Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Gold Card and Gold Card Rewards Plus - applying for both ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2008, 6:48 pm
Original Poster

Last week I applied online for a Gold card (10,000 points after the first use) and got accepted. Today I received a pre-approved offer in the mail for a Gold Rewards Plus card (25,000 points if I spend $1000 by July 31st). Anyone see a problem if I apply for this second card ? It seems to me that it's a different type of Amex card.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 9:08 pm

Programs: AA Gold, AMEX MR, BA, DL, SPG, UA, US, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by BakerStreet
Last week I applied online for a Gold card (10,000 points after the first use) and got accepted. Today I received a pre-approved offer in the mail for a Gold Rewards Plus card (25,000 points if I spend $1000 by July 31st). Anyone see a problem if I apply for this second card ? It seems to me that it's a different type of Amex card.
First, you need to tell us the exact Gold Card that you applied for last week. AX has many similar sounding products.

Second, if you applied for the Preferred Rewards Gold Card with a 10,000 bonus (a current AX offer), and the Gold Rewards Plus card with a 25,000 bonus, you should get both bonuses.

Third, AX allows you to apply and receive for separate card products (different names) and get both bonuses. However, if you already received a bonus for the same card product, you won't get the bonus twice.

Assuming the first year fee is waived for both cards, apply for both, you have nothing to loose.
Old Apr 18, 2008, 8:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by whynotgo
First, you need to tell us the exact Gold Card that you applied for last week. AX has many similar sounding products.

Second, if you applied for the Preferred Rewards Gold Card with a 10,000 bonus (a current AX offer), and the Gold Rewards Plus card with a 25,000 bonus, you should get both bonuses.

Third, AX allows you to apply and receive for separate card products (different names) and get both bonuses. However, if you already received a bonus for the same card product, you won't get the bonus twice.

Assuming the first year fee is waived for both cards, apply for both, you have nothing to loose.
Thanks very much - a very helpful response. I sent off the second application today.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.