Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

How Long Does It Take For Points To Show Up Once You Pay Statement?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2008, 8:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver

I have an AAdvantage Amex and the miles show up the day after I pay my credit card. However, I just signed up for a Gold Amex and I paid my statement 3-4 days ago ($ already taken out of bank account) and no points have shown up, so was just wondering how long it takes.

Thanks
Old Mar 20, 2008, 10:09 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
The time frame is somewhat annoying... my MR points post as "pending" shortly after my statement prints, but do not become available until after the close of the next billing cycle.
Old Mar 20, 2008, 10:44 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
If you need the points before the close of the next statement, you can call AmEx and ask them to post the points sooner, but you also must make a transfer to another program at the same time. I have done this on more than one occasion.

John
Old Mar 20, 2008, 5:04 pm

Programs: AA, AS, BA, DL Plat, Chase UR, Diners, UA, F9, WN, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Amex MR.
For me, AMEX MR points generally show up within 3-10 days of when I pay my bill. However, it is inconsistent and confusing; I think it depends on the day of month that your statement closes and when you pay.

AMEX Starwood Points (which are also more valuable) show up within 2-3 days of statement closing, even before I pay my bill!
Old Mar 20, 2008, 6:54 pm

Programs: amex plat, amex starwoods
for plat the rep had told me it was a 2 statement delay, which i thoguth was ridiculous.
Old Mar 20, 2008, 9:03 pm

Programs: Amex Personal PLT, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold, Hyatt Gold
I have Plat, and you have to wait until the statement cycle closes to get the points. Good to hear you can call up Amex (or secure email via Amex site maybe) and get your points sooner. I'll remember that.
Old Mar 21, 2008, 5:44 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
In my experience Membership Rewards points post when the PDF version of the next statement is available online. For example, if the Closing Date is March 19, the new online statement will appear on the 20th, the PDF statement and points earned the previous statement should appear on the 21st.
Old Mar 21, 2008, 8:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mia
In my experience Membership Rewards points post when the PDF version of the next statement is available online. For example, if the Closing Date is March 19, the new online statement will appear on the 20th, the PDF statement and points earned the previous statement should appear on the 21st.
This makes sense. They post when the cycle in which you pay the bill for them closes. The reason it differs for MR versus the SPG card or any of the others is that MR will actually not give you the points if you're late paying (though you can buy them back within the first month). On the flip side, AmEx likes when you carry a balance and pay late on the credit cards, as they make more money off of you.
Originally Posted by fti
If you need the points before the close of the next statement, you can call AmEx and ask them to post the points sooner, but you also must make a transfer to another program at the same time. I have done this on more than one occasion.

John
This sounds like the points advance feature where you can borrow points against future earnings.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 4:20 pm

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriott LT Titanium, AA Plat Pro/LT Plat
Originally Posted by sbm12
This sounds like the points advance feature where you can borrow points against future earnings.
I believe fti was referring to the acceleration of pending points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.