Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to attain 250,000.00 in spending on AMEX

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2007, 10:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: AMEX PLAT, NWA PLAT, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Diamond, Chairman Card
How to attain 250,000.00 in spending on AMEX

Hi everyone,
Just wondering if someone out there can tell me how to make charges on my AMEX account to bing me up to the 250,000.00 centurion qualification. I have three cards under my Plat account, and through regular purchaces we spend about 10,000 a month. I have had everyone on my account purchase qift checks 1000 every 14days which has raised our total spend to around 16,000. Is there anything else i can do like the gift checks to help raise me up to the 20,000 a moth level and hopefully make 250,000 in a year? Just trying to find a way to put charges through and them paying them off. Hope anyone out there can help or understand what im trying to do. they discontinued the travel card, so I just need a way to make the extra charges and paythem back so the charges will show up purchaes on the AMEX account. Any info will be helpful. Thanks.
Old Oct 30, 2007, 10:49 am

What about PayPal? I think as long as you are paying the fee (which I am not sure would be worth it in the long run), PayPal now does not have limits on AMEX like it used to do, and can be used for cash advances (just not to yourself) without it qualifying as a normal AMEX cash advance.
Old Oct 30, 2007, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: AMEX PLAT, NWA PLAT, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Diamond, Chairman Card
i have tried paypal and goole check out but they frowned on me sending money to the other people on my account because we all have the same address. thanks for that option though.
Old Oct 30, 2007, 11:01 am

You really want to spend $7,500 for a Centurion with all the benefits they've cut?
Old Oct 30, 2007, 11:39 am

Programs: Amex Personal Centurion, Amex Business Centurion(cancelled), Merril+, CitiGold, JP Morgan Palladium
What is so important that you need to have this card? Centurion is over-rated!
Old Oct 30, 2007, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by DMDortho
What is so important that you need to have this card? Centurion is over-rated!
Riiiggghhtt.. It's so over-rated that you, yourself, have "Amex Personal Centurion" and "Amex Business Centurion" listed in your signature

The OP simply wanted info on how to increase his spend in order to qualify for the card.
Old Oct 30, 2007, 1:45 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion
Why do people think Centurion is over-rated? People need to be realistic about the cards limitations. I am not a road warrior and therefore do not have milage status on any airlines. With the card and status it gives you I have flown 8 roundtrips and have received upgrades on 7.5 of them, including one trip to the Dominican Republic. I only leg I did not get upgraded on was a redeye back from vegas after one of their busiest weekends of the year (btw i even got a buddy of mine upgraded on the way out). I am flying to DC tomorrow and got my upgrade confirmations last night. I have stayed at one of the best suites at the top floor of the wynn for a dirt cheap price with a days notice. On the ride down the elevator I talked with Labron James, Coach K, Kobe B. and other USA basketball players all staying below me. I get reservations at the best restraurants in NYC, free night stays at hotels, upgrades, etc. Plus the cool factor alone is worth the $$$$. While I make a lot of money relative to my peers (I'm 24) the only reason I have the card is as a secondary cardholder because my buddy puts over a $1 million of business expenses on his card. While I only have to pay $1500 I can easily see someone amortizing the upfront cost over several years. Basically it has allowed me to do/enjoy a lot more than I could have before without spending a fortune (ironic don't you think). $7,500 upfront is steep but how much do 8 first class tickets cost?
Old Oct 30, 2007, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by ymnuscp
I have had everyone on my account purchase qift checks 1000 every 14days which has raised our total spend to around 16,000.
Are you aware that this is costing you $400 every 14 days?

$16,000 / $100 Denomination Gift Cheques = 160 Gift Cheques

160 Gift Cheques * $2.50 per Cheque = $400.00 in Gift Cheque fees.
Old Oct 30, 2007, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by ymnuscp
...can tell me how to make charges on my AMEX account to bring me up to the 250,000.00 centurion qualification.
I would dare to assume that nearly all of the people on this board who qualified for Centurion in terms of yearly spend (either the original qualification amount of $150,000 per year or the new qualification amount of $250,000 per year) did so by charging reimbursable business expenses to their cards.

The percentage of people who have enough of their own money to spend this much on personal goods is very, very small.

Not that it matters, obviously.

The perfect example is this 18 year old kid (at the time) who qualified for Centurion because of his company. He was a Dell reseller and paid for his Dell account via Amex. As a Dell reseller he had to sell a minimum of $100,000 a year in Dell equipment.

You can read about him here

This, by far, the easiest way to get the card, other than knowing someone who has the card and who is willing to add you on as an additional card holder. The latter of which would only cost you $1,500 per year.

I even read one article where a Platinum-card-holding investment banker got additional Platinum cards for all of his buddies and had them funnel everything through the additional cards.

Last edited by DelrayChris; Oct 30, 2007 at 2:07 pm
Old Oct 30, 2007, 1:59 pm

i have tried paypal and goole check out but they frowned on me sending money to the other people on my account because we all have the same address. thanks for that option though.

I have never heard of this happening. Usually if you have a verified account sending to another verified account that is not in the same name, it should go through. Nonetheless, what about sending to a trusted friend/relative who does not live at the same address, or using a PO Box address?
Old Oct 30, 2007, 2:15 pm

Why do people think Centurion is over-rated? People need to be realistic about the cards limitations. I am not a road warrior and therefore do not have milage status on any airlines. With the card and status it gives you I have flown 8 roundtrips and have received upgrades on 7.5 of them, including one trip to the Dominican Republic. I only leg I did not get upgraded on was a redeye back from vegas after one of their busiest weekends of the year (btw i even got a buddy of mine upgraded on the way out). I am flying to DC tomorrow and got my upgrade confirmations last night. I have stayed at one of the best suites at the top floor of the wynn for a dirt cheap price with a days notice. On the ride down the elevator I talked with Labron James, Coach K, Kobe B. and other USA basketball players all staying below me. I get reservations at the best restraurants in NYC, free night stays at hotels, upgrades, etc. Plus the cool factor alone is worth the $$$$. While I make a lot of money relative to my peers (I'm 24) the only reason I have the card is as a secondary cardholder because my buddy puts over a $1 million of business expenses on his card. While I only have to pay $1500 I can easily see someone amortizing the upfront cost over several years. Basically it has allowed me to do/enjoy a lot more than I could have before without spending a fortune (ironic don't you think). $7,500 upfront is steep but how much do 8 first class tickets cost?

I totally agree with you, and I am just a lowly Platinum (though they are Spain and UK issued cards, which the customer service/lifestyles/travel is the same reps used for Centurion members)
In my opinion, if you are someone who travels and lives a certain kind of active mobile lifestyle, these premium cards pay for themselves after just a few months' useage.
I do agree that having an initiation fee for Centurion of $5,000 when in the past, there was none, is a practice that makes a lot of people tick, but still, even at $7,500, its worth it if you are saavy enough to take advantage of it to the fullest.
It is marketed exactly at the target demographic AMEX wishes to attract=those that will use and appreciate its amenities, and who obviously have enough/make enough to where its not going to break the bank to fork over such large fees because these people will see the value (IE: As you said, the cost of Elite membership, upgrades, etc) that they are going to be getting, provided they take full advantage of it.
I will say, its very gratifying to be able to land last minute in ATL on a busy convention weekend, and in one phone call, have Spencer at Travel in the UK get me a last minute room at the Ritz Carlton. The same with Chicago. Or a last minute table for 8 at Chicago's hot Japonais restaurant, when OpenTable.com was showing no tables available until close to 2 weeks from my desired date!
If you do not wish to pay the fee, then don't and just remain Gold/Platinum, no one is twisting your arm.
Old Oct 30, 2007, 2:29 pm

Programs: Amex FHR elite travel agent, Ritz Stars, Hyatt Prive, Four Seasons Preferred Partner and others
You can put traveller's cheques on your card as well if you have a amex travel office nearby.
Old Oct 30, 2007, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

thanks for all the info guys, i will ask some friends about paypal and look into the travelers checks. wish me luck
Old Oct 30, 2007, 2:58 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, Starwood Gold, VX elevate
Good luck to you! Don't let others discourage you; I've learned time and time again that if you want something, you need to go out there and get it. Even if other people think its crazy. If it makes you happy, it's worth doing.

As someone who was previously a CENT cardholder, it certainly has its benefits, and does hold its weight in gold (well, in this case, titanium). There's no denying that the benefits (specifically the travel benefits) make it the most valuable card out there. I personally could never justify spending $1000+ on an annual fee for the credit card, when I knew that the Platinum fee was only $450 and had almost identical benefits. I did like the frequent flyer status (never really got upgraded but thats not the point), though since I really only fly CO and WN, the only thing that mattered to me was the Presidents Club access on CO, which I now get with my Platinum card. Though I'm sure the OP has done his research, and is set on getting the CENT card, so lets all help him along with any advice we can.
Old Oct 30, 2007, 3:37 pm

Programs: CO, UA, AA, WN, DL Gold
Originally Posted by chewy3
You can put traveller's cheques on your card as well if you have a amex travel office nearby.
Is there a fee for this? If not, it seems like a pretty good way to get AMR points. Or am I missing something?

Matt

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.