Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

International Airline Program (IAP) 2 for 1 for Platinum/Centurion Members

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

International Airline Program (IAP) 2 for 1 for Platinum/Centurion Members

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2012, 11:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
The International Companion fare is based on full fare F or J so discounted fares are irrelevant. In most cases, 2 discounted F or J tickets are cheaper than one full fare ticket. IME, except for EK, the companion fare program is pretty much useless.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 4:11 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Mike_K's question has been appended to established discussion of the International Airline Program. This program is a way to reduce the cost of longhaul premium class travel when you you cannot qualify for discounts based on advance purchase or length of stay with change or cancellation penalties. It cannot be combined with fares which are already discounted.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 10:16 pm

I was talking about the Platinum card pass and your post is about what I expected, from what I've read.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Mike_K's question has been appended to established discussion of the International Airline Program. This program is a way to reduce the cost of longhaul premium class travel when you you cannot qualify for discounts based on advance purchase or length of stay with change or cancellation penalties. It cannot be combined with fares which are already discounted.
I'd be really curious as to how many 2 for 1's Amex really sells. Even taking what you say into account I tried to find 2 Virgin Atlantic UC tickets 3 days out and the on line price was $5400 each. The Amex quoted price was over $18,000 for the 2. I couldn't even find the fare quoted anywhere onlne.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 7:18 am

Programs: JPMorgan Palladium, AMEX MR, Krisflyer, M&M, United, SPG Gold
You can't find these fares because they are unpublished fares.

2-for-1 is a terrible deal for business class, but every fare I've searched for in first has been far superior to buying two separate first tickets. In my experience, it's typically a few thousand more than a single first ticket that you can buy off kayak or whatever, but you still save a ton. On my last trip, it saved me roughly $3,000. Con of that whole thing is that the second ticket doesn't accrue miles or status, which I think is a pretty big perk when getting a ticket for first class.

It's really case by case, but I'd never use the program for business. There's no savings to be had except in really unique circumstances.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 10:49 pm

Programs: DL DM & 2MM; Marriott Ambassador;Lifetime Titanium; IHG Spire Elite; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist
First Class Companion Ticket

I need help understanding the answers I got from Amex today. I called Platinum travel services today to find out the pricing on a pair of business class tickets MSP-CMN. I was told that the fare basis code to be able to buy one and get the companion ticket for taxes only is either I or D. She then quoted fares from $9600 to $10K+. I just looked up the D fare pricing and it is $5971. Add on the $1000 for taxes and it is about the price of two M fare tix using SWU's for UG. Using the companion ticket, though, I get the guarantee of a Business class ticket on the flights I want.
So, can someone help me understand the disparity between the D fares that I see and the ones that Amex is quoting?
Old Sep 25, 2012, 12:33 am

Not quite sure about specific in fare class code quoted but it is widely been discussed on Flyertalk that you can often buy two First/Business discounted class tickets cheaper than the amex companion offer.

the advantage of Amex Companion is it is often more flexible, changeable, and refundable and if you are due reimbursement by your company or a contract you can take a companion along for the cheap.

But if your plans are set in stone and in advance I have never seen where two discounted tickets are more expensive than the Amex plan.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 6:49 am
mia

Originally Posted by flyerdoc
... I was told that the fare basis code to be able to buy one and get the companion ticket for taxes only is either I or D.
I believe this means that seats in buckets D or I must be available to sell on the flights, but the price is based on (for example) bucket J.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 1:51 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
I need help understanding the answers I got from Amex today. I called Platinum travel services today to find out the pricing on a pair of business class tickets MSP-CMN. I was told that the fare basis code to be able to buy one and get the companion ticket for taxes only is either I or D. She then quoted fares from $9600 to $10K+. I just looked up the D fare pricing and it is $5971. Add on the $1000 for taxes and it is about the price of two M fare tix using SWU's for UG. Using the companion ticket, though, I get the guarantee of a Business class ticket on the flights I want.
So, can someone help me understand the disparity between the D fares that I see and the ones that Amex is quoting?
I just booked YUL-DME via ZRH on LX using the Amex Companion program. The base fare I was quoted by PTS was indeed a D fare (confirmed by the agent and verified on EF) that gets booked into the J fare. I don't understand how that works (get a J fare at the D fare price), but it's consistent with what I just went through.

The price for two restricted business class tickets on my dates and to my destination is almost $12,800. The savings through the IAP is about 34%. The cardholder pays the D fare price, and the companion pays the taxes.

I've never tried to use this program before, but the savings in my case have been very substantial.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 8:08 am

Programs: DL DM & 2MM; Marriott Ambassador;Lifetime Titanium; IHG Spire Elite; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist
Correct me if I'm wrong, but is what ffsim just said in direct contradiction to what mia said just above? One is saying D availability but paying J fare and the other is saying D pricing for a J fare.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 11:57 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Correct me if I'm wrong, but is what ffsim just said in direct contradiction to what mia said just above? One is saying D availability but paying J fare and the other is saying D pricing for a J fare.
You're not wrong -- it's definitely different from what mia said. And honestly, I was under the same impression at mia -- I was expecting to pay the full J fare. It could possible be a peculiarity specific to LX's contract with Amex, but that's just a guess. All I know is the Fare Basis noted on my eTicket is DWRC7/IAPCN where DWRC7 is definitely a D fare according to EF.

For the sake of comparison, here are the other airlines we considered:

Airline | Lowest Business Fare x2 | Savings w/IAP
KL | $11,633 | 9%
BA | $10,856 | -19%

We didn't look at LH as they were (are?) on strike, but 2 of the 3 airlines we considered offered substantial savings over buying 2 restrictive tickets outright.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 12:19 pm
mia

American Express has been touting: Benefit from lower fares. At many airlines "J" or "C" is the full business class fare, "D" is a modestly discounted fare, and "I" or "Z" is the deeply discounted fare. In this example it appears that the IAP fare is based on "D" rather than "J", but typically the fare difference between J and D is not large.

What I was trying to convey in my earlier post is that IAP fares may require the availability of seats in specified fare buckets other than the booking fare bucket. For example the carrier might required the availability of two seats in "I" bucket even though the fare is a "D" bucket.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by mia
What I was trying to convey in my earlier post is that IAP fares may require the availability of seats in specified fare buckets other than the booking fare bucket. For example the carrier might required the availability of two seats in "I" bucket even though the fare is a "D" bucket.
That's consistent with what I was told. Thanks for explaining!
Old Sep 26, 2012, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ffsim
The price for two restricted business class tickets on my dates and to my destination is almost $12,800.
Yikes, seems high. Maybe an ex-YUL or ex-Canada thing. One can usually get a discount business class ticket from Eastern US to Europe for under $4k r/t with enough advance purchase and a Saturday night stay. Obviously without the A/P or minimum stay, the fares will be much higher and the IAP will probably offer meaningful savings.

And to Asia/Pacific the discounts are usually less (though more common than pre-recession), so IAP is more likely to offer value.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 1:06 pm

Programs: Star Alliance, OneWorld, SkyTeam
Companion Business Class Ticket

Has anyone used AMEX platinum companion business class ticket offer recently ?

Last edited by styxl; Apr 5, 2013 at 3:38 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.