Wiki Posts
Search

Need expert advice 600K MR

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2008, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Red face Thank you thank you!!

Due to the great information, I have successfully booked our flights! Thank you for sharing.....
Sincerely,
Lisa
Old Oct 14, 2008, 11:35 am

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
What did you end up booking?
Old Oct 15, 2008, 9:01 am
Original Poster

Red face

Originally Posted by stevenshev
What did you end up booking?
Hi,
DFW to CDG via AMs
CDG to Rome
Rome to DFW

KLM and AF. 4 seats on flights all in Business. $508 for fees.

(Also reserved the new Celebrity Soltice sailing from Rome on July 17th) now have to work on an apartment in Paris and other hotels. This is a surprise for my family. I am not telling until Christmas!

Thanks!

Lisa
Old Oct 15, 2008, 10:26 am

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Not bad for a first time. Especially on the fees being so low.

For future reference, you really should try to do a real international first class product, especially since it's exactly the same number of points.

It should be interesting to see what happens when Continental joins Star Alliance, because right now they only offer business class awards on most of their partners, and attempt to charge for their own business class at the first class level. Not sure that they will attempt to, or be able to, get away with that once they're part of an alliance where a good number of the carriers (most?) have a three-class system.
Old Oct 15, 2008, 11:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by alexcturner
KLM and AF. 4 seats on flights all in Business. $508 for fees.
Not bad at all. Which program did you redeem from? At $127/ticket it seems too cheap for an AF or DL redemption, particularly with the various airport fees that you have to endure on that routing.
Old Oct 15, 2008, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Red face

Originally Posted by sbm12
Not bad at all. Which program did you redeem from? At $127/ticket it seems too cheap for an AF or DL redemption, particularly with the various airport fees that you have to endure on that routing.
I took your advice and called Continental. I had some points in that account as well so I did not have to transfer as many as I thought. And you were correct that they let me hold the seats (changed them 3 times while I was working on everything!) until the MR's transferred in. AF had quoted a much higher price on fees when I first talked to them. Everything else I checked did not have 4 seats on the flights (business or first).

Lisa
Old Oct 15, 2008, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Not bad for a first time. Especially on the fees being so low.

For future reference, you really should try to do a real international first class product, especially since it's exactly the same number of points.

It should be interesting to see what happens when Continental joins Star Alliance, because right now they only offer business class awards on most of their partners, and attempt to charge for their own business class at the first class level. Not sure that they will attempt to, or be able to, get away with that once they're part of an alliance where a good number of the carriers (most?) have a three-class system.
Yes, I really want to do that. Only have flown AA in First and Business internationally.
Old Oct 15, 2008, 11:38 am

I know this is a little off topic but, What is the benefit of airlines joining Star Alliance? What is the benifit to the traveler for flying Star Alliance? Thanks!
Old Oct 15, 2008, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by alexcturner
I took your advice and called Continental. I had some points in that account as well so I did not have to transfer as many as I thought. And you were correct that they let me hold the seats (changed them 3 times while I was working on everything!) until the MR's transferred in. AF had quoted a much higher price on fees when I first talked to them. Everything else I checked did not have 4 seats on the flights (business or first).

Lisa
Glad that worked out for you!

Originally Posted by gamer83
I know this is a little off topic but, What is the benefit of airlines joining Star Alliance? What is the benifit to the traveler for flying Star Alliance? Thanks!
Just a different set of partners. In the case of Membership Rewards there are currently no USA-based partners in the alliance so fuel surcharges have a habit of creeping in to redemption rates. With CO moving over to *A redemptions in that alliance should be slightly more accessible for MR members, not that ANA and AC are really all that bad.
Old Oct 15, 2008, 1:42 pm

Lisa,

Ah, you really should've PMed me, I would've helped you out - beacause I did a look before you posted and saw 4 LH First Class seats in both directions. Oh well. But no biggie, because you definitely did very well, and I'm impressed that you went through the hassle of calling AF and CO and getting quotes before pulling the trigger. CO is definitely the best from a fees perspective of the SkyTeam airlines.

To tack on a bit to the question if why Star Alliance is good, I think this needs to be put in perspective.

The global alliances essentially extend priviliges to members of their respective airlines both in terms of earning and redeeming miles and certain other perks (business/first class checkin, baggage allowance, lounge access). Skyteam, the alliance in which Continental currently resides, has a very limited network in Asia relative to the other two, virtually no coverage of the South Pacific, poor saver award availability on partners, expensive redemption rates, most of the carriers only have a 2-class product, and, AFAIK, all except Continental charge fuel surchages.

The benefit to us of Continental moving to Star is that we will now have many more redemption options, likely including First Class, not just business, will likely still not have to pay fuel surcharges, and we will still have Delta as a US-based Skyteam carrier. Diversification is always a good thing.
Old Oct 15, 2008, 2:51 pm

Skyteam, the alliance in which Continental currently resides, has a very limited network in Asia relative to the other two, virtually no coverage of the South Pacific, poor saver award availability on partners, expensive redemption rates, most of the carriers only have a 2-class product, and, AFAIK, all except Continental charge fuel surchages.
On the flip side, CO has some of the best coverage of Africa, China and South/Central America while *A lacks in those areas. Both are better than OW in Europe, and *A is better in Central Asia thanks to the recent TK addition.

The benefit to us of Continental moving to Star is that we will now have many more redemption options, likely including First Class, not just business, will likely still not have to pay fuel surcharges, and we will still have Delta as a US-based Skyteam carrier. Diversification is always a good thing.
Agreed.
Old Oct 15, 2008, 2:58 pm

China? Really? With two CN-based airlines in *, I'm not sure I'd agree.

Africa, yea, KL + AF are okay, but SA, LH, and LX aren't bad either. Both have EK.

Europe - agreed.
Old Oct 15, 2008, 3:16 pm

China? Really? With two CN-based airlines in *, I'm not sure I'd agree.

Africa, yea, KL + AF are okay, but SA, LH, and LX aren't bad either. Both have EK.

Europe - agreed.
CZ has very good coverage as well. But I forgot about Air China. Mea culpa on that one.

KQ trumps SA/MS in Africa.

And technically neither has EK. Some member airlines also partner with EK, but EK is most certainly an independent carrier.
Old Oct 15, 2008, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
CZ has very good coverage as well. But I forgot about Air China. Mea culpa on that one.

KQ trumps SA/MS in Africa.

And technically neither has EK. Some member airlines also partner with EK, but EK is most certainly an independent carrier.
Sorry, so used to doing the UA/CO comparison, that was in fact what I was spelling out.
Old Oct 15, 2008, 4:56 pm
Original Poster

Lisa,

Ah, you really should've PMed me, I would've helped you out - beacause I did a look before you posted and saw 4 LH First Class seats in both directions. Oh well. But no biggie, because you definitely did very well, and I'm impressed that you went through the hassle of calling AF and CO and getting quotes before pulling the trigger. CO is definitely the best from a fees perspective of the SkyTeam airlines.

To tack on a bit to the question if why Star Alliance is good, I think this needs to be put in perspective.

The global alliances essentially extend priviliges to members of their respective airlines both in terms of earning and redeeming miles and certain other perks (business/first class checkin, baggage allowance, lounge access). Skyteam, the alliance in which Continental currently resides, has a very limited network in Asia relative to the other two, virtually no coverage of the South Pacific, poor saver award availability on partners, expensive redemption rates, most of the carriers only have a 2-class product, and, AFAIK, all except Continental charge fuel surchages.

Yes, I thought about the PM to you...but I would have driven you crazy! I decided to add another stop to get in the Greek Isles. At first got Venice then changed to Rome when I decided on a definate itinerary. Next time should be more "cut and dried".
Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.