Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

How do Small Business Cards Get Reported to Credit Bureaus?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2008, 5:39 am
Original Poster

Can anyone please let me know if AMEX small business cards (like the Plum Card) get reported to the credit bureaus? If so, is it reported differently? Is it only reported for the cardholder under which the account was created? I'm not even sure if it is reported at all since I haven't run a credit report lately. Thanks.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 7:50 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AA Exec Plat, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Great question. I would like to know as well. Is it reported under the applicant's ssn, or the federal tax payer id of the business, or both?
Old Jan 2, 2008, 9:20 am

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
Business cards typically don't report against your personal credit report. I don't have any Amex business cards, but I do have them from Chase, Citi, Advanta, Fifth Third, and Barclays and none show on my credit report (except for the initial inquiry).

There are some strange ones, such as Citi Professional that are business cards but DO show up on your credit report.

fatwallet.com probably holds the answer to the particular card you are looking for. Check the finance forum.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 12:34 pm

Beyond the initial inquiry and subsequent allowable inquiries of primary and additional cardholders they do not get reported as an active credit line.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 2:47 pm

Programs: Amex Personal PLT, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold, Hyatt Gold
Yep, only the initial hard pull/inquiry (when applying for the card) and any subsequent hard pull/inquiries will show up on the personal credit report. Does not show up as an active credit line, however if you default, then the Biz CC will report the default to your personal credit, thus affecting your personal rating.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 3:03 pm

The Plum Card doesn't show up on your credit report.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 5:41 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Fairmont Premier, SPG Platinum, CO Silver, etc.
I have an amex gold business card and it does not get reported except the inquiry. However if you default on payment, obviously it will appear on the report. Unless you get an amex business "credit" card, then it will report due to line of credit.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 5:46 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Amex doesn't report on your personal credit report-- but they do report
to Equifax Commercial Credit.

The report is similar to a personal credit report with prettier graphics, including a colored pie chart.

Like your personal report a numeric score is also generated ("Credit Risk Score")

Here's what Equifax says:

The Credit Risk Score is designed to assist credit grantors in improving risk assessment throughout a small business's account life cycle, reducing delinquency rates and improving profitability. The score utilizes unique bank loan, credit card, and lease information, as well as, supplier, telco and utility credit history, public records, and firmographic data from the SBE databases. The score predicts the likelihood of a small business incurring greater than 90 days severe delinquency, charge-off or bankruptcy on supplier accounts over the next 12 months.

Score range is 101 - 816, with the lower score indicating higher risk. Up to four reason codes may be returned indicating the top factors influencing the score.

Amex runs an inquiry when you apply for a business credit card and then after you have one they report monthly.

There is not a heck of a lot of info out there but I'm assuming that they aggregate your personal and business credit "in house"
Old Jan 2, 2008, 5:56 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 100k
Although not issued by Amex, my AA Citi Amex does not appear on my CR at all - did not even appear as a hard inquiry when I applied.
Old Feb 23, 2008, 11:34 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Plat, SPG Gold, IHG Gold, BW Diamond, Club Carlson Silver
Canadian Small Business cards

For all who are interested, both Canadian small business cards I have DO report on my personal CR.

Both the initial hard inquiries (Equifax only) and active trades show up for the CIBC Bizline and Aerogold for Small Business cards (on BOTH reports). So far there havent been any other hard hits from them, only the usual soft ones every few months or so.
Old Feb 24, 2008, 9:04 am

Programs: Lots
IMHO this practice by AmEx is shameful. It essentially locks small businesses in to AmEx after building a great credit history since no one else knows about it. So years of building credit DON'T get reported but if something bad were to happen, they report to the primary user's personal credit right away.
Old Feb 24, 2008, 10:28 am

Programs: SkyMiles, Dividend Miles, True Blue, Membership Rewards
Originally Posted by Axey
IMHO this practice by AmEx is shameful. It essentially locks small businesses in to AmEx after building a great credit history since no one else knows about it. So years of building credit DON'T get reported but if something bad were to happen, they report to the primary user's personal credit right away.
Why just AMEX? I know Chase, BOA and Advanta do the same.

-Dave
Old Feb 24, 2008, 10:40 am

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by MrDave
Why just AMEX? I know Chase, BOA and Advanta do the same.
Just to clarify, I'm disappointed with the reporting, not the personal liability aspect which is completely understandable.

My Advanta account is regularly reported under my business' credit..
Old Feb 26, 2008, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by Axey
If you have a real business and a Federal Tax ID number then your business credit will be reported to Dun and Bradstreet. http://www.dnb.com/
Old Feb 26, 2008, 1:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: United GS+
Originally Posted by DirtyShirt
If you have a real business and a Federal Tax ID number then your business credit will be reported to Dun and Bradstreet. http://www.dnb.com/
Right, business credit goes on the d&b credit report. Nothing shameful about that. It'd be shameful if your business credit trashed your personal credit score by showing a ton of debt.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.