

The amount of information out there about you is a bit scary.
Old Nov 13, 2008, 6:18 am

Wow. Here goes my private life.
Old Nov 13, 2008, 8:06 am

Programs: AA Gold MM, DL Gold, US MM, HH Gold, Starwood
If it that easy to get that kind of info, why are the answers to those questions supposed to help deter fraud?

If they asked me about my square footage, I suppose bad things would happen since the public record is wrong. Tried a couple of times to correct it but I gave up.

Cheers
Old Nov 13, 2008, 8:29 am

That's the price for not having hard privacy policies like those we have in Europe
Almost everybody in the US is allowed to collect, record and disclose data about your life.
Old Nov 13, 2008, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
This is scary.
Old Nov 13, 2008, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TAHKUCT
Wow. Here goes my private life.
Hate to break it to you, but you, technically, never had one.
Old Nov 13, 2008, 8:48 am

Programs: UA GS, *G, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Diamond, Platinum on Blockbuster, GameStop, several library cards
Also often happens when applying for credit online. Then they do it to make sure they match up the right credit report to your name. This time around it sounded like they just wanted to make sure somebody hadn't just stolen your card and enough info to be dangerous. (SQF shows up on your mortgage which is on your credit report, but it is an unlikely piece of info for credit card thieves to collect.)
Old Nov 13, 2008, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by X3Skier
If it that easy to get that kind of info, why are the answers to those questions supposed to help deter fraud?
Getting access to the Lexis-Nexis database that has this kind of information is not easy. Its akin to getting lender access to your credit report.
Old Nov 13, 2008, 12:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

My wife had a similar issue one time. They asked which of three names was her relative. The catch is that none of them were. I guess that it prevents someone from guessing correctly.

And Lexis-Nexis is a little complicated to get in to, and they pay for the access, but it isn't impossible by any stretch. I've used it to track down a contractor who was avoiding me before by finding his home number and address.
Old Nov 13, 2008, 5:25 pm

Programs: All Around Nobody
I've never been asked questions like that for a fraud check. I've frequently had my card(s) frozen on driving trips and have to call in.

They always ask me what other cards I have among the usual security questions.

Once when applying for a card they called me and asked me a series of questions asking which answers were correct, none of the given answers were correct, though some were close. They asked about street names I've lived on and names of relatives.
Old Nov 13, 2008, 6:32 pm
In memoriam

These questions are very similar to, if not identical to, the security questions asked when one tries to access his or her free yearly credit report at annualcreditreport.com--that's one more reason to mail in your request.

The rather obvious inference is that the credit reporting agencies have all this info on you in their files.

Yuck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.