Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

International Airline Program (IAP) 2 for 1 for Platinum/Centurion Members

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

International Airline Program (IAP) 2 for 1 for Platinum/Centurion Members

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2008, 10:05 pm

Programs: AA Life PLT 3MM/ NZ Gold
My experience on Virgin Atlantic is the companion ticket does not earn miles. The paid ticket does.
Old Aug 27, 2008, 9:52 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by bnw2005
My experience on Virgin Atlantic is the companion ticket does not earn miles. The paid ticket does.
That's been my experience as well, on CX.
Old Aug 27, 2008, 11:24 am

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
And on LAN.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 7:29 am

Programs: Continental, United, AA
Does this thread have correct information about booking class info and the international 2 for 1 program. For eg, I'm looking into using the promotion to fly to israel around christmas. The chart in this thread indicates that I need to find Z class availability. Is this correct? I feel like I've read something to the contrary elsewhere. Thanks for the help.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 8:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by J-FLyer
Does this thread have correct information about booking class info and the international 2 for 1 program. For eg, I'm looking into using the promotion to fly to israel around christmas. The chart in this thread indicates that I need to find Z class availability. Is this correct? I feel like I've read something to the contrary elsewhere. Thanks for the help.
Assuming that you plan on flying on CO, that would seem to be the case. You'd need Z inventory and you'd pay J fares. From EWR the Z fares range from $2564-$4776 and the J fares are $8346-$11729. The IAP would not seem to be such a deal in this case.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 10:33 am

Programs: Continental, United, AA
Yes, was looking at CO. The lowest fare in the dates I'm looking at is around 8900 all in. I was hoping that the offer would help out somehow. I'm beginning to question the value of a platinum card. I would have been happy to pay a full fare if I got a companion ticket free (as the program is marketed), but this does not seem to be the case. I need discount bucket availability (of which there is none), 2 of which would cost less than a single full-fare. So, the deal only comes in handy if there is only one discounted ticket left on a flight. I gather other routes are different, as I've previously used the program to fly AF in an economically desirable manner. Any suggestions on what to do with my MR points if I want to close down the Platinum account?
Old Oct 11, 2008, 11:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
I'm beginning to question the value of a platinum card.
Well, it's pretty well documented and covered both here and other places that the value of this particular benefit (2-4-1 Business) is pretty lame. Additionally, with Amex now canceling the 2-4-1 domestic companion program (which IMHO was a much more valuable program) I think many of us are questioning the value of the card.

In terms of what to do w/MR points, obviously you could use them! Or you could consider getting a different Amex card with a more reasonable fee and after that is established, then close the platinum card. Finally, you could of course transfer them into an airline program that is supported by Amex MR.

Regards.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 8:04 pm

Programs: UA1K, F9 Ascent
Will the companion ticket earn miles? I understand that in the domestic program they do, but am not sure about the internation companion ticket program. Thanks for the help. ^
My boss and I flew DEN-SOF on LH recently using a 2 for 1 ticket. We booked it through AMEX Travel and inquired about the mileage. The travel agent said that the miles would probably only be posted to my boss's MP account but that she would contact LH prior to departure to see if I would also receive the miles. We did not hear from her again but when we checked in for the flight we asked the LH gate agent the same question. She wasn't sure but she did enter my MP number. I checked my MP account a few days later and the miles were there. I was stoked! After returning home I checked my account periodically but the return did not post. After waiting the 15 days I sent an inquiry to United about the miles. 2 days later they were posted. After all that I have heard and read I feel very fortunate to have received the miles.

As to whether the Card was worth it, this trip alone saved us close to $9,000 USD. ^

I am considering a Platinum Card with the IAP as a huge draw. I am unclear as to how long the program will last. They have an expiry date on the AMEX site but is that for registration or is that for the end of the program? Thanks,
Old Oct 13, 2008, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by gmitchs
As to whether the Card was worth it, this trip alone saved us close to $9,000 USD. ^
I'm a bit surprised by this number. The fares do not appear that close for the deal:

[KVS Availability Tool 3.3.0/Platinum - Sabre: Fares/DotRes/US]
Code:
DEN  Denver Int'l CO US [KDEN]
SOF  Sofia BG [LBSF]
WED  10 Dec 2008 / SAT  20 Dec 2008 / RT

Carrier   From   To   Fare      Cur                      Fare Basis
--------- ------ ---- --------- ---- --------- ---- ---- ---------- 
LH        DEN    SOF    11370   USD                      DRE
LH        DEN    SOF    13416   USD                      CR
LH        DEN    SOF    14568   USD                      DOE
LH        DEN    SOF    16190   USD                      C
You have to book in D and pay for C. I would think that you'd pay the $16K fare and potentially book in to the $11K fare. There is still some savings there, but after taxes/surcharges not $9K.

I am considering a Platinum Card with the IAP as a huge draw. I am unclear as to how long the program will last. They have an expiry date on the AMEX site but is that for registration or is that for the end of the program? Thanks,
The expiration listed is basically there because the contracts with the airlines are annual, so there is no guarantee that any particular carrier or destination will be there next year. But the program will almost certainly not disappear.

Also consider that there are fares that are cheaper than what LH offers, and that a Biz fare to a European gateway and then adding on a coach segment to get to the final destination will be much cheaper and almost identical service for that last segment in most cases for destinations that do not offer non-stop service from the USA.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 9:08 pm

Programs: UA1K, F9 Ascent
I don't know the booking codes that were used but I do remember the agent quoting us over $11,000 USD per ticket for a Business Class fare. She said the IAP was available but we would have to book into a higher fare. The final price for the 2 for 1 was a little over $13,000 USD. There were cheaper alternatives (mostly non *A ) available but they also involved additional stops. Less hassle = Better trip.

I am also certain that most of the 2 for 1 tickets don't work out this well but I was surprised an happy with the outcome.

Thank you for the information about the expiry dates.
Old Oct 16, 2008, 4:43 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
is it true that the international 2 for 1 is also ending dec 31 of this year? i know the domestic one is and i got the letter about it from amex but someone just told me the international one is ending as well? can anyone confirm it?
Old Oct 16, 2008, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by xolinlevh
is it true that the international 2 for 1 is also ending dec 31 of this year? i know the domestic one is and i got the letter about it from amex but someone just told me the international one is ending as well? can anyone confirm it?
It always states that the deals are only good through the end of the current calendar year until AmEx signs the contracts with the airlines for the following calendar year. I cannot imagine them killing this program. It is a win for both the airlines and AmEx. And they certainly haven't stated anything publicly. In fact, in the letter I got about the end of the domestic program they tout the IAP as still in operation.
Old Oct 16, 2008, 9:55 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by sbm12
It always states that the deals are only good through the end of the current calendar year until AmEx signs the contracts with the airlines for the following calendar year. I cannot imagine them killing this program. It is a win for both the airlines and AmEx. And they certainly haven't stated anything publicly. In fact, in the letter I got about the end of the domestic program they tout the IAP as still in operation.
hehe ok good, that just kinda scared me when i saw it.
Old Oct 18, 2008, 10:13 am
mdb

Does anyone know what the 2009 contract looks like for the 2-4-1? Meaning which carriers and what classes of service?
Old Dec 3, 2008, 3:03 pm
mdb

Updates???? Are there any changes for 2009? I have seen nothing yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.